EAR 859 amp

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by anubisgrau, Aug 9, 2006.

1. anubisgrau

anubisgrau

even more strangely, now i've noticed it has a phono section.

anubisgrau, Aug 9, 2006
  2. anubisgrau

coolhand

that phono label is just that ! you still need to get a phono pre of your choice and connect to any input, but EAR labeller this one as phon for convenience...

coolhand, Aug 9, 2006
  3. anubisgrau

anubisgrau

hmpf! bastardos.

anubisgrau, Aug 9, 2006
  4. anubisgrau

LiloLee Blah, Blah, Blah.........

Used to have this exact combo. It did not work as well as expected.

The slight rise in mid bass of the LS3/5a's together with, what I found, to be a slightly similar one in the 859 made for a veiling of the sound, with too rich a mid bass which over emphasised the lack of bass in the LS3/5a's. They did go loud enough though, or at least for me.

Shame as I did like the 859.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 9, 2006
    LiloLee, Aug 9, 2006
  5. anubisgrau

coolhand

Interesting point about the slight midbass hump, this was apparent to me initially with my speakers and the 859 also, so I investigated further under the hood...and replaced the coupling caps with mundorf silver in oils....
    It has been the single biggest improvement to my systems' sound I've done, more apparent than changing cables, tubes, speaker postioning or otherwise.
    Like removing a cloak from my speakers ! ...and not only did the extremes of frequency become extended but the previously apparent hump in the low mids has been totally eradicated.
    My girlfriend noticed it immediately and commented on the improved clarity, so I knew I was not alone in my perception.
    In fact, the sound further improved over a period as the caps settled in....:D

coolhand, Aug 10, 2006
  6. anubisgrau

anubisgrau

it is only left to be wondered why did you get rid of it

anubisgrau, Aug 10, 2006
  7. anubisgrau

coolhand

Who said I got rid of it.....???
    Unless I get home tonight and it's been stolen, that amp is going nowhere, besides I have just received an 869 board from Tim deParavicini 2 weeks ago to retrofit.
    Whilst i'm at it i'm upgrading all sockets and internal wiring to 4 9's pure copper.
    Those tubes I spoke of previously, I further have in transit at this minute from Germany a pair of NOS Telefunken ECC85's as the 869 board uses an additional tube (making 4 in total for the input gain stage, 2x 6DJ's and 2x 6AQ8's, instead of the 3 x 6DJ's I currently use the 859 board).
    Also the 869 offers you the ability to split the pre and power sections, which is amongst other reasons I spoke to Tim about gettiing his most recent revision of the 869 circuit.
    This will allow me to use a passive TVC preamp between my non oversampling tube cd player to feed it, instead of the internal Alps pot attenuator....:cool:

coolhand, Aug 10, 2006
  8. anubisgrau

anubisgrau

if i get you correctly, you bought 859 and now you are upgrading it to 869, right or wrong?

anubisgrau, Aug 10, 2006
Ask a Question