e.a.r 834 or t integrated - experience of?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by peez, Mar 8, 2009.

1. peez

peez

Hi all

anyone tried or use either of these - thinking valves may be the way forward, or tdp's hybrid version

thinking of listening to one , either the straight valve or "t" hybrid, to replace my sugden a21a, i love my sugden but find it can find some complex pieces (when i rarely play Unkle etc) too much.

speakers are zingali's tt is gyro se, phono stage is 834p sig (which i like the sound of)

peez, Mar 8, 2009
  2. peez

tones compulsive cantater

I have an 834L, a wonderful-looking gadget. I play it through a Quad 606 to LS3/5as and a Sizmik subwoofer. I am a predominantly classical listener, mainly baroque and 19th century orchestral.

I bought it because I was curious to hear whether a valve machine would make a difference. I had previously used Quad 33 and 44 pre-amps. I can now alternate between the 44 and the 834. And the difference is - none whatsoever.

tones, Mar 8, 2009
  3. peez

Nomoretweaks Tourist on tilt

I used to have both Zingali Overtures and EAR amps, but not those models you have mentioned. So I can only guess - if you feel that your woofers need more control (and Zingali bass does need some grip) go for hybrid, if you want your horn to sound beautiful - go for tubes. Pretty obvious, isn't it. I have never heard the hybrid, but a guy whom I trust says is lacks the usual EAR magic. Others like it a lot.
    EAR amps are a good match for Zingali, but not as good IMO as Audio Note. But it is a matter of taste.

I also had Quad preamp, it was 99, not 44. And it was nowhere near 834L. Compared to EAR the 99 was veiled, anemic and simply boring.

Nomoretweaks, Mar 12, 2009
  4. peez

peez

thanks for that, appreciated
    so audio note even better? which audio notes in not silly money bracket? obviously will listen anyhow,
    and why did you change from ear/zingali combo?

peez, Mar 13, 2009
  5. peez

kt66

that's worrying - the 44 is very dull sounding, and holds back a lot of upper freqs. But I always thought the 834L sounds boring.

kt66, Mar 17, 2009
Ask a Question