Ebay - advice wanted.

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by davidcotton, Jul 10, 2003.

1. davidcotton

davidcotton prog rocker, proud of it!

Hi

Well just browsing ebay as you do and came across something that I might be intrested in.

How many of you have used Ebay to buy stuff like amps, speakers etc? Have you had any hassle? Had great service? Is there anything that I should or shouldn't do? Also is there anything to look out for? Would be using the buy it now option (can't be arsed with the bidding).

I'm basically worried about splashing the cash (well using the ole cc anyway:MILD: ) and being stitched up. If thats the case then i'd rather leave it and see if I can get something from the dealers whether it be secondhand exdem whatever.

Of course I'm not very good at making descisions in a hurry when it comes to money so am likely to miss out this time round.

Cheers...

davidcotton, Jul 10, 2003
  2. davidcotton

cookiemonster

not a ZX7?;)

Advice for e-bay........................................PATIENCE ....and fun (occasionaly)

cookiemonster, Jul 10, 2003
  3. davidcotton

lordsummit moderate mod

Have now bought an amp, a tuner, speakers an AV sysem and turntable, plus about 300 LP's form Ebay, have only had one problem and that was as a seller. If the vendor has a decent set of feedback, and it's on the whole good.......you always get one rsole you will I'm sure be fine, I've no complaints. I always pay by Paypal because it means there are no delays while cheques clear, and if you can go and collect. Make sure that you don't pay over the odds. I tend to stick a bid in for the maximum I think it's worth, then try not to go back too often, I don't want to get drawn into bidding wars. If my bid wins fine, if not there'll be another along shortly. Also that way if you don't like the item you can always get shut of it the same way.

lordsummit, Jul 10, 2003
  4. davidcotton

ram Not Registered

I've bought a Arcam A22 and P25 from seperate sellers and never had any problems. Infact totally the opposite, they were both very friendly and extremely helpful.

Check the feedback and have a look at what they've bought and sold in the past which can give you an idea of the type of person your dealing with. Always get an address, if they refuse to give you one then treat with caution.

Don't get carried away, especially towards the end of an auction when the bid frenzy starts.

ram
    ________
    Honda gl500i

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 4, 2011
    ram, Jul 10, 2003
  5. davidcotton

Chea Johndle Bizarre Serpent Foomaster

Hi,

I have used it quite a lot...bought amps, tuners etc..no probs...but check the sellers feedback..its usually a good indication of the sellers "honesty";)

Regards

Chea Johndle, Jul 10, 2003
  6. davidcotton

SCIDB Moderator

Hi

I'm another one way has used Ebay. I have used it quite alot. It is an easy way of buying & selling. Most of the time it has been plain sailing. Nice & easy. Most times, people are very good to deal with. There are a number of point you need to be aware of.

Ebay is an auction site. You bid for the item in question. I have seen people get carried away & bid well over the odds. So do your homework & research the item you want. Try & find out the going rate for it. Set yourself a limit & stick to it.

Check the sellers feedback. This can give an indication of who you are dealing with and the sort of stuff he/she has sold before. Be wary of people with a lot of negatives feedback. Questions to the seller is always a useful move. If buying record or cds, try & get a description of items & condition.

If it's an expensive purchase, the best way is to pick it up in person & pay cash. That way you can see it in action before you part with any money.

You can still get bargains on Ebay, I have picked a number up over the years. A lot of my HiFi collection has been picked on Ebay. I have gained a hell of a lot of records from Ebay :D .

SCIDB

SCIDB, Jul 10, 2003
  7. davidcotton

tones compulsive cantater

I got my Quad 34 and 405-2 via E-Bay. I was (and am) completely happy with everything.

tones, Jul 10, 2003
  8. davidcotton

MO! MOnkey`ead!

Had tuner, amp, dac, rack, cds, and loads of other bits and pieces in the past with no problems. (Did have one problem over on hififorsale.com once though! grrrr!!!).

I agree with all that's said above. Don't get sucked into it, it can feel like it's getting personal toward the end when the bidding war starts. No need to go in and start pushing the price up too early. Be patient, it's probable it (or perhaps even something better) will turn up again, soon. I often do a search for auctions of the same item that have already ended to get an idea what's a reasonable price.

As for *safety* again what's already been said. Try and collect or meet. It's normal if paying by cheque for the seller to have it cleared (5 days?) before posting. Feedback can tell you alot.

There's also the obvious things about going around a strangers house to collect with him knowing you have "x" aMOunt of cash on you. :eek: But again, I've never had any problems :D If they're selling something it's likely it's due to upgrading, so may give you the chance to listen to some other tasty kit :D

OH! And if the item is still under guarantee, get the reciept! Best to ask if this is possible beforehand.

Cheers

MO

:D

MO!, Jul 11, 2003
Ask a Question