Eupen power cable - revisited

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Mr_Sukebe, Feb 29, 2004.

1. Mr_Sukebe

Mr_Sukebe

Early last year I bought a Eupen power cable after all the positive things said about it on the Groove forums at the time.

My Meridian DAC was definitely improved by it, but on changing to a Teac CD player with a captive lead I wasn't sure what to do with it. For a little while I tried it on my Nait 5, problem was that it robbed it of life, and finally ended up on the back of my REL sub.

A year on, and the system has been rather overhauled with the electronics now all being Naim units.
    From my experience with the Nait, I simply ignored the Eupen, at least until the recent bake off at Julians.
    Whilst there there was a number of cable changes, and the one to the CD players really did seem to help.

So, today I finally got around to trying the 05/04 to power my CD5i.
    All I can say is "why didn't I try it earlier". My present room and system interaction results in any top end "hash" becoming rather unpleasant and leading to some tracks being quite uncomfortable. I'd tried changing interconnects, moving the speakers around, even hanging duvets behind my seating position, none of which quite cured it.
    The Eupen managed it in one easy swoop. I can only assume that I have rather noisy mains, as CD has now become lovely and open, non-fatiguing and generally wonderful to listen to.

So, thanks for the push chaps!!!

Mr_Sukebe, Feb 29, 2004
  2. Mr_Sukebe

penance Arrogant Cock

for the price, the Eupens are a veritable bargain on a stick.
    Good to hear it works with Naim aswell

penance, Feb 29, 2004
  3. Mr_Sukebe

greg Its a G thing

I was heading for an amp and speakers upgrade due to the hard and fatiguing general presentation from both the CD and SACD sides of my player. Having heard it sound much more natural, detailed and coherent whilst demoing prior to buying, and having i/c and s/cabling that I had also heard sounding much better I was convinced it had to be the amp. I already ran a Trichord power conditioner so expected the general mains condition into the system to be ok.

After lots of encouragement from different sources to examine the mains, I started simply - adding a better socket gang then two Eupens (one for the amp and ther other for the SACD/CDp. I was really surprised by the improvement.

Far more emotion, much less hardness, deeper more stable bass, much more convincing tonal presentation. However - I feel the dynamics have been a little squashed. The sound is more believable, but the thwack factor is less somehow.

My feeling is perhaps this is either a drawback of my unmodded Trichord block, or related to the fact the power socket gang has a ferrite ring filter which is said to rob some dynamicism from connected systems.

However none of this has been presented to me until the Eupen upgrade - which is a favourable report as I suspect this was present before but not apparent.

One question - as the Eupens have a ferrite powder surrounding the cord, could/does this have the same effect as a ferrite ring?

greg, Mar 1, 2004
Ask a Question