Fake stylus, avoide or not?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by harrygrey382, Mar 17, 2007.

1. harrygrey382

harrygrey382

http://www.stylusplus.co.uk/index.asp?function=DISPLAYPRODUCT&productid=4220

I've just been checking that last one out. Going by the prices the ortofon ones can't be real ortofon (40 stlys for £12 rather tan £140?). So has anyone got any experience of these? Will they be vastly inferior to originals?

I'd like an upgarde to my OM10 but don't want to shell out £50 for a 20 stylus, any other options?

harrygrey382, Mar 17, 2007
  2. harrygrey382

Uncle Ants In Recordeo Speramus

Whatever it is, it isn't a stylus 40 - for starters an OM40 isn't an eliptical, its a Fritz Geiger - to cap it they give the same price and spec for all the OM cartridges when in the real world the difference between them actually is the stylus, the body is the same.

Its either a real Ortofon but bottom of the line like a 3e or its a third party copy would be my guess.

Strictly speaking if you had say an OM40, then a 3e stylus would fit it, so in a sense you could argue that its a "replacement", but it would be extremely misleading.

Other options ... Other than trying another cartridge, not really and to be fair another cartridge in the sub £50 bracket is more likely a sidegrade anyway.

Uncle Ants, Mar 17, 2007
  3. harrygrey382

harrygrey382

I was fearing this would be the response. Guess I'll keep saving till I can justify it...

harrygrey382, Mar 17, 2007
Ask a Question