Dynamic Turtle needs a new phono stage - Budget up to £1500

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Dynamic Turtle, Apr 20, 2006.

1. Dynamic Turtle

3DSonics away working hard on "it"

Hi,

The solution I have been employing for running US Gear was a self build power conditioner/stepdown transformer. I used a commercial (Nuvotem-Talema) 1KVA encapsulated torroidal transformer fitted with a DC trap on the primary and with two 55V secondaries. These where wired to provide "balanced power" at 110V nominal.

Using a seperate smaller transformer to provide buck/boost on the primary I simply adjust the output voltage under load to 115V or whatever is needed. Note that the balanced 57.5V AC Output from this conditioner/stepdown is under current legistlation considered "SELV" (safety extra low voltage) but the primary connection to the mains is obviously not.

You might want to let CJ know. That might damage his standing with CJ more than anything else, including grey importing.

Ciao T

3DSonics, Apr 26, 2006
  2. Dynamic Turtle

Dynamic Turtle The Bydo Destroyer

I fully intend to.

Dynamic Turtle, Apr 26, 2006
  3. Dynamic Turtle

leonard smalls GufmeisterGeneral

First I heard of the infamous Branco was in about 1988... He's still going!

leonard smalls, Apr 26, 2006
  4. Dynamic Turtle

It truly beggars belief. I can only assume he offers extremely competitive terms to the brands he represents.

The blame must lie with the manufacturers. If they gave a toss, people like Branco probably wouldn't be in business.

DT

5. Dynamic Turtle

badchamp Thermionic Member

I too have had the Branco experience and I too will not buy from him again but his stable does keep CJ in company of other high end aspirational brands and he does get VERY frequent reviews in HFN, Colloms seeming an avid CJ fan - never a bad review. What more could CJ want?

I'm under the impression that CJ may have had complaints abt Branco before but general public probably deal with his retailers rather than AFreaks themselves.

Jeff

badchamp, Apr 26, 2006
  6. Dynamic Turtle

Well, CJ may be "aspirational" here, but it appears to be just another brand (albeit a good one) in the states.

Hi-Fi+ also seem to get a load Audiofreak brands in their pages. Think they mentioned somewhere they review whatever is provided to them, and Audiofreaks just so happens to provide them with a lot of stuff, in a timely fashion (hopefully because he's not selling any of it!).

DT

7. Dynamic Turtle

Lol, just thought I'd check out hifi+ next issue contents and low & behold, there's a conrad johnson amplification review and an Avalon speaker review (both audiofreak brands). AND EVEN MORE on the B&W diamond tweeter, just in case you hadn't had enough B&W in the last five issues :( . I guess they're due some exposure having bought the back cover of hifi+ every issue for the last three years.....

8. Dynamic Turtle

OK, we have a winner. After a solid week of negotiating, calling around, begging and hassling innocent dealers, I've ordered an Audio Research PH5 (http://www.soundstage.com/vinyl/vinyl200512.htm).

I went over budget, but I got a very good price for an ex-dem model from a London dealer. Absolute Sounds were very helpful in locating it for me.

Should be with me this time next week (has to go through a full diagnostic before they're allowed to ship it, apparently). Will let you know how it sounds in due course....

Thanks for all your help - you've been indispensable as usual!!

DT

Dynamic Turtle, Apr 27, 2006
  9. Dynamic Turtle

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

Its supposed to be very good DT. I haven't heard it though, and am interested to hear your thoughts when you get it.

bottleneck, Apr 27, 2006
  10. Dynamic Turtle

Well, its not garnered universal praise - there seem to be quite a lot of people out there that don't like it!

I'm sure it will sound fine.

DT

Dynamic Turtle, Apr 27, 2006
  11. Dynamic Turtle

anon_bb Honey Badger

Try it out - compare it with a few things - then sell it on if you prefer something else.

anon_bb, Apr 27, 2006
Ask a Question