Expanding DAC inputs?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Sauerkraut, Nov 14, 2003.

1. Sauerkraut

Sauerkraut Do I or Don't I? I did!!!

Hi all,
    I have recently bought a lovely second hand MF A324 DAC. Now I am totally over the moon with this, but there is one aspect I would like to change. It only has two digital inputs. 1 coaxial and one optical. I have at leat two if not three Digital coaxial sources I'd like to go through it as well as one optical. Does anyone know if it is possible to buy an adapter that would allow me to put multiple sources into the one input?

I know you can get Y-shaped adapters 2 into 1 rca. Would I be able to use one of these, or will this effect the source signals too much or stop it form being 75ohms?
    Cheers
    :)

Sauerkraut, Nov 14, 2003
  2. Sauerkraut

michaelab desafinado

michaelab, Nov 14, 2003
  3. Sauerkraut

That is indeed the daddy!
    Can't find it or anything too similar in the uk though :(! Anyone any ideas where I could get hold of something like this? Or if unobtainable anyone know if I would get away with using one of these?
    2 into 1 splitter type thing
    Cheers:

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 14, 2003
    Sauerkraut, Nov 14, 2003
  4. Sauerkraut

julian2002 Muper Soderator

julian2002, Nov 14, 2003
  5. Sauerkraut

cookiemonster

See, the one thing that you can't say about a dac20, is that it is short of inputs :D

erm, i only use one though :D

Sauerkraut - i have one of those splitters knocking about at home, if i can find it. Its unused. Its yours if you want it, though i am not sure how good it would be? IIRC its a bit flimsy and does not make a particularly secure connection. Then there is the question of signal degredation with an el cheapo solution such as this.

That audio authority box is quite tasty :MILD:

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 14, 2003
    cookiemonster, Nov 14, 2003
  6. Sauerkraut

Thanks Julian Right idea wrong technology. I guess I could use this but really wanted to use the coaxial cable as gives a better sound.

Thanks cookie, I did consider the dac20 over the MF. It was a close call but I think consensus has it that the MF was better sounding. And I got a great deal on the MF.

To be honest I can live with out the extra inputs and swap cables the few times I want to use the coaxial input from my PC. But its would be nice not to have to.

The last thing I want is signal loss or degradation. But I might take you up on the offer if I really can't find a coaxial solution.

I think I'm goignt o order one of the Y-splitters and see what happens. For £4.50 deliverd its not much of a loss if it doesn't work.

Still looking for a Daddy Solution though :spank:.

Sauerkraut, Nov 14, 2003
  7. Sauerkraut

michaelab desafinado

I think using an RCA splitter would be terrible for sound quality - it might not even work at all.

I've found another one:

http://www.inday.com/da4x/da4x.htm

...which you can order online (from the US). It looks pretty similar to the other one but it even has a remote!

[​IMG]

Michael.

michaelab, Nov 14, 2003
  8. Sauerkraut

cookiemonster

:confused:

Are you buying one? the y-spiltter is what i was referring to. If i can find it tonight you can have it gratis. :)

9. Sauerkraut

cookiemonster

That is tasty Mike :MILD: Reasonable price too. A good reason to buy some more digital sources :D :tempted:

10. Sauerkraut

Nice Mike. Looks really nice too!

Cookiemonster, no I haven't bought a Y splitter yet. Soory I thought you meant you had the optical splitter. If you don't want the splitter I will gratefully take it off your hands. I can send you a self addressed envelope if that would help. Means you don't have to pay for postage.
    Thanks

As for the Inday switch. Worth buying a DAC without enough inputs justa as an excuse to buy one. Will investigate this fellow a bit further.
    D'oh :banghead: I just relised that I'm going to America over christmas so I can buy it whilst I'm there. Might have to be my christmas present to myself!

Thanks again guys. Really helpful as always.
    :D :D :D :D :D

Sauerkraut, Nov 14, 2003
Ask a Question