Ebay problem what can I do? Buyer dosn't seem to understand english

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by amazingtrade, Jun 15, 2005.

1. amazingtrade

amazingtrade Mad Madchestoh fan

I recently sold a computer on ebay but as I was packing it up I discovered a minor fault which meant it would be difficult to get working (i.t would not boot from a floppy) I sent him an email offering a refund and apoligising, I got no reply, so yesterday I just gave him the refund on paypal to have done with it, now he has sent me the money back.

What I am supposed to do? He dosn't has not responding to any of my emails and he he won't accept my refund, but I can't ship the item out faulty.

amazingtrade, Jun 15, 2005
  2. amazingtrade

Philip King Enlightened User

How often do you need to boot from the floppy? Does it boot up normally, if so send it off, you have been more than honest so far.

have you checked the bias settings?

Philip King, Jun 15, 2005
  3. amazingtrade

Its sold without an operating system, but I didn't want to wipe the operating system off until I had the money for it, this why the fault was only discovered after I sold it. It was an IBM base unit which I rebuilt, the IBM floppy wouldn't fit into the new case so I had to use a standard Mistsumi unit.

It also dosn't boot from CD so at present once its formated there is no easy way to get an operating system onto it.

4. amazingtrade

hmmm, I'd send a very nice and simply written mail, and then start solving the problem. Does it not have DOS on it?

5. amazingtrade

Dope currently it has Windows XP Pro, I don't even have any DOS disks anymore otherwise I could just stick the HD in my machine and still CD Drivers onto the hard drive.

It dosn't really make much sense, he understood enough English to know what he was bidding on.

6. amazingtrade

Odd.

Download DOS, wipe everything, get DOS working and make sure it can boot from the floppy and CD and away you go ;-)

7. amazingtrade

Lord .

Write a nice simple, non-technical e-mail in perfect English (grammar and spelling) and then translate the English to the recipient's language using: http://www.freetranslation.com
    I suggest writing "The computer is broken, I will send your money back. I am sorry for this problem."

Put a read receipt request on the message and mark it as Urgent, and then you might get a response.
    It is also possible that their e-mail servers are blocking your messages for some reason ...

Lord, Jun 15, 2005
  8. amazingtrade

Its a problem with the BIOS though, for some reason it needs that IBM floppy, it simply dosn't support boot from CD, its an old heavily upgraded PIII.

I disconnected the hard drive and it then asked to insert a bootable flopppy, this worked fine on my PC, but on the PIII it simply kept asking me to insert a bootable floppy. The odd thinks is that the it can read and write floppies perfectly under XP.

9. amazingtrade

Tenson Moderator

Have you tried flashing the BIOS? Get a IBM floppy drive? It sounds odd, I have never encountered a system which needs a particular make of floppy drive.

I have a Ghost image of dos with cd drivers if you want it. Run ghost under windows and tell it to put that image on.

Tenson, Jun 15, 2005
  10. amazingtrade

mr cat Member of the month

I'm glad I didn't put a bid in... ;)

mr cat, Jun 15, 2005
  11. amazingtrade

Thanks I will look into it, it will be easier just to try and get him to accept a refund though as a I have a feeling if I can get some OS on it I am going to get more hassle once he's recieved it.

I might get negative feedback but all ebay has really done for me lately is cost me a furtune in fees anyway.

Ask a Question