ebay - item not as described

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by MO!, Apr 28, 2006.

1. MO!

MO! MOnkey`ead!

I've had a bit of trouble paying for an item (see paypal thread) and recieved an email from the seller today

I contacted the seller before the auction for a MOdel number (it's a harddrive), and again when requesting the total cost after winning. I then asked again when sending him an email 2 days ago explaining the paypal situation.

No mention of the MOdel number, and then the above email this MOrning.

I replied to that email explainig I'd already contacted him to explain the paypal situation. appologised for the payment delay, and would pay asap. He's since replied with an appology for the email, saying it was sent to everybody. And has also given me the MOdel number....

I've looked it up, and it's not as he's described in the auction, and not what I've been after!

I've not had to pull out of a sale before, am I ok to do so?

With the delay in payment I don't want to appear like I'm just looking for a way out of it, but it isn't as described and what I'm after.

Quite annoyed as I've seen several drives that I would have bid on end since this one.

MO!, Apr 28, 2006
  2. MO!

avanzato

Well he's replied so you now know your mail's getting through, contact him again about the duff description and how is he going to sort it out. The quick n easy way to save hassle is to get a 'mutual don't want to complete' end to the sale. He'll still be able to neg you but eBay won't get upty about non completion.

avanzato, Apr 28, 2006
  3. MO!

LinearMan

You should always ask questions and seek clarification BEFORE bidding. If you're unclear on anything then don't bid and hope to sort it out ~ ask the question. If you don't receive a reply, then don't bid.

However, if the item is clearly not as described, then you do have recourse via ebay. Big but though ~ as you haven't received the item then how do you know it's not as described?!!

If the seller is acknowledging a mistake, then he may well allow you not to pay. It'd be best to get his contact number and call him to discuss ~ much unpleasantness can be avoided that way.

LinearMan, Apr 28, 2006
  4. MO!

amazingtrade Mad Madchestoh fan

One in 36 seems high, I've sold over 60 items on ebay and every single one of them paid up no problems.

If this is for a hard drive be careful buying them used because they have high failure rates. It is best to get them new with a 3 year warranty.

amazingtrade, Apr 28, 2006
  5. MO!

MO! MOnkey`ead!

He described the item in the auction, but has since sent me the MOdel number. Looking it up, it's not as he described.

MO!, Apr 28, 2006
  6. MO!

lhatkins Dazed and Confused

I've bought my notebook hard drive on Ebay, but it was new and he printed the serial number so I could check it.
    I've recently had a couple of items on ebay that have come through not as described, thankfully the items were not too expensive, would have been more hassle to send them back, so I've just agreed with them that I wasn't happy but couldn't be bothered to send it back so just didn't post any feedback. I think there should be something written into the ebay policy that if the item isn't as described then the seller is to pay for the return postages and a full refund, it should be their responsibility to get their item listed correctly. I never buy anything that doesn't have a photo of the actual item, but there is little protection for the buyer.

lhatkins, May 3, 2006
  7. MO!

garyi Wish I had a Large Member

On average I have 1 in 30 pay very late or not at all, I have two waiting now after 2 weeks.

garyi, May 4, 2006
  8. MO!

Sid and Coke

contact e-bay customer services via message or e-mail and ask for advice. If the goods are not as described then you don't have to buy them, by letting e-bay know f the potential problem you should be able to avoid getting neg'd.

My wife won an auction a couple of weeks ago. Just before she was going to pay the seller became 'No longer a member of e-bay'. She'd also changed her mind about the item , (but that's besides the point, we still would have paid).
    We contacted e-bay and they advised us not to complete the deal and that this would be acceptable.

Sid and Coke, May 4, 2006
  9. MO!

MO! MOnkey`ead!

MO!, May 31, 2006
  10. MO!

I-S Good Evening.... Infidel

As he's no longer a registered user, that should void any transactions or feedback requirements.

I-S, May 31, 2006
  11. MO!

hifikrazy

Im not surprised give his bad spelling, grammar etc. Usually a fair sign that someone is dodgy.

hifikrazy, May 31, 2006
  12. MO!

MO! MOnkey`ead!

Should that be "given" ???

Hmmm.... I'll have to keep my eye on you, seem a bit dodgy! ;)

MO!, May 31, 2006
  13. MO!

I-S Good Evening.... Infidel

Yeah, and crazy has a sea in it.

I-S, May 31, 2006
  14. MO!

avanzato

You've got to feel a extra bit sorry for the zero feedback bidder in that list of negs who got scammed. Nice introduction to eBay. :(

avanzato, May 31, 2006
  15. MO!

MO! MOnkey`ead!

Last edited by a moderator: May 31, 2006
    MO!, May 31, 2006
  16. MO!

lAmBoY Lothario and Libertine

Hard drives dont have high failure rates, but it is better to purchase new and through an authorised dealer.

lAmBoY, May 31, 2006
  17. MO!

MO! MOnkey`ead!

MO!, May 31, 2006
  18. MO!

michaelab desafinado

...and even better if they're Seagate drives :D ;)

michaelab, May 31, 2006
  19. MO!

Natch.

BTW, We've just bought Maxtor:)

lAmBoY, Jun 1, 2006
  20. MO!

Michaelab - I will be in Portugal next week for a 10 day break, anything close by to praia de luz worthwhile visiting? I will have a wife and 8month old daughter in tow - so no 'naked handsfree abseiling courses'!

ta //lamboy

lAmBoY, Jun 1, 2006
Ask a Question