ePay Bargain? - Muscle Shoals Studios

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by ilockyer, Jul 22, 2003.

1. ilockyer

ilockyer rockin' in the free world

I guess you could say it's an upgrade of recording equipment and listening room! Never thought I'd see this on ePay though! $650000 does seem a touch little for what is a going concern, you can't even buy a 4 bedroom house here in Devon for that it seems!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2335666678

ilockyer, Jul 22, 2003
  2. ilockyer

julian2002 Muper Soderator

so 650,000 usd for a recording studio just out of the timewarp from the 1960's. no modern keyboards, no digital facilities for dsd or 24 / 192 recording so to attract the clients he mentions back you'd need to spend another million or so on bringing it up to scratch. mind you that neve 8086 is worth of 100k and the 8088 is about 200k so you may be able to do a bit of asset stripping and make a profit if you can afford it. you could probably sell the transformers out of the hammonds to a valve junkie for megabucks too.

cheers

julian

julian2002, Jul 22, 2003
  3. ilockyer

sideshowbob Trisha

Wow. That's a bargain. Muscle Shoals is one of the most famous recording studios in pop music history (it's where Aretha Franklin recorded, amongst many others). Even if it needs work that brand name is priceless. I'd buy it, if I had the cash...

-- Ian

sideshowbob, Jul 22, 2003
  4. ilockyer

joel Shaman of Signals

Go halves with you Ian. I have already put 500yen (about 3squid) in the piggy bank. We're off to a flying start.
    The brand name alone is worth multiples of the asking price - in the right hands.
    We'll have Muscle Shoals studios from Berlin to Bangkok, our own line of studio "monitor" speakers, Tshirts, baseball caps, mugs, cups and stickers, There will be Muscle Shoals frozen Black Forest Gateau (Aretha's favorite), our own string of of seafood restaurants, a special edition Cadillac SUV!
    Yikes, better put another 500yen in the piggy bank.
    We're gonna be bigga than...

joel, Jul 22, 2003
  5. ilockyer

sideshowbob Trisha

If I sell this I may be able to put as much as a tenner in.

Black Forest gateau. Drool.

-- Ian

6. ilockyer

joel Shaman of Signals

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
    You only just got that! What are you planning to use to play the Turkish Death Plinque I'm sending, eh? Questions will be asked on Radio 4...
    And we all know that you'll be out looking for a new CDP :rolleyes: in 6 months.
    I know you're going to say you wont, but that's what you said last time.
    So what is the replacement going to be - a Teac VRDS25x :D

joel, Jul 22, 2003
  7. ilockyer

sideshowbob Trisha

It's this new (well, s/h) arm I've got. The turntable is sounding so damned good it deserves a feck-off cartridge. Which is what it's going to get. And then a feck-off phono stage. So the M has to go.

I bought about 30 LPs last week. I've realised I could happily do this for the rest of my sentient life and survive with cheaper digital gear.

I'm too much of a peasant for such a nice CDP anyway, and I don't listen to it as much as I ought to, so it's back to the digital cheap seats for me. A Teac may well be an option. Plan is to try a few s/h options at the £500 mark.

So, you wanna buy or you just browsing? :cool:

-- Ian

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 22, 2003
  8. ilockyer

joel Shaman of Signals

Capitalist Running Pig - all property is theft. So just parcel it up and send it over :D The Comrades here will find a use for this instrument of bourgeois repression even if you can't.

joel, Jul 22, 2003
  9. ilockyer

sideshowbob Trisha

Oink!

Actually I'm a paper tiger running dog lackey - the hours are better.

-- Ian

10. ilockyer

joel Shaman of Signals

But redemption is still within your grasp Brother Bob.. You too can retake your rightful place among the Brotherhood of the righteous.
    All you have to do to free yours soul from the weight of unrighteous sin is parcel up that there bundle of Devil's work and send it on Rev. Joel who will exorcise it and thus return you to a state of biblical analog purity for no extra cost!
    But do hurry, this is a limited time offer. Florida residents add 5% sales tax.
    The Rev. Joel is a registered trade mark of blzbub Inc (Turks & Caicos).
    Deos gratia est

joel, Jul 22, 2003
  11. ilockyer

sideshowbob Trisha

How could I possibly refuse?

Well, by saying "No" I guess. :D

Trust me, this player is too good for the likes of us, Reverend. It keeps backing off when I try to get it to play Brotzmann. I found it hiding under the sofa this morning.

-- Ian

12. ilockyer

timpy Snake Oil free!!!

You can hardly blame it can you ;). It sounds like it needs a good home...... owwww....... it does look nice......

CHeers

timpy, Jul 22, 2003
  13. ilockyer

sideshowbob Trisha

Sounds good as well. I ought to make clear, however, that it isn't a pair of speakers, so it's probably no good for you :D

Go on, give it a listen. You know you want to.

-- Ian

14. ilockyer

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

Christ :eek: I'm surprised It doesn't go into Convulsions or analfalactic shock, when you put it within 10 feet of that stuff :D poor thing, thats cruelity to hifi Mr Sideshow, even the 588 has some tune playing ability, man that is so harsh you, cruel beast, shame on you :spank:
    I feel at Z/G we should start a campain to give the 588 a GOOD HOME :D save it from any more distress and mistreatment, so come on you hifi loving forum goers, get your wallets out and save this Poor Ill treated 588 from any more torture NOW :cool: WM

wadia-miester, Jul 22, 2003
  15. ilockyer

domfjbrown live & breathe psy-trance

GOOD - digital sucks...

If the White Stripes can make a mammoth seller that sounds bloody fantastic in a valve studio with NO computers, other bands can too...

I'd buy it too - given the money - nicely nice! I have almost a grand saved - might just about get one of their cables for that!

domfjbrown, Jul 22, 2003
  16. ilockyer

sideshowbob Trisha

Tone, do you want a job as my personal salesman? :D

Good work that man. The cheque's in the post. :cool:

-- Ian

17. ilockyer

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

What changes are you going to make mate?

are you upgrading the orbe or the kuzma?

What cart and phono stage did you have in mind?

What about a cheaper CDP? - thought about joining the CAL dac brigade? - u could get one for about £300 plus a cheap transport..

who is it who says....
    upgrading! resistance is futile??!?!?!? youve been bitten by the bug, no mistake.

ALSO!!!!!
    Isnt this the biggest turnaround in history??!?!

Didnt you say '' Im not going to upgrade any more bits, thats it for me now?!?!?!?''

Hmmm yeh riiiite!!
    lol
    Chris

bottleneck, Jul 22, 2003
  18. ilockyer

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

Ian, though a very garious offer :eek: I must point out that Timpy and myself are 'connected' ;) with the audio industry and take such a 'Gratuity' may be misconsrude by people suspecting we are nothing more than impartial :eek: (we take Visa is that ok?:D)
    Seriously I know of a Keuotsu? Red cart going (very low hours 30 max) mint, would this help in your upward stuggle to upgraditus ? Tone

wadia-miester, Jul 22, 2003
  19. ilockyer

sideshowbob Trisha

Chris, it's not an upgrade. Item A is being sold to upgrade Item B. No additional money involved, so that's allowed. :D The Hadcock will really sing with a much better cartridge I'm sure. I'm thinking Kontrapunkt B, which your favourite dealer has on special offer ATM.

-- Ian

20. ilockyer

joel Shaman of Signals

So you're planning to buy industrial quantities of superglue to keep that Haddock stuck together eh.
    Go on, you know you want a Morch ;) and a Koetsu.
    Then we can call you sideshowfox :D

joel, Jul 22, 2003
Ask a Question