Eupen GNLM 05/2.5 power cable 1m (Schuko)

For Sale: Discussion in 'Classified Adverts' started by michaelab, Jan 4, 2004.

1. michaelab

penance Arrogant Cock

no arguments here :)

penance, Apr 18, 2004
  2. michaelab

michaelab desafinado

Just to answer the question a few posts back: No, European plugs don't have fuses in them. Neither do plugs in any other country that I know of. The UK appears to be unique in this respect.

FWIW I was wondering what value of fuse to use in my DIY amp (the IEC socket has a fuse tray) but Isaacs reply about the fuse in his S300 (6.3A) has more or less answered my question. Since my amp will put out a bit more power I might use a slightly higher current one.

Michael.

michaelab, Apr 18, 2004
  3. michaelab

penance Arrogant Cock

Micheal
    Amp output power is not necesarily related to input current.

penance, Apr 18, 2004
  4. michaelab

I-S Good Evening.... Infidel

michael- I would start with 2.5A or 3.15A in your amp. You must remember that the S300 is incredibly over-the-top in terms of power supply design (that 6.3A fuse feeds two transformers. Not sure of value, but from the size I would reckon on at leat 500VA each), it could be mistaken for a class A in terms of room heating capability, and it is class AB (consequently nothing like as efficient as your Class D power amp will be). For the same reason that your amp doesn't need the same three square feet per channel heatsinking that the S300 has, it doesn't need as much input current. You are best off starting with fuses that are too low in value. Just remember that you need Time delay (T series) fuses because you have a linear power supply. If you use quick blow fuses, the inrush current when you switch on can easily blow the fuse which is otherwise of appropriate value.

With regard to plug fusing, yes, britain is unusual in doing so. We're also unusual in having a mandatory ground pin and shuttered live/neutral connections. I don't think that anyone with young children will complain about those.

I-S, Apr 18, 2004
  5. michaelab

themadhippy seen it done it smokin it

just a point the fuse in a uk plug is there to protect the CABLE not the equipment,if you wish to get rid of it do so,but make sure the cable is capable of carrying 30A or 32A,4mm will do,just,and any connecters uasd are also suitable rated
    as for why we use a plug with a fuse,well we're one of the few countries that wire there sockets on a ring,most other countries use radiual circuits with each circuit protected by its own 15A fuse,i beleive it was introduced due to the increase in the price of copper.

themadhippy, Apr 18, 2004
  6. michaelab

BlueMax

Just what I thought and recall.
    Same in Canada and US.

All these 'foreigners' must be (to borrow an expression from penance), "twats' for breaking IEE rules and regs.
    (to borrow one more his expressions) "... its a ****ing dumb idea."

Or it may be that we are unusual because of the weather?!
    Water, warm beer and electricity don't mix do they?

We will soon know when there is EC Standardisation on mains plugs.
    After the referendum!

BlueMax, Apr 18, 2004
  7. michaelab

BlueMax

Thanks themadhippy
    Now that explains it all :)
    Residual current circuit breakers are so fast and effective that they seem to supersede all other types of fuses. But at a price!

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 18, 2004
    BlueMax, Apr 18, 2004
  8. michaelab

mudan

On a different and less technical note, the CSA cable I have is a medium blue colour and not black like the one sold.:)

mudan, Apr 23, 2004
  9. michaelab

michaelab desafinado

I think they used to be blue but now are black for the GNLM 05/2.5 and white/grey for the GNLM 05/04 (thicker cable).

Michael.

michaelab, Apr 23, 2004
Ask a Question