eh?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Saab, May 28, 2004.

1. Saab

Saab

Alvin Gold,July HIFI Choice....................

so cables have a common purpose? to connect the amp to the speakers perhaps,or is that a slightly simplified view?

if ithe above actually makes sense,and its my education that is too blame,i will go away and collect stamps.

ps What would be an unbelievable acoustic space?

Saab, May 28, 2004
  2. Saab

rewster

;) Saab,

I hate to make you feel silly....but I think you'll find a 'common purpose' is a little like a dolphin.

rewster, May 29, 2004
  3. Saab

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

maybe its like a word search... you have to read it several times, constructing a sentence that makes sence out of the word available....

....it is more airy than some,it has a subtle but very credible coloration that flavours the music.

tadaaaaa!!!

you see, he just needed editing!

bottleneck, May 29, 2004
  4. Saab

Ian J

Haven't read Private Eye for years. Do they still have a Pseuds Corner ?

Ian J, May 29, 2004
  5. Saab

TonyL Club Krautrock Plinque

Eh? indeed. It is however a superb example of 'paid by the word' prose; lets say hypothetically Mr Gold gets a shiny new pound coin for each word, the gobbledegook above has earned 131 quid without actually saying anything at all. Quite an art when you think about it. Had he been more realistic and said something along the lines of “The blue cable they sent me to review is a little bit brighter sounding than the red one I did last month, but its still just a bit of wire.†the poor guy would have earned just 30 quid.

Tony.

TonyL, May 29, 2004
  6. Saab

Saab

right,good point Tony,so basically,the whole myth around cables could have started because most journalists are self employed,and get paid by the word?

what would happen if they were salaried?

or maybe...............they feel they have to hear differencse because they would feel inadequate compared their peers,kind of an Emperors New clothes thing?

Saab, May 29, 2004
  7. Saab

maybe its a....

'dogs bollocks and licking thing'

not sure what that means really, but it sounds right and I liked the sound of it in another thread.!

bottleneck, May 29, 2004
  8. Saab

merlin

Sorry guys, but having listened to a system using said cables, I'd say the descriptive terms employed are pretty spot on

merlin, May 29, 2004
  9. Saab

Saab

Don't get me wrong Merlin,I am a "believer" since i heard night and day between Isolda and QED SA,its just the pretentious bollocks thats written I find a tad nauseating.Clearly Mr Gold is well educated,articulate,and has a hell of a lot to offer with his experience,for people like me in particular,so why doesn't he write in English? There is enough jargon in HIFI that confuses 95% of us,without him inventing a hell of a lot more

so whats it mean then?;)

ps yep,i think it is a dogs and bollock licking thing;)

Saab, May 29, 2004
  10. Saab

merlin

The Chord Sigs give a very direct sound, open and airy yes , transparent yes certainly, upfront yes. It is a sound that is full of information that is kind of thrust at you in comparison with more laid back cables (cardas, VDH), but it is impressive and can really give you a sense of players in the room on suitable recordings with suitable hardware.

It does the soundstaging and air of many other high end cables, but in a more concenrated form to my ears, sounding very palpable and solid but for me too in yer face. Still definately one for the andenalin junkies who beleive cables make a difference.

Now to me the above is seriuosly lacking in actual descriptions and full of generalisations. The reviewer's words were, I feel, far more enlightening .

merlin, May 29, 2004
  11. Saab

Saab

on the contrary,i prefer your review,and it was free:)

Saab, May 29, 2004
  12. Saab

I think so too!

Mike, your review actually made sense.

You could take the snippet from A. Gold, and say its from a star trek magazine describing interstellar space transport - and no-one would be the wiser!!

(no I dont read that kind of thing)

bottleneck, May 30, 2004
  13. Saab

wolfgang

Is this a thread about cable right? Could we be allowed to join in the discussion now?

wolfgang, May 30, 2004
  14. Saab

titian

yes Wolfgang, you may join the discussion now. You already said enough (and we thank you for your precious words) so now you can listen to / read what others want to say. :D :D

titian, May 30, 2004
  15. Saab

Saab

i suppose it can be a discussion about cable if you want it to be,threads go where they go...............however,I intended the discussion to be about what on earth this particular author is babbling on about.It seems this cable is a bit on the forward side,i think:rolleyes: now if you think thats not possible,go ahead and roll the dice:)

Saab, May 30, 2004
  16. Saab

Mart Smog Dodger

I think Tony may have a very valid point here, I never thought of it that way, but it adds up, methinks.

Mart, May 30, 2004
Ask a Question