ebay - returns policy?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by MO!, Mar 24, 2007.

1. MO!

MO! MOnkey`ead!

So, I've listed the tomtom on ebay and there's been some interest already with bids and watchers.

I've recieved an email asking about accepting returns if any problems were to occur. A reasonable question, and one I've asked myself as a buyer. However, I'm unsure how to respond having only been the seller a couple of times. I know the unit works 100%, and I know I'll package it very very well. So I see no reason why a problem might occur.

Advice on what to reply with appreciated.

MO!, Mar 24, 2007
  2. MO!

Bob McC living the life of Riley

Depends how much you value your feedback rating.

Bob McC, Mar 24, 2007
  3. MO!

MO! MOnkey`ead!

I'm not sure what you're getting at?

MO!, Mar 24, 2007
  4. MO!

unclepuncle

If your 100% sure it is mint and working perfectly when you send it then theres no way I'd offer a return policy.

unclepuncle, Mar 24, 2007
  5. MO!

garyi Wish I had a Large Member

Seems pretty fair to me, I always say i'll take it back if it ain't working.

garyi, Mar 24, 2007
  6. MO!

amazingtrade Mad Madchestoh fan

I always say it too, touch wood I have sold over 50 items now and not had a single return :). Did have some stupid woman trying to say her router wasn't working but sent her a technical email back basicaly saying that perhaps she get a man to set it up :p:

Strangely I got positive feedback for that :D

amazingtrade, Mar 24, 2007
  7. MO!

la toilette Downright stupid

It's a grey area - I try to be an honest seller, I describe things as accurately as I can, warts and all, but for electronics I think it's wise to mention that postage is at the buyers risk, and personal collection is the perfect solution so that the buyer can see it working when they collect. The only occasions when my buyers have been disappointed is once or twice when things have been smashed up in the post. Personally I wouldn't accept returns for items that were working when they left me, but I'd help with any claim against the PO/courier if that's the reason for a fault.

la toilette, Mar 24, 2007
  8. MO!

MO! MOnkey`ead!

AT, if I was close enough to require your services, you'd have quite probably have put me off using your business with that post.

MO!, Mar 24, 2007
  9. MO!

MO! MOnkey`ead!

I've often asked the same question myself when buying. Just as I also ask if collection is possible even if I'm unlikely to do so. It just helps to reassure.

I am indeed 100% sure it's working. And I've described it accurately. As new condition, but not new. There's not a single mark on it.

I've only offered the option of special delivery (free p+p with buy it now). So I think I'll go along the lines of saying I'm 100% sure it will leave me in working condition so I am unable to accept refunds, however I will assist in any claim due to damage in post. Also, they are very welcome to collect the item and see it working.

Sound fair?

MO!, Mar 24, 2007
  10. MO!

Yep.

la toilette, Mar 24, 2007
  11. MO!

Bob McC living the life of Riley

I'm not sure what you're getting at?
    Well if you do anything other than garyi suggests you are going to get negative feedback if anything is wrong on delivery. You may even get someone who sends a mail to every future bidder on all your auctions telling them you are a dishonourable thief.
    Its what I do.

Bob McC, Mar 24, 2007
  12. MO!

narabdela

You are never going to be successful on ebay unless you're willing to accept refunds. I would never buy from anyone who indicated otherwise.

narabdela, Mar 25, 2007
  13. MO!

MO! MOnkey`ead!

I'm not looking to become a full on seller if that's what you mean by successful. I very rarely sell on there.

As I've said, asking for the refund policy is a fair enough question, and one I've made myself as a buyer. I've bought about 100+ items between my current ebay account and a joint one with an ex.

The thing is, I know 100% that this item is in perfect working condition. So the only way it will be damaged is through post or by the recipient damaging it. I will offer to assist in a postal claim. And as stated, I am ONLY offering the option of SD postage (or collection). The only other possible fault would be due to the buyer. Why should I offer to refund this?

MO!, Mar 25, 2007
  14. MO!

I don't agree with this. As a private seller (and I'm happy to accept that it's different if you're a business) you simply need to be reasonable and have honest descriptions, and to pack things carefully if you do need to post them. I have never offered a refund on anything, no-one has ever asked me if I would offer one, no-one has ever asked for a refund on anything that I've sold and sent them. The only thing I've ever refunded (voluntarily at my own suggestion) is overpaid postage when my estimate has been out. I like to think that my sales have been extremely successful, and I have 100% positive feedback on over 350 transactions, about half of which have been sales.

I don't feel that I can be held responsible for the item once it's left my possession, but will help with any subsequent claims etc. So, I think MO is being entirely reasonable.

la toilette, Mar 25, 2007
  15. MO!

Neil

This is an area fraught with difficulties - I've only had 3 transactions on ebay (out of about 400 over the past 5 years, (mostly buying)) which have been difficult. I offer a return if the item is not as pictured and described - as it always is then there should be no problems. For breakable items I suggest insured or special delivery and a claim on that if there is a problem.
    Difficulties I've had - once when selling ( I had a very problematic time when I had to sell house, car and hi-fi) a piece of equipment was damaged in transit and a lengthy claim procedure caused pain and problems all round. I could not have refunded the cost by means other than insurance at that time. Buying: 2 problems - a dpa dac purchased from "hiendal" was completely knackered (all fpga chips gone, evidence of overheating - in fact casework and socketry was all that was OK!!) - I agreed to sending the dac to Tom from dpa for assessment of repairs and following his "report" entered negotiations for refund. Open and shut case you'd think - nah, I was given the runarround untill the 90 days when you can leave feedback had expired (I realise now,,,) then nothing. Still outstanding and I to be honest couldn't face the hassle of legal action etc. 2nd problem - bought TEAC CD player for kitchen and it was non-functioning, seller refused to refund so I tried to use the PAYPAL disputes procedure. What a shambles - emails between buyer and seller / $25 fee for arbitration then I was asked to get an independent verification of the CD players problems - AT MY EXPENSE - to fax to PP so the dispute could be resolved in my favour. At this point I was away on 14 days holiday so returned after the deadline for submission of the documentation so dispute ruled against me. I sent an incandescent email to PP etc but to no avail as "procedure is procedure"etc.

So.... 1% pain from all my transactions isn't too bad I feel. It still doesn't alter my fundimental belief that you should treat everyone with trust and decency until proven otherwise. After all the world is a poorer place if we all think everyone is out to shaft us and take the moral high ground with a side portion of vendictiveness when things don't go our way....

Anyway - sell but insure and it'll be fine!!

Neil, Mar 25, 2007
  16. MO!

nando nando

hi mo, you have a P.M. nando.

nando, Mar 25, 2007
  17. MO!

nando nando

hi mo, you have pm, nando

nando, Mar 25, 2007
Ask a Question