Favourate tweeks of all time.

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by ADPully, Jul 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ADPully

melorib Lowrider

Now I am confused, they dont sound the same, but those that hear differences are idiot... :confused:

No name calling, what is this then... :rolleyes:

melorib, Sep 2, 2007
  2. ADPully

DavidF

No worries, I'm very pleased to be able to talk around such a fascinating subject.

As I understand it, its two (maybe three) fold thing...

1) the energy produced by the audio systems own moving parts.....this primarily (I stand to be corrected) is going to be the cdp players own motor.

2) energy absorbed by the audio equiment + supports (whether we like or not) from the system itself.

3) I suspect turntable are onther subject entirely.....mines on the back burner just for now (metaphorically speaking....:))

DavidF, Sep 2, 2007
  3. ADPully

DavidF

Thanks, i'll look into this.

DavidF, Sep 2, 2007
  4. ADPully

DavidF

I'm not sure rudeness should really be necessary in order to make a point? :)

Just a thought.

+ I think it could be off putting to potential new contributors or anyone looking in.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 2, 2007
    DavidF, Sep 2, 2007
  5. ADPully

Stereo Mic

David,

You are of course right.

Rudeness shouldn't really be needed to make a point.

Stereo Mic, Sep 2, 2007
  6. ADPully

Stereo Mic

See Joel's post. There are a number of MLS programs available - many of which offer free trials for 30 days. Google "MLS software".You will need a mic and some way of powering it.

To be honest you shouldn't need active EQ in most situations - it's better IME to correct your major problems passively than to rely on DSP as a band aid. You will need to be able to interpret the results that you get, but there are plenty of forums where friendly people will teach you what to look for and what you can do to make improvments. It's also well worthwhile spending a little time with Cara. This software package rewards your efforts with genuine improvements to your system that are measureable and audible on everything you listen to. I think it's about £50 now and worth every penny IME.

Stereo Mic, Sep 2, 2007
  7. ADPully

DavidF

Mike (may I call you mike?)

my comment was a general one........I think there is quite a lot of it about!

DavidF, Sep 2, 2007
  8. ADPully

zanash

But you seem happy enough too ....on a far to regular basis for my liking.

As Merilob pointed out your answers are at variance to the points you made earlier .....which either suggests back pedaling or your a * fill in your own descriptive term *.

lets set the facts down .....any surface or support will affect the sound by a smaller or greater amount and either for better or worse. This is can easily be tested and proved just sit your source on the floor then on your equipment support.....if you can't hear any difference it doesn't mean there is none it just means you can't hear it [for whatever reason]. Now here's the interesting bit, if you can't hear it, it still doesn't mean you can't hear it ! it means you've not tuned into the changes. I think davidf will say that when I first went to his place, he would not have been able distinguish between the changes he's now making . This is [imo] solely down to the fact that he has sat down and listened to his system in and on a great number of different materials, far more infact than I have. The culmination of a lot of this effort has been his ball bearing feet....sublime under some cdp, but limited under others. This doesn't mean they have no effect it just means you can't hear it. For me stillpoints made absolutely no difference ....but I don't say they don't work at all ...they just don't work under my cdp. I've heard them make a difference under other peoples cdp's ....which probably suggests that anyone who thinks that these things make no difference needs to get out and listen to a few more systems before they wade in here with various half baked notions, imo.

zanash, Sep 2, 2007
  9. ADPully

Echoance

My first post...

...well, my 2nd post, but I don't include my first because it was an introduction and hello. :)

I joined this forum to find out how I can improve the sound of my current system without spending too much money. After reading this thread, I'm so glad I did. I was looking at spending money on building an acoustically-enhanced room for my gear; expensive racks; acoustic carpets, wallpaper and napkins; things to go under, on top of or inside my components; redoing all the sockets with power conditioners; etc; etc; etc.

Now I've realised that I don't need to do any of this...I can just insult everyone on here and my music will sound great. Won't it?

All I ask is that people post the kind of things that have worked for them..with their system and their ears. If someone says they got a big "change" from dipping their amp in a commercially-available yeast extract, who am I to disagree? I don't need it backed up by scientific research or numbers, because music to me isn't numbers. I emphasized the word "change" because it's like anything; what may be an improvement to one person will be something else to another...in the same way that music itself is.

In short, if you have a problem with someone's mod, try it yourself. If you do, and whether it works or not, post your results so others may learn. If you don't try it, either don't comment or offer suggestions/CONSTRUCTIVE criticisms/alternatives.
    My system is sitting on a paving slab. Does it improve what I hear? Probably not...I just like having a paving slab in my room. :cool:

neill

Echoance, Sep 2, 2007
  10. ADPully

Stereo Mic

WTF :confused:

I removed the rest of that as it was painful reading but it certainly comes under my "deserves everything he gets" category.

Read your post FFS. You've got absolutely no evidence what so ever that these tweaks work, no facts scientific or otherwise to back your assertions up,yet have the nerve to tell me that it's a fact that if I can't hear a difference I'm not "tuned into the changes"

:beamup:

What utter drivel. And I make no excuse for being F***ing rude. Your post is an insult to intelligent educated people the world over.

Give me evidence. Give me data. Or give me peace.

Stereo Mic, Sep 2, 2007
  11. ADPully

DavidF

DavidF, Sep 2, 2007
  12. ADPully

DavidF

Glad you two guys get on! :D

DavidF, Sep 2, 2007
  13. ADPully

melorib Lowrider

Imagine what his insults are like, if this arent insults... :rolleyes:

melorib, Sep 2, 2007
  14. ADPully

Stereo Mic

David,

I think any sane and rational man would conclude the same. But then remember I don't run Farked Acoustics and charge £200 a pop for wanky wire.

Stereo Mic, Sep 2, 2007
  15. ADPully

DavidF

You're not beyond it yourself Antonio....! :eek: :)

DavidF, Sep 2, 2007
  16. ADPully

RobHolt Moderator

No need for rudeness?

I rest my case.....

BTW I agree with every word of it!

RobHolt, Sep 2, 2007
  17. ADPully

DavidF

Mike,

wire does not masterbate..... ;)

D.

DavidF, Sep 2, 2007
  18. ADPully

DavidF

Oh Gawd...........:rolleyes:

DavidF, Sep 2, 2007
  19. ADPully

zanash

All I ask is that people post the kind of things that have worked for them..with their system and their ears. If someone says they got a big "change" from dipping their amp in a commercially-available yeast extract, who am I to disagree? I don't need it backed up by scientific research or numbers, because music to me isn't numbers. I emphasized the word "change" because it's like anything; what may be an improvement to one person will be something else to another...in the same way that music itself is.

neill[/QUOTE]

well said !

there's always a wally out there that if you say you've done "A" they will claim either your wrong or stupid or both.... I'd actually rather try some of the suggestions.......normally if someone has taken the time and effort to post it means its had an effect for them ..... As I said if it doesn't make a difference in your system, it doesn't mean it has no effect, it just means you can hear it...not that it doesn't work.

zanash, Sep 2, 2007
  20. ADPully

melorib Lowrider

Doing my best... ;)

melorib, Sep 2, 2007
Ask a Question