External Soundcard

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by alastair, Oct 1, 2004.

1. alastair

alastair

I have recently compared my Sennheiser PX-100's in both my SR-4300/CD5400 and then my Apple IBook and the IBook sounds very poor considering what the PX-100's can handle. Can anyone suggest a good soundcard with RCA's and a headphone out, maximum price is about £150 willing to look into used.

Alastair

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 1, 2004
    alastair, Oct 1, 2004
  2. alastair

Russ the Rhino

M-Audio Fire Audiophile, without a doubt at that price point! I had a long conversation with a senior tech at M-Audio, who opined that the DACs in the Audiophile were not far short of the quality of those in the SuperDac. It also passes through DD/DTS to your receiver. None of the inherent bandwidth limitations of USB on your iBook.

I had one for my PB and absolutely loved it. Reports on HeadFi also suggest that the headphone amp is quite high quality as well.

Russ the Rhino, Oct 1, 2004
  3. alastair

alastair

Hi Russ,

Any idea where to get it from?

Alastair

alastair, Oct 1, 2004
  4. alastair

Russ the Rhino

Good Evening

That put me on the spot, didn't it? I acquired one from turnkey last week for ~£130 but that was "B-Stock". Give them a call or there's always the 'Bay. dolphin music are doing for £160. Is that near enough your budget?

RtR

Russ the Rhino, Oct 1, 2004
Ask a Question