e-mailing hifi dealers

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Matt F, Jan 7, 2004.

1. Matt F

Matt F

Is it just me or have any of you had similar experiences:

You see something you are interest in on a dealers website, you want to find out more info/ask about p/ex value etc so you e-mail them using the contact e-mail given (usually sales@whatever) and....

Nothing happens - no reply, nothing. This has happened to me several times. In fact once I enquired about some speakers over the telephone (having had no reply to an e-mail I sent) and the guy said "Ah, yes, did you send me an e-mail about these?" - "Yes I blo*dy did but you never bothered to reply" is what I should have said but didn't of course.

I don't know - it just seems very poor to me - if you set up an e-mail address for sales enquiries then, assuming you are interested in selling gear/providing good customer service, I would have thought you should at least reply to them within 24 hours.

Any thoughts?

Matt.

Matt F, Jan 7, 2004
  2. Matt F

skp574

Have emailed twice before. One to Sevenoaks S&V (Bromley) and no reply at all. Second time to Audio-T in Epsom and I did get a reply but still awaiting a phonecall to say then the equipment is available for demostration.

So mixed results for me. But you can't beat good old face to face conversation IMO, if of course you are local to the dealer.

skp574, Jan 7, 2004
  3. Matt F

penance Arrogant Cock

same experiances here aswell.

boils my p$%** it does, if they want to you the web as an advertiseing medium they should be prepared to deal with email aswell
    i got to the point where no reply to email = ill take my bussiness elsewhere:mad:

penance, Jan 7, 2004
  4. Matt F

julian2002 Muper Soderator

i've had mixed responses, from none, to 'oh yes you e-mailed didn;t you' when i phoned them a rew days later to replied in the same internet session (when i was on dialup).
    i now try to use the phone if they give a number and i'm serious however a tentative offer via e-mail at a knockdown price cos they've had the gear for months is always worth a punt.
    if i e-mail a shop about some kit, get no reply and then buy it elsewhere i always e-mail them with the amount i spent telling them it could have been theirs.
    cheers

julian

julian2002, Jan 7, 2004
  5. Matt F

MartinC Trainee tea boy

Yup, I've tried e-mailing Radford's in Bath a couple of times and got absolutely no reply. MAX managed to reply within a day the one time I tried them though.

It's not just HiFi companies - there are loads of companies that have websites, with e-mail addresses for questions but then just don't bother to read the mail! If they didn't have an e-mail address then fine, but if they do they should damn well read it :gatling:

I'm still waiting for Curry's to get back to me about delivering a fridge after just over two years for instance...

MartinC, Jan 7, 2004
  6. Matt F

adam

The only people i found who reply within 12 hours,are the Americans,I've yet to have a problem with them,and i would especially like to thank Ed at Conrad Johnson who has been absolutely fantastic,paitent,and has responded to all of my questions,these people now how to run a buisness and look after there customers ,even though the product isn't new,shame the distributers cant match it.

adam, Jan 7, 2004
  7. Matt F

technobear Ursine Audiophile

I've used email on a few occassions when dealing with Paul Green Hifi in Bath and they have always replied within a day :)

It's not fair to expect an immediate reply. These people don't have time to keep on popping into a back room to check the emails. I think a reply within 24 hours is quite acceptable.

technobear, Jan 7, 2004
  8. Matt F

Tenson Moderator

Some of the China based compenies are the best I have seen. CattyLink always replied within 3hours. Even on Christmas day!!!

Tenson, Jan 7, 2004
  9. Matt F

greg Its a G thing

I get particularly sore about this issue. Whilst I dont expect a reply within 4 hours, I do expect a reply within a day. Most places seem to treat it as "optional" as to whether they bother responding quickly if at all, yet I bet they read it sooner than you might expect.

Stoneaudio.co.uk are bad for this. If you do manage to speak to one of the main folks they are really nice and up for a chat, but if you send a message via their site or a direct email they just dont bother getting back to you - at all. Pisses me off.

greg, Jan 7, 2004
  10. Matt F

SimonConnell

A certain dealer, who shall remain unnamed, has had exactly the same S/H listing for nearly 2 years now. And he's not got half of it in stock, and didn't back then. I know, because I e-mailed them about some kit about 2 years ago and they said it had been sold recently and they would update the website, and they still haven't.

Muppets :mad:

Oh well! I wish the Emporium would update their site more often, but only because they've usually got good stuff, and it's all usually gone within a day or two of it being posted up there.
    Simon

SimonConnell, Jan 7, 2004
  11. Matt F

michaelab desafinado

I don't think they celebrate Christmas in China so it's just a normal working day ;)

Michael.

michaelab, Jan 7, 2004
  12. Matt F

Rory satisfied

Emporium and the Edge S&V are quite good around my neck of the woods for emailing back the next day

all car hifi places have emailed back the next day too....

Rory, Jan 7, 2004
  13. Matt F

MartinC Trainee tea boy

Yes, they are good, I forgot about them before. Nice guys to deal with for budget/low mid price stuff too.

Now I think of it another place I've completely failed to get e-mail responses from is The Emporium. Possibly they only bother to reply if you enquire about something they haven't already sold?

MartinC, Jan 8, 2004
  14. Matt F

Matt F

So I'm not alone then. Good.

Time to name and shame methinks - I e-mailed hifilondon.co.uk on Tuesday just before lunch and have heard nothing. I was thinking they maybe get a lot spam e-mail and can't be bothered to look through it all - however, my e-mail has a subject of the gear in question so it should stand out. No excuses here.

Maybe what I am enquiring about isn't expensive enough to interest them - uh, I don't think so - it's a processor that, even after a hefty ex-dem discount, is still over £2K!

Maybe they'll reply today - I won't hold my breath though.

Matt.

Matt F, Jan 9, 2004
  15. Matt F

Matt F

In the interests of fairness I have to report that I received a comprehensive reply to my e-mail today. Okay, so it took them a week but they did get back to me with what I wanted to know.

Matt.

Matt F, Jan 13, 2004
Ask a Question