enhancers

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Lt Cdr Data, Jun 16, 2005.

1. Lt Cdr Data

Lt Cdr Data om

Further to my playing around of late, and into the foray of pro audio, I have acquired an enhancer/exciter

may make the crest sound better in the bass, and give me that huge soundstage I love so much

roughly 4 companies make them

aphex dearish the original, harmonics
    bbe one I am getting, uses different techinques to the other 3.more phase and eq.
    behringer (cheap) combination
    spl dearish qualtiy german stuff

These use about 3 different techniques for enhancing sound.

phase shifts...time delays and differing frequencies to change soundstage width and depth.

eq, what it says on the tin, mostly hi freq that is level dependant and also bass punch.

and harmonics generation, controlled distortion to give upper frequency zing and brilliance.

These are used by studios to give mixes life after dig. recording.

Should be interesting, will report when I get it.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 16, 2005
    Lt Cdr Data, Jun 16, 2005
  2. Lt Cdr Data

Tenson Moderator

I find using a very slight amount of harmonic exciter over the entire thing, not just in the HF helps to stick it together and the mix gels more. Enhancers are often used on acoustic stuff and exciters for rock, pop etc..

I haven't played with my dynamic EQ really, anyone got some tips on how it can be used to good effect? Not so much in Hi-Fi but in the studio. I know some of you are engineers.

Tenson, Jun 16, 2005
Ask a Question