Errrr.....

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by SimonConnell, Dec 18, 2003.

1. SimonConnell

SimonConnell

It looks like I've brought myself the ultimate boat anchor:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2972045809

The really stupid thing is I've no idea why I want it, and even less of a clue about where I'm going to put the thing - my girlfriend is going to kill me. eBay strikes again - irrational desires for items you really don't need :rolleyes:
    Anyone know anything about these?
    Simon

SimonConnell, Dec 18, 2003
  2. SimonConnell

7_V I want a Linn - in a DB9

It looks great Simon, just the thing for making long analogue tapes of LPs. I think I saw something similar lying around in Tim de Paravicini's EAR factory. I couldn't be sure it was the same make though. Merry Christmas.

7_V, Dec 18, 2003
  3. SimonConnell

SimonConnell

Tim famously modified a Studer that's in use with one of the major recording studio's, and it's so good that nothing can touch it, and I gather they've tried rather hard to better it and failed.
    Simon

4. SimonConnell

titian

If it were a Nagra T, I would have bought it!

titian, Dec 18, 2003
  5. SimonConnell

SimonConnell

Ah, but if it were a Nagra T it would have gone for a lot more than £100. I just took it as a good sign that the BBC used them, because everything I've ever owned that was BBC kit has been superb.
    Simon

6. SimonConnell

davidcotton prog rocker, proud of it!

If it causes too much hassle no doubt you could flog it on again and maybe make a bit of a profit.

Someone at work bought an old mega drive game for around £3.00. Played it then chucked it on ebay expecting to make his money back if nothing else. Someone bought it for £45.00 and paid by pay pal. A quick search of ebay for the same game revealed two copys available. One had a buy it now for £4.99 the other bin was £2.99!

davidcotton, Dec 18, 2003
  7. SimonConnell

SimonConnell

The thing is going to cost £50 to ship it's that huge and heavy, and the girlfriend will kill me when it arrives. I'm considering just renting out a space at Pickfords and getting it sent there, that way I can pop in and look at it occasionally but the better half need never know I've brought it :D I'm really trying to work out why I brought it, especially since what I was really looking for was a cassette tape recorder. I think what I only realised after the auction ended was quite how big it was, and how much it weighed - I can't really see me getting it up the stairs into my den, and even if I did it'd just sit there staring manevolently at me. There's not much point taping CD's and it's not going to improve the sound quality, not much point taping LPs for much the same reason, so I'm left recording radio broadcasts on it, not really a sensible use for 50+kg of professional studio tape recorder!
    Simon

8. SimonConnell

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

The secret mate ... if I may be so bold....

Tell her its worth hundreds, but you only paid 20 quid for it.... so you bought it as an investment!

She probably wont mind so much if it was .. a) cheap b) a good investment IMHO

It depends on your ladyfriend though I guess!

Personally Im of the ''Im buying it, and if you dont like it - shove it up your ass!'' school, but each to their own!! ;)

Chris

bottleneck, Dec 18, 2003
  9. SimonConnell

mick parry stroppy old git

Really

Quote.."Personally Im of the ''Im buying it, and if you dont like it - shove it up your ass!'' school, but each to their own!! "

Are you on your 3rd or 4th divorce.

Regards

Mick

mick parry, Dec 18, 2003
  10. SimonConnell

SimonConnell

"if you dont like it - shove it up your ass!''

I think there'd be some difficulty in doing that ;-)

I'm sure she'll be understanding, as long as it doesn't go anywhere 'visible' (or come crashing through the ceiling in the middle of the night for that matter!), it's just a case of buying her something nice in the January sales!

She's not one to fall for the 'investment' ploy, because she knows me well enough that if I were sitting on a potential profit, I'd sell it!

I'm starting to look upon it positively, in the sense that if I'm going to give open reel recorders a try, I may as well get something good! Shove some Ampex Grand Master in it and let 'em rip!

Oh, and the penny's dropped that I can dump it at my parent's house if it comes to it, I'm sure they won't mind :confused:
    Simon

11. SimonConnell

SimonConnell

Or I could do a 'Zerogain Loan' scheme, where I lend it to a different member each week, and get it back when there's something good on Radio 3 (talking of which, I can't believe I missed Mitsuko Uchida earlier in the week, but I'm off to Magdalen College tomorrow, because I've got tickets for the Christmas Broadcast - god bless Auntie!).

Mick, you're first in line because you're not too far from me. How would you like to pay host to this lovely machine for a weeK?

12. SimonConnell

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

Hahaha nice one Mick..

Im of the gloriously single and very happy variety!

as Lemmy said...

''thats the way I like it baby, I aint gonna live forever!''

the ace of sppaaaaaaaaaaaaaades the ace of spaaaaaaaaaddes

(that second bit is less relevant!)

:MILD:

bottleneck, Dec 18, 2003
  13. SimonConnell

mick parry stroppy old git

Simon

Let me have it. Bring her round to my place and I will sell it to you for a £10.00. She thinks you paid a tenner for it. Whens shes not looking, I will hand the tenner back. Easy

Regards

Mick

mick parry, Dec 19, 2003
  14. SimonConnell

domfjbrown live & breathe psy-trance

Re: Really

He he he - I'm with Bottleneck on this one! If I wanted to live with my mother I'd move back in with my parents. If you have to put up with clothes, womens mags, cosmetics and shoes all over the place then she can allow you a moment's indescriminate Ebaying :)

I'd never want to compromise my hifi for A WOMAN! Pah! Well, maybe I would, but not met a woman I'd want to go out with who ISN'T into music, so the hifi thing kind of works out OK with me :)

Now - does anyone out there have a ReVoX A77 quarter track 3.5/7 ips going at under £150? I want one - got 50 tapes and nothing to play them on...

As for Ampex Grand Master - I'd probably never touch Ampex tape after all those late 70s/early 80s masters that are disintegrating due to bad choice of binder material...

domfjbrown, Dec 19, 2003
  15. SimonConnell

technobear Ursine Audiophile

Re: Re: Really

The A77 is a very high class machine. Superb frequency response. Wow and flutter almost beneath measurement. Totally discrete circuitry. I seem to remember that the Dolby encoder/decoder alone runs to 50 transistors!

Having said that, there are many other fine machines out there. The Tandberg X10 (or was it 10X?) for example. Or the Teac X7.

technobear, Dec 19, 2003
Ask a Question