Ebay - Feel angry and ripped off

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by amazingtrade, Feb 9, 2005.

1. amazingtrade

amazingtrade Mad Madchestoh fan

I always thought I was a good consumer however I ordered a PIII base unit last week as I need a second PC for an assignment. I have since sent them emails asking how long it takes to come but have had no reply, they replied to questions straight away from buying.

Have also tried phoning them but the number turns out to be a mobile and there is no answer.

It seems this seller is selling cheap books to get good feedback, but when doing furthe research in the last month he has two negative feedbacks as the buyers have not reiceved the goods, I have just emailed these buyers to ask if they have reiceved them yet.

They call them selves a disivion of a certain company, I checked on companies house and there is no record of them, so it seems this is a sole trader :(

People have reiceved their PCs but its often too late, I need a PC this weekend to do this on, so if its not come by fiirday I will just have to build one myself which is what I should have done in the first place :mad:

They also claim VAT is included in the price, yet there is no VAT registration number, surely this breaks trading standard laws? What if I wanted to claim the VAT back?

Surely this is no way to run a business which is why I am convinced this is just a delboy type person.

Just really annoyed about it, if I ever sell PCs on ebay I send them out the same day and they recieved them within 48 hours.

amazingtrade, Feb 9, 2005
  2. amazingtrade

themadhippy seen it done it smokin it

got an addres for them? if so send the boys round to give them a little reminder

themadhippy, Feb 9, 2005
  3. amazingtrade

No address so I decided to play dective, companies house returned nothing so the company does not exist, although he could legamatly be a sole trader. So then I tried a nomiment search on their website and his home address came up.

I think it is genuine, he is probably just a bit rude and very slow. However he has £60 of my money and there has been no contact at all.

4. amazingtrade

Bob McC living the life of Riley

what's a nomiment search?

Bob

Bob McC, Feb 9, 2005
  5. amazingtrade

Nominet, its the people that regulate the registrations of UK domains, they offer a nice WHOIS search that tells you who has registered a domain name. You can find out where people live this way.

6. amazingtrade

Graham C

Maybe he's on holiday, has the flu, or doesn't think a week is a long time

Graham C, Feb 9, 2005
  7. amazingtrade

But somebody gave him negative feedback two weeks ago for the exact same thing, he was well enough to answer my emails an hour before I bought it and he as I said above he has put lots more adverts on ebay after I had bought it, so he is still ebaying.

8. amazingtrade

lordsummit moderate mod

A week isn't really a long time. If you paid by paypal he'd not have got the money in his bank account yet, by a cheque it might just have cleared.......

lordsummit, Feb 9, 2005
  9. amazingtrade

garyi Wish I had a Large Member

Cavet Empor mate he had the neg feedback when you placed the bid, really you should be angry at yourself.

garyi, Feb 9, 2005
  10. amazingtrade

No that negative feedback was left two days after I had bidded. The most he's going to get from me is nuetral feedback for poor communications and for not making his policies clear. I am not annoyed so much about the delivery taking ages but more about the fact he ignores my emails and phone calls.

When ever I have sold PCS I have made sure the buyer gets them within 3 days.

11. amazingtrade

julian2002 Muper Soderator

funds usually clear in 5 days but can take longer. how's he to know you're not some nigerian scammer out to rip him off for a pc? i don;t usually buy via e-pray but if i do i make sure that a cash / pickup situation is available. if not i don;t buy it.
    if you're sending out goods before you have hard cash in your sweaty mits then you perhaps need to re-examine your ideas about business.
    cheers

julian

julian2002, Feb 9, 2005
  12. amazingtrade

Its usualy only £3 cables I sell though Julian, if its a PC I am selling then yes I would wait for funds, but it never usualy takes long.

Its the last time I will ever buy anything big from ebay though, its just not worth all the hassle.

Again I can just about understand it taking a long time but why is he not answering my emails or answering the phone?

13. amazingtrade

robs

I sell on eBay - a cheque takes 5 days to clear according to my bank. I have a full time (+!) day job so I can only get to the Post Office on a Saturday. If you are sending stuff out such that it is with them within 3 days then you are not the norm & you WILL get ripped at some point (bitter experience). IMO, Paypal is no better...as a seller, I will not use it - it can be weeks before you are informed the credit card used was stolen...but YOU will lose the dosh.
    E-bay is all about trust, and there is a lot of mistrust & growing (& rightly so in my experience, though most of what I sell/buy is low value). Buyer beware & seller beware. If I had bought something worth more than a couple of quid, I would expect it to take a little time to come through... certainly if it was a PC, or something worth 10's or 100's of pounds, I would not expect to receive it within a few days (unless I had paid extra for next day shipping etc)...do you think your expectations are realistic?

robs, Feb 9, 2005
  14. amazingtrade

garyi Wish I had a Large Member

I have had around 180 dealings on ebay the latest for an industrial potato peeler for work.

Touch wood I have never had a problem, the only real issue I had was for a Frank Zappa album which I knew to be a double but I only got one record, the seller refunded all my money and said I could keep the record.

garyi, Feb 9, 2005
  15. amazingtrade

Maybe ebay is not such a nice place anymore.

I had a problem once because I sent out a Motherboard with a Cyrix P333 chip on it, I had it on very good understanding it could be take upto an AMD K6 500, but the guy could not get his AMD chip to work in it. I said he will possibly need to flash the BIOS, in the end I asked him to return it and him pay me an extra £5 and I would send him a better motherboard with an AMD K6 chip on it, I lost out a little bit but he was extremely happy and sent lots a nice email thanking me.

The PC is only £48, its just an old PIII 733 base unit, but it still a lot of money.

I really really regret it now and wish I had just built it myself by going to lots of computer shops.

16. amazingtrade

He's a bit late and you really, really regret it. Wait til you really screw up. Get a life!

Bob

Bob McC, Feb 9, 2005
  17. amazingtrade

And your life must be so wonderful you have to resort to making insults on an internet forum like that, how old are you?

18. amazingtrade

SCIDB Moderator

Hi AT,

Lets get this straight. You bought a computer on Ebay last week, Feb 4th?
    How did you pay? If by cheque, has it cleared yet? If cleared when did it clear? I have to agree with others that a week is not long time. The cheque may not have cleared.

I have used Ebay for over 5 years and it has been, on the whole, very good. No real problems. If I'm selling & get money by cheque, the deal usually takes more than a week. Same when buying by cheque.

Paying by credit card can speed things up as well as offering some legal comeback.

But there is always an element of risk in any deal.

SCIDB

SCIDB, Feb 10, 2005
  19. amazingtrade

Its was paid for on thursday using paypall, the money came out of my bank on thursday evening, and I understand paypall offers some kind of proectection so the seller knows instantly the money is come out and they will get, evenif it hasn't cleared yet.

I am sure when I have sold things in the past paypall has said its the money has cleared even though its not gone into my account, but they offer some protection so I will get the momey no matter what.

The think I am annoyed about is lack of contact, he is putting more base units on ebay, yet won't respond to my emails (sent him two) just casualy asking how long does he think it would take to come, no reply, I tried phoning him today, no reply.

Since I boughr the machine he has recieved negative feedback from somebody who had to wait 20 days for thier machine, he said there was no contact as well.

All he had to do is say he is waiting for the money to clear or somthing then I know exactly where to stand, at the moment as I far as I am concerned I am £62 short and have got nothing to show for it.

The only reason I bought one is to save time on building one, but the amount of time my invesigation has taken has compelly made it unworthile.

In future I am only going to sell stuff on ebay. In fact the last thing I bought on there was a turntable, but it doesn't work because one of the wires going to the cartiridge is damaged, it was not worth returning it because of the postage costs.

amazingtrade, Feb 10, 2005
  20. amazingtrade

Amazingtrade
    I am a lot older and a lot wiser and a lot more experienced in life than you.
    As I said grow up. If you don't like it don't come on a public forum whining like you did.

Bob

Bob McC, Feb 10, 2005
Ask a Question