Favourate tweeks of all time.

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by ADPully, Jul 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ADPully

Lynn SkeptiK

Tap a few keys watch the clowns light up....

Don't knock it until you've tried it.

LS

Lynn SkeptiK, Jul 23, 2007
  2. ADPully

DavidF

A composite of different material works wel for me...

I think the idae is ( as you probably know) that each material will have its own resonant frequency , so each material will tend to damp the other .....

Therefore just using granite will be ok........but could possibly be further improved with say mdf/ rubber etc.

Is that what you meant?

Any one else?

DavidF, Jul 23, 2007
  3. ADPully

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

either changing the caps in my old speakers, or the volume control in my pre.

bottleneck, Jul 23, 2007
  4. ADPully

zanash

You appear to be making rather a habit of disrupt every thread you post to ....

do you even know what the title of this thread was ...or is that beyond your wit? Let me remind you " favorite tweaks of all time" maybe it should have been "favorite tw*ts of all time" then you could have felt right at home.

if you have nothing positive to offer, what exactly are you doing here ? If its to just to cause trouble then the kindergarten area was set up just for you ..

zanash, Jul 23, 2007
  5. ADPully

zanash

you could try platfoam and an mdf sheet ....this goes against all the normal rules ...but will offer a significantly different damping regime any may provide an interesting alternative sound ?

zanash, Jul 23, 2007
  6. ADPully

pixies a menace to society

getting rid of my Amstrad XZ 50000 tower (and the direct infrared remote controll unit with it's eight P9 batteries)

the matsui replacement was streets ahead and as the bloke in curry's told me compact disc is the ultimate in sound quality and that people that wear sandals and have beards are just jealous.

pixies, Jul 25, 2007
  7. ADPully

Jimbo

Wow David that is stunning i bet it sounds fantastic. There is one thing you could do and that is to put a piece of granite or similar on top of the player, perhaps with a bit of felt to protect the suface of the player. This is supposed to dampen the player and give improved dynamics. This may be the icing on the cake. I must try your setup in the picture when i have a weekend or two to spare. Keep up the good work. Jim.

Jimbo, Jul 25, 2007
  8. ADPully

Lynn SkeptiK

Does that loose nail on the first step have some strategic purpose or did it fall out of your brain?

:D

LS

Lynn SkeptiK, Jul 25, 2007
  9. ADPully

Nigel

Zanash,

Why do you think this would be so? What about RFI?

I have been experimenting with my Heed CanAmp & I think this sounds better with the top of the case removed, maybe it's to do with case vibration, I don't know.

Cheers,

Nigel

Nigel, Jul 25, 2007
  10. ADPully

Knightshade

These are rather good under speakers, bit more work involved but a big jump up from a spike.

Attached Files:

Knightshade, Jul 26, 2007
  11. ADPully

mr cat Member of the month

where from and how much?

mr cat, Jul 26, 2007
  12. ADPully

DavidF

No, no purpose at all

If it fell out of my brain, i don't remember it happening....:)

(FWIW, LS, the picture is deceiptive.....no a step as such, thats a gap ebtween the bottom iso patform and the higher one (the greey paving slab). Yu acn just see the cone on the righthand side which gives the game away.)

DavidF, Jul 26, 2007
  13. ADPully

DavidF

"Wow David that is stunning i bet it sounds fantastic. There is one thing you could do and that is to put a piece of granite or similar on top of the player, perhaps with a bit of felt to protect the suface of the player. This is supposed to dampen the player and give improved dynamics. This may be the icing on the cake. I must try your setup in the picture when i have a weekend or two to spare. Keep up the good work. Jim."

thanks jim,

It does seem to have made a lot of difference...

Yes, i know baout the weight on the cdp idea, just ahven't got around to putting stuff back there yet.

Things are moved around quite frequently..........:eek:!

cheers,:)

DavidF, Jul 26, 2007
  14. ADPully

LinearMan

All this is very interesting. Although being something of a sceptic in the matter of things tweakery, it can't be denied that many do hear differences. Leaving to one side any psychological effects, being an engineer does cause me to wonder the hows and whys.

I'm not an electronics or electrical engineer, but I would genuinely like to learn about why some of these tweaks work.

As regards to islolation systems for CD players, I would expect that this is due to saving the laser from vibration thus error correction is less required. Is that right, do you think?

With other solid state devices (as opposed to tubes ~ the effects of which are easily demonstrated) then it must be the microphonic effects of the vibration. As I said, I've been a bit sceptical on this front, but a bit of research did dig up the following (copyright Jeffrey Cain, PhD.). I found this interesting, and I post it as others may also be interested in 'hard evidence' as it were. Doubtless it'll be nothing new to many!

[​IMG]

I can't think that RFI in a domestic environment is really an issue, unless close to strong sources of RF.

Any informed posters able to offer any more of the 'science' behind the tweaks, as it were?

LinearMan, Jul 26, 2007
  15. ADPully

felix part-time Horta

It does exist! For example, DACs are often susceptible to vibration - I mean the physical chip. The old TDA1541 is one; if you have the top off a player with one in, with the gain turned up tapping the chip can produce audible thunkings through the speakers (it's quite educational tapping your way round inside components with the eraser end of a pencil on a wet Sunday afternoon)

Not that this is very likely in practice, or that acoustic coupling of vibration will be this brutal, but does make a small case for the sprung/suspended boards seen in some players using these parts - my old naim cd2 for instance.

felix, Jul 26, 2007
  16. ADPully

DavidF

I did red a rather nice defintiion soemwhere...i'll try to reproduce it....

"Audio systems produce sound waves which in turn produce resonance.

Where an eletrical componant vibrates in its own magnetic field, electronic noise is the inevitable result, however small."

I soemone had told me two years ago that the changes I have been making would improve sound quality (to the extent I ahve experinced), I too, would have been sceptical.

DavidF, Jul 26, 2007
  17. ADPully

Knightshade

I haven't decided on a price yet, I'll probably do an introductory retail price of about £125 per set and see how it goes. Obviously Oak and Ash would be a fair bit cheaper, but I do think Ebony looks the dogs...

18. ADPully

scott_01

Are those supports like the Finite Elemente ones but in wood instead?

scott_01, Jul 26, 2007
  19. ADPully

Knightshade

Similar, though these can be fitted to the base of speakers, not sure if the Finite Elemente ones can?

20. ADPully

Andy registered grazer

Hence microphony... Couldn'tve put it better myself.

Andy, Jul 27, 2007
Ask a Question