Electronics

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Joolsburger, Feb 11, 2004.

1. Joolsburger

Joolsburger

Where can a person learn basic electronics? I have tried every resource I can think of to no avail. Can any of you guys offer some advice?

Ta
    Joolsburger

Joolsburger, Feb 11, 2004
  2. Joolsburger

julian2002 Muper Soderator

tandy used to do basic electronics kits where you could make 101 different basic circuits by pegging bits of wire and components together on a board, along with a book to explain what was going on. not sure if there is an equivalent from maplin or rs as tandy seem to have evaporated.
    cheers

julian

julian2002, Feb 11, 2004
  3. Joolsburger

SCIDB Moderator

Hi,

You could try your local college of F.E. to see if they have any courses.

There are plenty of books & stuff on the net to get you going.

Have a look here for a starter.

SCIDB

SCIDB, Feb 11, 2004
  4. Joolsburger

I-S Good Evening.... Infidel

GCSE and A level courses are available (I did both before my degree), both of which pretty much start from the beginning (A level does not require GCSE.... just reasonable level of maths and physics). However, both are quite practically based, and may require facilities that you don't have or wish to acquire (eg oscilloscope, bench psu, function generator, device programmer, etc), so a college or similar is probably your best bet.

As a text for learning electronics from the beginning, I recommend Electronic Systems by M V Brimicombe. The electronics "bible" is The Art of Electronics by Horowitz and Hill, but this is a more advanced book and nothing like as accessible. A great reference though.

I-S, Feb 11, 2004
  5. Joolsburger

Joolsburger

Thanks for that I have already checked with all the local education sources and there are no courses available.

Bah..

Books it is then but it's never as good as having a real person teach you.

Joolsburger, Feb 11, 2004
  6. Joolsburger

themadhippy seen it done it smokin it

if your a complete beginer one of the gcse course books is a good start,ive a copy of "electronics for you" by micheal mc loughlin that i still refer back to.starts with the basics but builds on this to cover simple transistor circuits op amps and even some digatal stuff

themadhippy, Feb 11, 2004
  7. Joolsburger

lowrider Live music is surround

Or you can join the Air Force for electronics maintenance like I did in 1966... :beamup:

lowrider, Feb 12, 2004
  8. Joolsburger

amazingtrade Mad Madchestoh fan

I did GCSE electronics but it was quite basic. It just tought you how to make PCBs, build basic circuits such as 555 timer controled devices, darlington pair transistors etc. I wanted to do it at A level but hardly any where offered it.

amazingtrade, Feb 13, 2004
  9. Joolsburger

Sgt Rock

MIT OpenCourseWare

a free and open educational resource for faculty, students, and self-learners around the world. OCW supports MIT's mission to advance knowledge and education, and serve the world in the 21st century. It is true to MIT's values of excellence, innovation, and leadership.

MIT OCW:

* Is a publication of MIT course materials
    * Does not require any registration
    * Is not a degree-granting or certificate-granting activity
    * Does not provide access to MIT faculty

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 13, 2004
    Sgt Rock, Feb 13, 2004
  10. Joolsburger

Joolsburger

Thanks to all who responded. It seems my self built valve amp dreams are some way off yet!!

Joolsburger, Feb 13, 2004
  11. Joolsburger

RDD Longterm Lurker

I know what you mean amazingtrade, I was all set to do an AS level in Electronics to fill in the gaps at college. Turned up for the first class, only to find the course had been cancelled due to insufficient numbers, and nobody had bothered telling the students or amending the timetable :rolleyes:

I just don't think it's seen as important to most people here anymore, they seem to think it's all best left to the far east :(

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 13, 2004
    RDD, Feb 13, 2004
  12. Joolsburger

LiloLee Blah, Blah, Blah.........

Shouldn't be. You don't have to attended Art school to do a paint by numbers, and most kits are exactly the same. Just practice your soldering skills.

I recommend buying some of the cheap kits from Maplins as a practice and then build up from there.

LiloLee, Feb 13, 2004
Ask a Question