Fact or a lot of **sh

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by James_1D, Feb 18, 2011.

1. James_1D

James_1D

Both my amp and cd player has the display button allowing you to put it off during operation.....does the displays being on or off make a blind bit of difference to the sound...or is this just another bunch of horse you know what !!!

James_1D, Feb 18, 2011
  2. James_1D

nando nando

wax on wax off, it does to me make any sound difference where lights display are on or off, it is a myth in my world, just like leaving your hi-fi on all the time.

nando, Feb 18, 2011
  3. James_1D

Dev Moderator

My CD player allows the display to be turned off. I haven't been able to notice any difference in sound at all between the 3 setting (on/dim/off).

Dev, Feb 18, 2011
  4. James_1D

Tenson Moderator

I think it's a nice touch if you like listening in the dark. The lights can distract sometimes.

Tenson, Feb 18, 2011
  5. James_1D

Dev Moderator

Yes, that is a good reason for having this facility.

Dev, Feb 18, 2011
  6. James_1D

zygote23

CHrist on a bike! SHut your eyes ffs. If the wee buzzy lights on your display are getting on your nerves there just shut your eyes.

You could of course wait till I have finished development of my patented acoustically dampened eye muffs for extended listening pleasure without any visual stimulation!

;)

zygote23, Feb 18, 2011
  7. James_1D

nando nando

think that if you leave the lied's on in your hi-fi and switch the lights of, save electricity bill:)

nando, Feb 18, 2011
  8. James_1D

nando nando

think another way, if you use valve amps do you dimm the valves or do they distruct you from the sound?

nando, Feb 18, 2011
  9. James_1D

zygote23

Mind you I did have an old Marantz CD93 that emitted a high pitched whine from the display. You couldn't hear it when the music was on though.

zygote23, Feb 18, 2011
  10. James_1D

nando nando

oh well,.....

nando, Feb 18, 2011
  11. James_1D

Tenson Moderator

I sometimes found I can still see the light through my closed eyes in a fully dark room. The DEQ2496 is the brightest item in my hi-fi and it doesn't have this facility lol.

Tenson, Feb 18, 2011
  12. James_1D

nando nando

anyway the northen lights are tonight, hope they don't affect my hi-fi, don't care about thei-fi's

nando, Feb 18, 2011
  13. James_1D

amazingtrade Mad Madchestoh fan

I think the idea is that is something less for the power supply to provide power to, so there is slightly more capacity for the amplifier circuit itself. In the real world I have not noticed a difference either.

amazingtrade, Feb 18, 2011
  14. James_1D

nando nando

i agree, of all the units that i have tried i found no difference in sound reproduction, i "my self" think that if i have no pilot lights in my units it destructs me as though i don't know the units in front of me are to be admired for the wonderful sound they provide to me, close my eyes and the sound gives me so much enjoyment that i want to look at those units and those lovely led's it makes me feel they are performing for me and not dead in vision.

nando, Feb 18, 2011
  15. James_1D

James_1D

Cheers for the replies all....I need to calm it and just enjoy the music..

James_1D, Feb 18, 2011
  16. James_1D

Dave Simpson Plywood King

James,

I've heard an *extremely* small difference with my Naim CDS2. I doubt I could reliably identify an on or off state in an blind dem but I have spotted the display turned on while spinning favorite disks on several occasions after looking up and wondering what's wrong with the system as the highs were a bit dull.

FWIW, this is the lowest level change in sound I've ever experienced and probably the least important.

regards,

dave

Dave Simpson, Feb 19, 2011
  17. James_1D

monya

It depends on the equipment and how transparent the system is. Displays can add a little noise depending on design. Try it and see. If you can't hear any change, why care?

monya, Feb 19, 2011
  18. James_1D

Fnuckle Trade

I think this is one of those 'audio folklore' things. Manufacturers put a display off button on the player as a handy feature for listening in low light. Low light means listening late at night at lower levels and when the background noise of normal life is reduced. The latter means better performance, simply because it's easier to listen to Beethoven when the wife isn't watching CSI: Miami and there isn't a six year old torturing his younger sister in the background. The association between better performance and turning the display off became set, because the phrase 'correlation does not imply causation' has no meaning in the audiophile lexicon.

The leading proponent of turning off the display to make the sound better is one Jimmy Hughes...

Fnuckle, Feb 19, 2011
  19. James_1D

sq225917 Exposer of Foo

Old fashioned vacuum fluorescent displays, think Blue Marantz display, were quite noisy electrically and could 'potentially' place noise into the rest of the player. But back lit LCD displays, nah, no way no how.

sq225917, Feb 19, 2011
  20. James_1D

James_1D

I do think it sounds better with display off....a mate of mine with same manufacturer of electronics and speakers (but higher up range) has the expensive power leads and mains cleaner....I have to say it sounds fantastic....and he also thinks display off = slight improvement...but then it's easy to go ott with all this lark....I'm not upgrading the speakers or amp....the only possible change would be source...but not at the moment as I still feel that the CD player does a better job than my WAV files streamed.

James_1D, Feb 19, 2011
Ask a Question