Electrocompaniet emc1

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by julian2002, Feb 8, 2004.

1. julian2002

julian2002 Muper Soderator

has anyone heard one of these beasties... they look lovely and they had some good stateside reviews banging on about image, soundstage, detail and depth. as a naimie these things mean precisely bugger all to me. the big question is goes it groove?
    cheers

julian

julian2002, Feb 8, 2004
  2. julian2002

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

Julian think DCS and you'll have it, Groove=M/F stylee :newbie:

wadia-miester, Feb 8, 2004
  3. julian2002

technobear Ursine Audiophile

Sounded nice playing through a pair of Castle Conway 3's at Bristol last year. Can't say I noticed any lack of groove. It was that dem that lead me to try the Castles for myself.

technobear, Feb 9, 2004
  4. julian2002

lAmBoY Lothario and Libertine

I think the electrocompaniet sound is fabulous, but then I do own the 4.7pre and 120 power:)

I am considering selling these to fund a suitable upgrade - pm me if your interested. Special deal for zerogainers (i will also put them on ebay if they dont go here).

cheers //lamboy

lAmBoY, Feb 9, 2004
  5. julian2002

timpy Snake Oil free!!!

Castle import them into the UK, or at least they did, and if Castle back them, then they must be fantastic and I so won't hear a word said against them. :JOEL:

Of course I'd be in a better position to judge if I'd heard them for more than the passing 30 seconds that I did....

Cheers

timpy, Feb 9, 2004
  6. julian2002

Snoo

Seconded.

My favourite set-up of the show..

Snoo, Feb 9, 2004
  7. julian2002

Lawrie

Keepin' it real, right here in Lawrieville.
    Hey WM,

Can you give me details of the system in which you heard the EMC-1 (where you suggested that it lacked groove) and were you listening to the EMC-1 (24/96 version) or the EMC-1 UP (24/192 version)? Somehow, I am having great difficulty reconciling your statement with my own experiences.;)

Enjoy the music,

Lawrie.:D

Lawrie, Feb 9, 2004
  8. julian2002

hey Lawrie, not a problem at all, in fact all 3 systems I've heard it in it lacked drive and groove, flow it had, detail too more so than the 301 wad, open stage, but groove nah, but then I wasn't using the blue curtain technique ;)
    2 systems had the later 192khz, the other the earler one, and the later 192khz dac too.
    EC player/halcrow Big 'h' as I call it 3.5 foot tall thing/spectron musican II/CJ premier valve pre/Overkill speakers/Analysis plus cables/O/A cables, EC MkI player/Krell 300i/cymbols/Meridian 500 transport/EC dac/A/R 100w intergrated and LV OBX's.
    There are a bargin too at the moment, $1700 gets you a MKII dac and $2600+ gets you the player.
    Hope that clarifies it for you lawrie, I know you like to cross the 'i's and dot the 't's at lawrie towers :)
    They have excellent construction & sound quality in their forte' areas that preforms beyond the orginal price bracket, as for the orginal question sorry it aint a groover, but then does it profess to be?. Wm

wadia-miester, Feb 9, 2004
  9. julian2002

Lawrie

WM,

It certainly clarifies your comments and crossing the 'i's and dotting the 't's are just a couple of the many things that keep me on my toes, and of course, not forgetting the music.;)

I can only assume that 'groove' means different things to different people as IMO, the EMC-1 does groove and gets those feet tapping. But then again, one man's meat ................:D

Enjoy the music,

Lawrie, Feb 9, 2004
  10. julian2002

timpy Snake Oil free!!!

Almost certainly, for example, whilst I can make do with decent flow as sufficient "groove" so long as it's all up and together; there is a definate "thwack" element to WM's "groove", and if it's missing, they tend to get relegated to a "flow" description.

But then I've been listening to things with him for ages, and I can now tell what it's going to sound like from his description, but not always whether I like it or not, for instance.

Cheers

timpy, Feb 9, 2004
  11. julian2002

Lawrie, foot tapping you'll be demoing Linn stuff next :D
    An example, the Quad 99 on Ju's system at the weekend, far exceeded the groove factor of the naim 5's or the EC, and the detail was pretty close to it too (the EC)

12. julian2002

Lawrie

Hey WM,

Thanks for that info. Now, I noticed that Julian posted his query last night on 8th Feb, which would imply the EMC-1 was not at his house over the weekend and not directly compared to the Quad 99 or even the Naim 5 in Julian's system. Am I right or am I right?;) So how can you say that "the Quad 99 far exceeded the groove factor of the Naim CD5 or EC" (Electrocompaniet EMC-1)? Was the EMC-1 also present at this bash are you just relying on aural memory (based on the last time you heard the EMC-1 in a completely different set-up) which by itself is only good for 15 mins on a good day?

You know me WM, just dotting my 'i's and crossing my 't's here at Lawrie Mansions on this glorious night.;) So can you enlighten me further on your comments because I just don't get it.

Timpy - long time no speak dudester and thanks for that clarification. It goes a long way to explain a lot.;)

Enjoy the music,

Lawrie, Feb 9, 2004
  13. julian2002

Lawrie dudester, let me put it in easier to understand terms, this will save any need for further clarification, as you love to dot the i's etc. On a scale of 1 to 10, the ec1 manages 5 maybe 6 max, the quad on the day was making a easy 7, I've used a ec1 at home with a spectral pre/B/c that made 7.5, even with groovy kit, as your self has stated your a hifi kind a guy, so maybe a really groovy sound, might pass you by un noticed maybe?, now lets take the trivista dac that so smitten you, how would say that compares to the ec for preformance and groove ?, do it turn in that toe tapping ability?, did you preform the test double blind? at least twice?,did the hue of the blue curtains impair your hearing? these are all important factors Lawrie, I'm shocked you did take this under advisement first as you often take great pains to point it out & rightly so ?, before submitting your hearing to the 15 minute memory test, lawrie you'll have to report yourself to your immediate supervisor for re-evaluation on kit selection processes, maybe dat19 should take over your duties for a while?, take a well erned break, recharge those cells, revitalise yourself, it will do you good.
    I must admit it bugs me some thing rotten, the constant trips to the ent dept, is sickening at best, still I soldier on, relentlessly knowing my meger exsistance, will be sustained by ability to retain 15 mins worth of stored data to recall for my distant cobweb infested memory banks, to be able to differenciate between a merest foot tap from a full blown groove, once again lawrie, my thanks for pointing my human failings, this will not go unrewarded, my 'i's have had the priviledge of your dottings sir many thanks :)

14. julian2002

julian2002 Muper Soderator

tone,
    i wouldn't say the 99 - far exceeded the naim's groove, especially as the quad had the benefit of 2 of your top power leads and a mains filter. when we tried it earlier in the day (just me, pete and dev) there was very little difference between the naim and the quad. the quad had maybe a little more soundstage while the naim had a bit more punch.
    overall i think the quad is a top cd player and the 5i is as good but with a very different presentation. the 5 fell between the two as a bit of a jack of all trades and perhaps comming out as master of none.
    the reason i ask about the emc1 is that it looks a million bucks and there are several on audiogon stupidly cheap what with the crumbling dollar. hopefully there'll be one at bristol so i can hear one first hand.
    cheers

julian

julian2002, Feb 9, 2004
  15. julian2002

I would agree when it was on the quads, very polite and detailed,
    seems the p/chords may of had an effect ?(which were on the naims at the end too), it held the propellars head track together far better for me tighter more controlled & cohesive, though on the SRV it had smatterings of niceness about although, I wonder if like some of the more up market kit, it there was more groove on the disc it showed it better, in the same vein it played the more relaxed presenations in the vein the were intended, instead of the the manufacted pace of the 5i
    The voltage conversion is fairly straight forward, and if it don't tickle your fancy, you can bang it out here for a small profit, which is always a bouns. :)

16. julian2002

Lawrie

Hey WM,

You know full well that English is not my first language hence the reason that I like to keep things clear and concise. I made no mention of blind tests etc or that I was a hifi kind of a guy. Distinctions between what is hifi and what is music are your preserve, not mine. I asked you a specific question as to whether the EMC-1 was directly compared in Julian's system and all I got in return was waffle. Are you contemplating a career in politics dude? I think you would fit in well, as politicians never answer a straight question.

You've set-up yourself on this forum as a know-it-all 'audio guru' whose word should be accepted as fact. Sadly for you dude, not all of us fall for all that boloney. You have a well constructed game plan and I have to say that it is working, surprisingly.:rolleyes: Btw, with all these components that you put down because they lack 'thwack', have you ever considered that the problem might be with you and not the components themselves as not many of us on here appear to be chasing that elusive 'thwack' that you seem to be seeking. Just a thought!

Now, without any politicians waffle, answer the question: was the EMC-1 directly compared in Julian's system or not? If Julian auditions the player and finds that it does not groove enough for him, especially being a Naim lover, then good but you are not the be-all and end-all of audio, WM. Your one-upmanship has gone on for too long and some of us are getting bored reading your drivel day in & day out. I hope you will answer my questions for once in a manner that I can decipher as I am now getting tired of trying to makes sense of all your nonsensical comments.

Enjoy the music,

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 10, 2004
    Lawrie, Feb 10, 2004
  17. julian2002

cookiemonster

:gatling:

You've been playing so nice recently as well.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 10, 2004
    cookiemonster, Feb 10, 2004
  18. julian2002

Sorry lawrie, I just misunderstood your smugness as question, I do apologise, I'll promise to make sure I'll blue curtain ever thing from now on for your presonal benefit and appeasement, one-upmanship, I really do think you captain the boat well.
    Mind you, you could well be right dude, i'm so backwards it emabassasingly terrible, please excuse me I'll be off now.
    Cookie, you did say 3 months, so almost :)

wadia-miester, Feb 10, 2004
  19. julian2002

Lawrie

Hey WM!,

No need to apologise for your nature dude - it's your's.;) I was just hoping that I'd be able to read something that made sense from you but I must have over-estimated you. Have you ever considered "Hot Air 'R' Us" as a company name? It will be most fitting.

Now, how about an answer to my question or are you lost for intelligent words?

Enjoy the music,

Lawrie, Feb 10, 2004
  20. julian2002

merlin

Lawrie,

I understand that English is not your first language. given this state of affairs, might I adivse you that the words "dude" and "dudester" are as I understand it, Americanisms, and only really used by complete twats and the occasional inbred Scot this side of the pond.

merlin, Feb 10, 2004
Ask a Question