Exposure 7 & 8 cutting out

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by 9designs, Sep 18, 2006.

1. 9designs

9designs Linn Nut

Mate of mine has these exposure amps, and when used at 1/2 volume it shuts down for 10 mins after about 15mins use, lower volume and it work fine. Will play higher, but again will shut down quicker. After it's cooled it kicks back in and does the same after further playing.... (into Audience 42's )

Anyone had same experience....... anything I can check for,,,, Also will be looking to perhaps mod it, internal wiring is a bit low grade !!

9designs, Sep 18, 2006
  2. 9designs

Arrowhead

What speaker cable are you using?
    Exposure & Naim amps are not fond of highly capacitance speaker cables. Use low cap. cables, parallel,spaced conductors, ( Exposure, Naim NAC5, Linn LK20 etc. ).

Arrowhead, Sep 18, 2006
  3. 9designs

9designs Linn Nut

Using K20........

9designs, Sep 18, 2006
  4. 9designs

Dom_ --->

Is it getting excessively hot?

Dom_, Sep 18, 2006
  5. 9designs

zanash

you may have a short on the speaker terminals....had something similar with a quad 707 ....but it played on and just got hot. Found it was one strand of copper bridging the two terminals....

is the amp in free air or stacked ?

zanash, Sep 18, 2006
  6. 9designs

Levi_501 Its in The Jeans...

Have you had the kit long ? or recently replaced anything in your system ?

I had on demo (about 2 years ago) a 14 and 9, it really did not want to work with my Rega powers and Clearaudio TT. I kept getting huge intereferance.

I never did manage to track the problem down, ended having to hand it back to the shop, and yes it was snapped up straight away !

Levi_501, Sep 18, 2006
  7. 9designs

Levi_501 Its in The Jeans...

Have you had the kit long ? or recently replaced anything in your system ?

I had on demo (about 2 years ago) a 14 and 9, it really did not want to work with my Rega powers and Clearaudio TT. I kept getting huge intereferance.

I never did manage to track the problem down, ended having to hand it back to the shop, and yes it was snapped up straight away !

Levi_501, Sep 18, 2006
  8. 9designs

9designs Linn Nut

The amps belong to a mate at work, and I will have them tomorrow to test and look at for a few days... so I'll check out the suggestions..... Same thing happens with a pair of JPW speakers connected.... It's sitting in free space, and does get hot.

9designs, Sep 18, 2006
  9. 9designs

9designs Linn Nut

Well lashed the kit up tonight for a test. Used my old Karik into the VII and VIII to the Audience 42's ...... Though I use these drive units, was my first hearing of some in a 42.

I'm now suspecting "Muppet abuse" on the part of the owner.... dam it was F**** loud !!! Didn't get to half way in my small spare room.... but a little over a third I felt it was starting to distort and clip on heavy bass lines... So if he's had it wound up to 1/2 way then I guess it's been over driven....
    The 42's are 4 ohm.
    Have Exposure done the old trick of setting the volume pot to achieve max output well before full rotation of the dial...It's actual only a 50 watt amp .... I'll have the lid off tomorrow.

The Audience 42's seem pretty good, quite Bassy !!!... and that nice smooth D260 tweeter :)

9designs, Sep 19, 2006
Ask a Question