eBay commission for £17,150 item anyone?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by 7_V, Dec 19, 2003.

1. 7_V

7_V I want a Linn - in a DB9

Hi guys

I couldn't help but notice that my perfect crossover (contains no components and cabinet not included) - eBay item: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3065668956&category=14993&rd=1 has attracted a top bid of £17,150.00 (so far).

Does anyone know what commissions I would have to pay to eBay? :eek:

Anyway, here's the irony. I was removing this perfect crossover from its cabinet, ready to ship it to the lucky winner, when I lost it. I just dropped it and couldn't find it again. That's one of the problems with these invisible pieces of kit. :confused: :confused:

I guess I'll have to end the listing early. Not too early though. I've got no idea why but the item seems to be generating quite a lot of interest, judging by the number of people visiting. ;)

:beamup:

7_V, Dec 19, 2003
  2. 7_V

Tom Alves

Yes but are they visiting your site as well?

Tom Alves, Dec 19, 2003
  3. 7_V

It's been a record day, Tom (also helped by someone on the Full-Range Driver forum picking up the eBay advert).

7_V, Dec 19, 2003
  4. 7_V

Tom Alves

I'll have to have a listen to the new setup when I get where I'm going (4 weeks). Will the speakers match the decor?

Tom Alves, Dec 19, 2003
  5. 7_V

Funny you should mention that Tom. I've only yesterday been consulting with my style guru on that very subject.

As the speakers are being offered in a piano-lacquered finish (I use the same company that does B & W and Audionote), we can offer them in just about any colour that customers want.

'Rega orange' or 'Naim charcoal' perhaps?

7_V, Dec 19, 2003
  6. 7_V

Tom.

As nobody is going to pay you, you don't have to pay the Ebay fees.

Tom., Dec 20, 2003
  7. 7_V

TonyL Club Krautrock Plinque

It's a bit more complex than that! You first need to file a 'non-paying bidder alert' and then request a 'final value fee credit' after a few days – at this time the disputed amount is removed from the amount eBay debit from your bank account.

Tony.

TonyL, Dec 20, 2003
  8. 7_V

titian

Is this the new way of advertising?
    Or is there anything serious about this?

titian, Dec 20, 2003
  9. 7_V

SCIDB Moderator

Hi,

TonyL is right, you will have to pay Final Value Fees. The rates are printed below

0 - £29.99 5.25% for the amount of the current high bid (at the listing close for auction-style listings) up to £29.99

£30.00 - £599.99 3.25% for the part of the current high bid from £30.00 up to £599.99

£600.00 and up 1.75% for the balance of the current high bid greater than £600.00

I would look at ending it early or you may have wad of money leaving your accounts.

SCIDB

SCIDB, Dec 20, 2003
  10. 7_V

quickie

Up to 10.000,000.........that's one big FVF;)

Paul.

quickie, Dec 20, 2003
  11. 7_V

So no need to worry guys. Everything is under control. No money will change hands (except for the initial eBay listing fee), a good time was had by all and I hope that those people who visited the Seventh Veil web site after reading this advert had a smile on their faces when they arrived.

I have to say that the £18K price tag is acting like a neon sign and the advert is pulling them in like never before. I'll cut it as fine as I dare before ending the auction early (under the 'lost or damaged' category).

Must go now. I've got to wrap up some power stations that I'm giving away as Xmas pressies.

Steve

PS: Titian, I don't know if this is a new way to advertise (if so, it's certainly a cost effective way) but yes, there is a serious technical point made in the 'the best crossover is no crossover' advert. I take my speaker design very seriously but, as the adverts hint, perhaps I don't take myself quite as seriously.

7_V, Dec 20, 2003
  12. 7_V

Tom Alves

Perhaps they'll pay you and you can send them an empty box :)

Tom Alves, Dec 20, 2003
  13. 7_V

Nice thought but unlikely. We've hit £10 million.

7_V, Dec 20, 2003
Ask a Question