eltax sub

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by mr cat, Sep 9, 2003.

1. mr cat

mr cat Member of the month

Hi Folks,
    I've got an eltax a6 sub, and can possibly purchase the a12 remote for 50 notes...(rec price of 250, but commonly sells for 165 new...) any thoughts on this sub, I know it will be some improvement over my existing one...I just wondered if anyone knew of it..?

cheers

mr cat, Sep 9, 2003
  2. mr cat

Matt F

As the specs of you sub and main speakers aren't on Eltax's site, I had a quick look at the newer models (A6.2, Symphony 6.3's and the A12.2 sub).

Your current sub can't be of much use to you as it only goes down to 45Hz whereas your main speakers go down to 35Hz. In other words, your main speakers produce deeper bass than your sub can manage!

The A12.2 specs look a bit better - it goes down to 30Hz so it should give you something extra below what the main speakers can do.

I'm not sure how good a sub it is quality wise and the normal recommendation for budget subs would be something like a MJ Acoustics Pro 50 (£299), a Velodyne VX10 (£199) or perhaps a 2nd hand REL Q50 or Q100.

However, £50 ain't a lot of cash so if you can pick up the A12 for that then you might as well go for it - it's going to be of more use than your current sub (which is of no use to you) and even if you don't like the A12 you should presumably be able to sell it on for what you will be paying for it.

Matt.

Matt F, Sep 9, 2003
Ask a Question