ebay-unconfirmed address

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Baudrillard, Nov 18, 2008.

1. Baudrillard

Baudrillard

Hi

Selling on ebay my dac valued at £550 (buy it now)

The buyer is Malaysian with a 100% record and reassuring feedback.

He's just paid via paypal and I notice it's an unconfirmed address, which I didn't spot previously.

I'm worried about this and wonder if I should be.

Cheers

Baudrillard, Nov 18, 2008
  2. Baudrillard

lbr monkey boy

I'd be a bit worried, yes - could be an identity hijack.

If you withdraw the funds from your PayPal account before you send the goods then at least you know you're covered as PayPal won't be able to pass any chargeback on to you. Downside is that you'll have to sit o the goods for 7-10 days while PayPal transfer the funds to your account. If I were the buyer, I wouldn't be loving that.

lbr, Nov 18, 2008
  3. Baudrillard

Baudrillard

Thanks for your reply.

I'm quite annoyed that there was no mention of his address being 'unconfirmed' when ebay sent me the "Congratulations, your item sold! Send an invoice now" page, which stated his address.

It only said 'unconfimed' when I got the notice of instant payment received from paypal :rolleyes:

Is it possible to return his funds, and then ask ebay to waive the item fee/commission?

4. Baudrillard

Pure_Carbon Diamond Tipped.

My SME V sold recently to an address in japan, I was very suspicious. He paid on paypal, I grabbed the money and sent the goods 10 days later, it was all OK in the end !

Pure_Carbon, Nov 18, 2008
  5. Baudrillard

Baudrillard

Was an unconfirmed address?

Didn't he contact you over the 10 days to find out where the f--k it was?

If I did the same, what would happen if he started causing a fuss (demanding a tracking number etc)?

6. Baudrillard

SMEagol Because we wants it...

Double edged sword, does he have a track record in buying hifi, if so I wouldn't be too worried, have a gander at his feedback details. Apart from being the scamming capital of the world (after Lagos) they do love their hifi in Malaysia. If it goes pear shaped I think you do need a parcel tracking number or its a cop out for paypal having you covered. I wonder if you could insure the package independently. I've found Paypal to be a bit of a lame duck regarding compensation and quick decisions.

found this just now...
    A buyer asks for the goods to be shipped to an unconfirmed address. This address is different from the one registered at PayPal. You must note that PayPal accounts are notoriously easy to steal from, especially from new users. It only asks for an email address and password. PayPal does ask for a confirmed address now, which matches the one on the credit card. This is to prevent credit cards being registered on stolen accounts. But unscrupulous buyers ask for things to be shipped to a different address.

This could be the buyer resorting to credit card fraud. The goods are often delivered to the false address before the scam can be unearthed. Be wary of those who are willing to pay more and want a super fast delivery, because they could be scamming you.

SMEagol, Nov 18, 2008
  7. Baudrillard

Baudrillard

Thanks

Looking at his feedback, its 78 100% registered since May '07, lots of fast payments and buying audio stuff like valves and cables. Seems ok

But what also worries me about him (besides the unconfirmed address) is that immediately after the auction, he asked if I could use parcel2go.com for £200. This was despite me quoting him UPS, before he bought the item, with full tracking for £95 . I'm not sure why he thinks parcel2go is any better than UPS. Also, he requested the item's serial number, which I gave him.

8. Baudrillard

whats his moniker? you can pm me if you like.

SMEagol, Nov 18, 2008
  9. Baudrillard

Still send it insured!

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 19, 2008
    SMEagol, Nov 18, 2008
  10. Baudrillard

Baudrillard

Yeah, I thought he was clean- or I wouldn't have accepted him in the first place. It was just the shenanigans over the shipping and then the address that started getting me worried.

Let's hope the item doesnt get damaged in shipping or he'll give me negative feedback for not using his preferred shipper

:)

11. Baudrillard

Baudrillard

I already quoted him (and taken) £95 shipping, incl full insurance.

Should I have not offered insurance?

12. Baudrillard

...nothing wrong with belt and braces. At least you are covered by your courier. Just look at Paypals conditions. I know you might have probs with the first one...

Item is shipped to an eligible address — The item must be shipped to an eligible address. PayPal is continually working to increase the number of eligible buyer addresses. To determine shipping address eligibility, refer to the shipping address area of your Transaction Details page.

Proof of delivery – A copy of the shipment record will be needed to file a claim. Always retain proof that the item was delivered to the address on the Transaction Details page. Acceptable proof of delivery varies by country. Please refer to the Seller Protection Policy for details.

Signature receipt for valuable items – For items with a value of US$250.00 or more, proof of signature from the recipient will be needed to show that the item was delivered to the buyer. Many carrier companies offer this as a proof of delivery service.

SMEagol, Nov 18, 2008
  13. Baudrillard

Baudrillard

Regarding the first one, if I log onto my paypal a/c, click on details (under the transaction), it has a big green tick and says:

'ok to post the item but we recommend that you:

* Post to the buyer's address listed on this page.
    * Post the item using an approved carrier.
    * Save your tracking information and other proofs of postage'

So, it seems to be all clear to proceed, despite the unconfirmed address.

14. Baudrillard

lbr monkey boy

Not easily - you can refund and get the PayPal fees back, but I think eBay will most likely keep the listing and final sale fees. Also you run the risk of negative feedback.

Really, the worst that could happen is a p155ed off buyer and negative or neutral feedback

That would be my main concern here: 1) buyer pays with a stolen credit card 2) credit card company makes a chargeback on PayPal 3) PayPal recover the funds from Baudrillard. This happened to me before, albeit for a very small sum. If you've withdrawn the funds from your PayPal account, then they can't take it off you...

That's a bit weird, but I can't think of an obvious scam...

lbr, Nov 18, 2008
  15. Baudrillard

LinearMan

There quite a few countries where automatic address verification is not possible, thus an address in PayPal will show as unconfirmed even though it is the registered address.

You're right to be cautious though. My stance on this is only to accept payment by bank transfer and to wait for full clearance on funds. However, given the nonsense that is ebay/PayPal you may be obliged to accept PayPal (in so far as you may receive a 'strike' & get -ve feedback if you don't accept payment by PayPal, but frankly I'd rather that than lose qute a few hundred pounds). Of course, if you have less than 100 positive feedback points PayPal will hold on to your money until the buyer posts +ve feedback and if no problems are reported with the transaction. Thus, if you do have less than the required feedback, you can't wait for the funds to transfer to your account as they'll be on hold!!

Selling outside the UK is more trouble/risk than it's worth, IMO. At least in the UK you have knowledge and access to the various procedures and bodies available should soemthing go wrong. Whilst insurance and the like are all very well, what would you do if things do go wrong? Sue PayPal (if they were in the UK that'd be quite straightforward, but they aren't ~ I think you'll find that their T&Cs state that transactions are deemed to have taken place in Luxembourg)? Also, as PayPal are in Luxembourg they are not subject to the UK FSA.

Suppose the 'insurance' doesn't pay out ~ where is jurisdiction then? You might hope that it's with the contracting UK company, but you could well find that loss outside the UK comes under the relevant contracted delivery company.

LinearMan, Nov 19, 2008
  16. Baudrillard

Baudrillard

Cheers

I've got 100% feedback and have transferred the money over to my account- should be clear within 6 days. Not sure what I'm going to tell the buyer when he asks what's going on?

This will be the last time I send an expensive item abroad using paypal! It's just not worth the risk.

Baudrillard, Nov 19, 2008
  17. Baudrillard

Telstar

Ditto!

That's paypal fault, not the guy. Most of EU countries do not have address verification yet too :(

Telstar, Nov 20, 2008
  18. Baudrillard

cooky1257

I'd tell him the truth-he can't be unaware of the type of scamming that goes on-don't forget if you don't he may wonder if 'you' are up to something what with the delay 'n all.
    Cooky

cooky1257, Nov 20, 2008
  19. Baudrillard

Baudrillard

I just told him I've been away on business and will send it on friday. Most likely, he won't get it till the funds have cleared.

Anyway, I don't think he's a baddy.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 21, 2008
    Baudrillard, Nov 20, 2008
Ask a Question