Exposure 23 Pre with Astin Trew Power - good mix?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by daws0n, Dec 9, 2008.

1. daws0n

daws0n

Hey guys,
    I have just bought an Exposure Classic 23 for £400 from a local dealer which I am going to pick up later this week.

I am looking for a power amp to go with it, and have been offered a Astin Trew AT-5000 for £300. I have not heard of this make before, but the specs looking promising (dual mono 300va transformers, and it's a tube-SS hybrid).

They'll be driving some DIY'd speakers (based on Merlin TSMs) which apparently prefer tube over SS.. They have a very warm sound and are very mid range focused. Reckon they'd partner up well?

If anyone has heard either i'd appreciate your views

Cheers,
    Dawson

daws0n, Dec 9, 2008
  2. daws0n

cliffyboy

The amp, you have been offered does seem very similar to the Exposure IV Dual Regulated.

I can see no reason why it should not work confortably with the 23 pre, although IMHO, I would rather stick with exposure. a IV NON-REG, which are very cheap, roughly £300 compared to a REG at £800 - £1000, is an excellent choice. Again both these amps are in teh dual mono mode.

Will the owner of the Astin let you demo the amp at all?? It would be ideal in your situation.

Good luck

cliffyboy, Dec 16, 2008
  3. daws0n

Rob Brook

I think you should go with the Astin Trew amp. I have compared it to some far more expensive power amps and it is a little 'cracker'. Offers a great integrated sound from the lowest lows to the highest highs, and second hand, will be very good value. You should read the review articles on the Astin Trew web site.

Rob Brook, Dec 28, 2008
Ask a Question