expert to fit clock

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by peez, Apr 24, 2007.

1. peez

peez

Hi there,
    I am on the hunt for a cheap / used clock & psu for my Micromega on ebay , candy etc. However, having read the instructions on the web sites I thought how hard can this be, opened my cdp up to check frequency , removed pcb to examine prior to purchase - premature I know..only to decide there was no way I would be able to fit intended purchase when I do eventually find one cheap enough.
    SO..., bear with me pls....any suggestions for dealers / electronics people who etc who could fit in the Kent / London area who dont charge the earth?

and suggestions for the best type / make for value of clock, anyone done this to their Micromega, did it sound better..

thanks for listening,
    p

peez, Apr 24, 2007
  2. peez

sq225917 Exposer of Foo

yeh my stage 3 is clocked, sounds much tighter and times impecably.

the tentlabs boards are great, you could have a look over on pink fish and see if anyone has a flea board with clock going cheap, but you';ll need to know xo speed and the PS voltage.

sq225917, Apr 25, 2007
  3. peez

peez

thanks for that, had a look at tentlabs, thbey seem v cheap, 29 euros for a clock and similar for a power supply, not sure if this is all that is required so will e mail them direct, any suggestions of an expert to fit much appreciated.

peez, Apr 25, 2007
  4. peez

DocFoster

I got a Clock 2 fitted in my Marantz CD63SE.
    But I can't help directly I'm afraid. I quickly realised it was way beyond my feeble soldering abilities.
    Fortunately I have a friend who's an electronic engineer at BBC R&D who sorted me out for the fee of a pint. Unfortunately he doesn't usually do private jobs...
    Good luck!
    DF

DocFoster, Apr 25, 2007
  5. peez

sq225917 Exposer of Foo

peez all you need is the clock and board, just wire it up to a 5v source in the cd player and remove a couple of bits next to the xo in the player.

guido has good instruction sheets.

sq225917, Apr 26, 2007
  6. peez

liamjf

HI Trichord research did mine - Clock 2. I think it was about £150 for clock and fitting. Definite improvement in quality for not much money!

Liam.

liamjf, Apr 26, 2007
  7. peez

Hamilton

And I can recommend Colin Yallop at Chevin Audio (www.chevinaudio.co.uk) who recently did wonders for my Pioneer PD-S703 with a Tentlabs clock and some tweaking of the digital output for £150 parts and labour.

Hamilton, Apr 26, 2007
  8. peez

Jimbo

Yes nice chap colin.

Jimbo, Apr 26, 2007
  9. peez

peez

their prices look honest and reasonable, think ill bung some more of the other halfs dresses on ebay and pack the cdp off

peez, Apr 26, 2007
  10. peez

Parkandbike

Chevin Audio

Colin is a great guy. He fitted the Vacuum State level 5+ upgrade to my Sony SCD 777 for me and was very helpful in finding a home for my earlier players. I was going to recommend him earlier, but the original question was about Kent/London and Colin is based in Derby. I think you'll find he is fairly busy, but well worth talking to him.

Parkandbike, Apr 26, 2007
  11. peez

peez

well, i do have relatives on my other halfs side in Nantwich, Cheshire and friends in Buxton, so i am sure I could find an excuse, that way its a legitimate trip with a detour....

peez, Apr 26, 2007
  12. peez

sq225917 Exposer of Foo

he's always busy, he did my clock and digital section on my 840'c ver nice job of work..

i didnt mind doing the old player myself, but not a brand new one...

sq225917, Apr 26, 2007
  13. peez

zanash

don't forget

http://www.net-audio.co.uk/rockclockupgrade.html

I've had good results from this chaps kit...

It should only be about four solder joints and the removal of a couple of components ....then shoehorning the parts into the cd case.

zanash, Apr 27, 2007
  14. peez

peez

Thanks for that Zanash, appreciated, well it certainly looks good and like its up to the job, and much easier to install than the others, i have loads of room in there so no worries on that score, i will drop him an mail to see what he charges for fitting and then weigh it up, he's in cambridgeshire i think (googled the dialling code) so it all looking good, Thanks to everyone for their help.

peez, Apr 27, 2007
Ask a Question