EAC help please?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by DrMartin, Mar 4, 2010.

1. DrMartin

amdismal

EAC is an excellent ripper but a pain to set up if you are unfamiliar with the concept of secure ripping. Conversely it could be said as a good way to get very familiar with secure ripping, but whether that is a creditable outcome is debatable!

If you wish to use EAC, start off with a guide to its setup like this one:
    http://blowfish.be/eac/Setup/setup1.html

If you want something rather easier (and usually faster), dBPowerAmp fits the bill, as recommended earlier. It is almost as good and flexible as EAC, and a doddle to set up and use.

I used EAC for my collection. While slow, I knew it was getting it right, and I like that! Were I to have to do the whole thing again (I know a lot more now than I did when I first started ripping), EAC would be my choice again. YMMV :)

amdismal, Mar 6, 2010
  2. DrMartin

DrMartin

Thanks for that amdismal. I found that guide on Thursday night and it helped to get the directories and file names etc sorted out.

The next challenge is the disc caching test but I haven't really had the time to sort all of that out yet. It would appear to be very important to get that right to ensure that it isn't re-reading from the cache. On the initial set up (before I found that guide) my drive reported "no disc caching" but apparently they can lie.

I'm in no real rush so I'll work through it all.

Thanks again

DrMartin, Mar 6, 2010
  3. DrMartin

Paul Ranson

I recommend you also try dbPoweramp. This does the critical bit, which is AccurateRip and is (relatively) user friendly right out of the box. It also does tagging and coverart without any mucking about.

Normal mode would be to rip 'insecure', so it goes at full speed, and most CDs will rip 'accurately'. The (hopefully) few that cause problems can be cleaned and ripped 'securely'.

Paul

Paul Ranson, Mar 6, 2010
  4. DrMartin

DrMartin

Thanks Paul, I did download it - along with half a dozen others - the other night but just haven't got around to trying it out yet.

IIRC that one was only on a 30 day trial though? I could be wrong about that, my head is spinning with all this stuff at the moment.

What exactly is tagging? That get's mentioned a lot in these programmes but I have no idea what it means???

When I ripped a couple of discs in Media Monkey the other night, as an experiment, it created a very messy directory and file structure with what looked to me like multiple copies and multiple Folders all over the place - all very confusing.

DrMartin, Mar 6, 2010
  5. DrMartin

semiferger

Help with audio CD using backup using EAC at Software forum; I made a backup of my audio CD, resulting in a single big wave file and a cue file. How do I burn this as an audio CDR using Nero , can anybody tell me which menu/tool in Nero to use, please?

semiferger, Mar 9, 2010
  6. DrMartin

Paul Ranson

Stuff like artist/album/track identification. It gets written into the file in a well known way so that players and servers can be more useful. Also cover art can be bundled into the file. And useful extra information like genre, composer etc.

I think dbPoweramp works for ever for free but not in its highest performance form. It was cheap enough that I paid for it. I used the default set up and had to set a root directory, under that each artist gets a directory and then within that each album. Each track ends up with an informative name. Compilations all go into 'various'. Because of the tagging the player can find all tracks by a given artist wherever they end up stored. Classical can require a little more thought.

Paul

Paul Ranson, Mar 9, 2010
  7. DrMartin

Basil

Especially when Freedb returns the "disc not found" response!

Basil, Mar 9, 2010
  8. DrMartin

wvanbakel

DrMartin,

EAC is an excellent choice, it verifies your rips against AccurateRip, which is a database with CRC's collected by many other rippers. The idea is that when your own CRC's are equal to the database, then you rip is accurate, even when you rip at fastest speed.

For the tracking information, you need to enable data retrieving from freedb.org, which is disabled by default.

Here is a very nice guide to get EAC working the way you like:
    http://blowfish.be/eac/

wvanbakel, Mar 26, 2010
  9. DrMartin

Dev Moderator

Many Thanks for the link wvanbakel. I recently tried to rip a CD with EAC but wasn't very successful. I.e. I saw no flac files on my drive. I checked the procedure described in the link above and discovered that it is exactly what I was doing but still had no luck. Then I noticed a comment about Vista users having to run the application as an administrator. Did that and hey presto!:).

Dev, Mar 26, 2010
Ask a Question