Dynavector Superstereo

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Alex S, Sep 17, 2003.

1. Alex S

Alex S User

I've got one plugged into the system now with a pair of Gallo Grapefruits.

Its early days but so far it seems astoundingly good. Huge increase in dynamics, much better instrument and note definition, tons of round earth virtues with no downside whatever that I've identified: all important musical virtues still intact if not enhanced.

Whilst it does improve all music it majors on classical and acoustic but also stuff that needs lots of propulsion to really hit the spot - Dreadzone and the like.

Alex

Alex S, Sep 17, 2003
  2. Alex S

sideshowbob Trisha

So how do you wire one of these up then? I remember reading a review of it in HiFi+ and not believing a word of it.

-- Ian

sideshowbob, Sep 17, 2003
  3. Alex S

The Devil IHTFP

Note nerd

Alex, haven't you got a job on a hi-fi mag yet? Or P*** A*di*?

Note definition!!!

Snigger.

A recommendation from you has to be viewed these days through Parry-filtered, Toy-destroying, rose-tinted specs.

Rgds,

The Devil, Sep 17, 2003
  4. Alex S

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

Dynamics, yes the Dynaector Hx1.2 we had on test, needed all the help in the dynamics dept it can get If I remember :rolleyes: so proberbly a wise buy for you Alex :)

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 17, 2003
    wadia-miester, Sep 17, 2003
  5. Alex S

Alex S User

Bub, note definition is something you'd know very little about.

WM, I understand your lack of enthusiasm for something that plays classical and acoustic music properly.

Sideshowbob, I didn't believe a word either. This is certainly a first for RG for me, although Merlin would surely claim he was right about Pythons too.

Alex

Alex S, Sep 17, 2003
  6. Alex S

Alex S User

BTW bub, the Superstereo is distributed by a retired gent in Bournemouth, an old friend of the late Dr Tominari and is nothing whatever to do with Pear Audio.

Anyway, congratulations on your Mana Rep of the Year Award.

Alex

Alex S, Sep 17, 2003
  7. Alex S

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

Alex, a perfect observation for James, but a touch below the Belt sir, it certainly does more in those area's than you give it credit for :) WM

wadia-miester, Sep 17, 2003
  8. Alex S

The Devil IHTFP

Great news! If there's one thing that retired people in Bournemouth are known for, it's their fine ear for hi-fi.

Yark!

Note definition is rather risible, no? Si. Could one ever be taking oneself terribly seriously?

The Devil, Sep 18, 2003
  9. Alex S

Steven Toy

I heard a demo of this back in November 2001 at the Manchester Airport Show. I was unimpressed - seemed very round earth from what would otherwise be a flat earth manufacturer. They were using an Arcam Alpha 7 CDP - talk about mullet!

[ Toy using his open eyes and possibly false memory... ]

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 18, 2003
    Steven Toy, Sep 18, 2003
  10. Alex S

Alex S User

Steven, something you heard in a crappy hotel bedroom with a crappy CDP two years ago didn't terribly impress. So?

Bub, the bit of your reply that's in English is rather silly.

Alex

Alex S, Sep 18, 2003
  11. Alex S

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

...stepping briefly beyond the hobbit baiting...

I heard one at last years heathrow show. I found it gave some of the benefits Id associate with a 5.1 system with no real negatives.

That is to say the sound seemed less to come from two speakers, and was more immersive - it was definately better with the unit than without.

Ian - it is essentially a small 2 channel amplifier. You set up a second pair of speakers and fire them STRAIGHT AT the existing pair. So you have 2 sets of speakers in front of you - with only your original pair pointing at you.

There is a time delay built into it so the sound arrives at much the same time (which is the important bit as I understand).

What would put me off is the intrusion of a second pair of speakers further into my lounge.

I liked the effect on sound though, and would reccomend it as worth trying to anyone who doesnt mind the domestic effect and looks for improvements in sound quality.

In my book I file it along with products such as super tweeters and subs.

:)

bottleneck, Sep 18, 2003
  12. Alex S

The Devil IHTFP

Alex. I can't help it when I see you writing in this new pompous stylee which you have recently adopted.

important musical virtues ... note definition

I can't imagine the old Alex S. writing this stuff. Two possibilities:

1. Nasty bang on the head.

2. Alien abduction. You are in fact a Venusian plant.

I blame the pods.

The Devil, Sep 18, 2003
  13. Alex S

Alex S User

I will try to do better. In the meantime, I'm happy to be the kettle to your pot. You've been seriously and pompously ranting on about angle iron for what now seems like for ever. Can't you rant on about ATCs again by way of a change?

Alex

Alex S, Sep 18, 2003
  14. Alex S

The Devil IHTFP

Alex

Yes, I find that the ATCs give me all the important musical virtues which I value, in particular the note definition is very well, erm, defined. Especially the oft-overlooked second halfs of notes.

Where do you get all this meaningless jargon from? It's turning words into candy-floss. What appears substantial on first inspection melts away to nothing when examined properly. Then again, I suppose it might impress some of the punters.

The Devil, Sep 18, 2003
  15. Alex S

Alex S User

Some of Bub's 'How to set up a Hi-Fi support in plain English':

<< Level is one thing; unstressed and level is another. The metal frames are a lot more floppy and flexible than they look.

There is a 'preferred shape' to the frame - i.e. the shape the frame 'wants' to be when it is under no torsional (twisting) stress. I believe that it is absolutely vital to set up the frames in their unstressed condition - I can hear the effect that this has had!

The same goes for the boards.

I repeat, if you do the central finger-lift test on both boards and frames when setting-up, you needn't worry.>>

Right.

Alex S, Sep 18, 2003
  16. Alex S

The Devil IHTFP

You've lost me. What is unclear about that?

The Devil, Sep 18, 2003
Ask a Question