Favourate tweeks of all time.

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by ADPully, Jul 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ADPully

Stereo Mic

Nope. Still dull. Sorry. Maybe you missed your vocation in life. You don't even appear to be able to raise an insult with any semblance of wit.

Stereo Mic, Aug 31, 2007
  2. ADPully

larkrise Sheepdogs prefer red wine

We think you may be struggling here - using same tired "put down" - new book opened on desperation for the last word.

What on earth made you think that was aimed at you though?

larkrise, Aug 31, 2007
  3. ADPully

cooky1257

Best tweak I ever made was getting rid of the first wife:D
    It couldn't however under any circumstances be described as cheap!
    Cheers
    Frank

cooky1257, Aug 31, 2007
  4. ADPully

melorib Lowrider

You are right, then we go and get another wife to be able to do it again... ;)

melorib, Aug 31, 2007
  5. ADPully

kt66

try this - it works and is very scary - want to hear what your system sounds like without much room interference?

Simply cup your hands behind your ears, and listen again.

You thought your system had no treble? think again.

I even thought about making a hat I could wear like it.

Other best tweaks

never taking any notice of anything Stewart Pinkerton said.
    getting the wife and kids to leave the room
    a big spliff

kt66, Aug 31, 2007
  6. ADPully

ADPully

You havent really made a fact at all. He could have easily said it was made from cheese - Id argue thats further from the truth.

SM regarding Torlyte are you sure? I dont think balsa wood is used nor do I think it is a honeycomb (Honeycomb is Aerolam)

I understand it to be a matrix of wooden strips glued together covered by a thin wooden skin. I suspect its oak but cannot verify this.

My ears tell me that Torlyte makes a worthwhile improvement to my music (I am not alone in thinking this)

ADPully, Sep 1, 2007
  7. ADPully

DavidF

This is a RA product isn't it?

Possibly patented or ever.....

So maybe only Mr. Andrews knows for certainty??

Have to say I ancertainly curoius about it.

DavidF, Sep 1, 2007
  8. ADPully

Stereo Mic

The fact I pointed out was that Zanash was posting bollox. I would argue that cheese would actually be closer to the truth than his ill thought post - depending on the type of cheese of course.

I apologise if my descriptive terms are not up to your required standards. I used the term honeycomb to describe a three dimensional matrix of air chambers. It's not oak by the way - nor is it balsa - you will see that I used the term "balsa like".

I agree wholeheartedly that it has a distinctive sound with some components. I'm not a great beleiver in obsessive attention to supports. It makes absolutely no difference what so ever what I place some components on - and there is no one solution that works with all electronics meaning they all add colourations to varying degrees IMHO. It's merely a question of which colouration dovetails with the needs and direction of your system IME.

Stereo Mic, Sep 1, 2007
  9. ADPully

DavidF

I don't think they ONLY add colouration SM....though they can do that too....

......they can also add resolution, soundstaging, detail etc (IMO).

:)

DavidF, Sep 1, 2007
  10. ADPully

Stereo Mic

How do you add resolution to a recording David?

Stereo Mic, Sep 1, 2007
  11. ADPully

tuga

butterfly chair

Try this chair:

[​IMG]

tuga, Sep 1, 2007
  12. ADPully

zanash

hey re read my comments before you start throwing accusations.....

I said "like" not "was"..... may be your too *...........* to understand the difference. *...*fill in your own adjective

maybe you can tell us what it is then .......?

back in the late 80's I was able to handle one of the very first sets of torolyte stand that he produced ....they looked and felt like mdf to me, but then I'm not a wood expert.

zanash, Sep 1, 2007
  13. ADPully

tuga

woah, there's a, sorry there are several batles going on in this thread...

tuga, Sep 1, 2007
  14. ADPully

DavidF

I think we got at cross purposes SM.....

My term resolution....i meant to mean detail.....so perhapts adding "detail" to my note was repeating myself; apologies!

I am not adding anything to the recording (knowingly anyway), just attempting to release whats there already!

Edit; I don't beleive I said I WAS adding any thing to the RECORDING!?

Isn't that putting words into my mouth?

AS the gentleman above suggests there is more than enough squabbling on this forum as it is........

..........how about we agree to differ?! ;)

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 1, 2007
    DavidF, Sep 1, 2007
  15. ADPully

Stereo Mic

It was you that said it was more than colouration and that some added resolution and detail. I simply asked you to explain that. Simple fact or course is you can't add anything other than distortion.

You can prevent detail/tone being masked by something else - but you will lose out elsewhere - your net overall gain may be someone else's net loss depending on system make up . You and accentuate certain frequency bands which will bring certain instruments/voices forward in the mix by employing resonance techniques. As I say, IME there is not a technigue which reliably extracts what is on the recording. I speak as somone who has used Mana, mass loading, Air supports, Torlyte, Glass, RDC, Finite Elemente, Stillpoints, Cerapucs.... And none of them have a predicable and repeatable affect on system results. In comparison, the distortion of the signal due to the transducer is an order of magnitude higher every single time.

Zanash,

I was one of Russ' first customers - a Torlyte tripod stand for LP12/P3 back in the eighties. It never looked like or felt like MDF FFS - if you thought it did you must have been on some form of medication at the time.

Stereo Mic, Sep 1, 2007
  16. ADPully

melorib Lowrider

Someone please bring a straitjacket and remove this abnormality, before everybody leaves the forum...

melorib, Sep 1, 2007
  17. ADPully

DavidF

and that was what I meant.

All I meant was that I have been getting more realism from musical instuments ......more space around them + deeper soundstage.

eg a violen sounds more like a violin, the sound ofd the bow agaist the strings more realistic .....

even sounds more from an audience become more apparant, such as coughs etc.

I have alos experienced an improvement in bass, I noticed it was deeper (not a strong point for my stand mounters)

(My comparison is with non cones etc.....or the last part of their evolution! :))

Is this what you meant?

Yes, i agree with you that traditionally has ben the trade off.

I ahven't noticed anything though!

It sound ok to me.....what I am likely to be loosing (i'm not being facetious) ......rhythum, musicallity?

AsI say, I don't beleive I have lost anything...or not for nay length of time. I do loose stuff occassionally (eg tonight!!) and I have to back track and see where I went wrong.

possibly

Ok.

OR,

So its a waste of time me bothering?!

(that perhpts WAS a bit facetous! :))

D.

DavidF, Sep 1, 2007
  18. ADPully

Stereo Mic

That's not for me to decide. People spend hours fishing and I personally don't see the point, but they clearly enjoy the persuit. I wouldn't dream of trying to stop them.

If your intention is to make the best use of your time and means to improve your audio system, then yes I would suggest there are better avenues to explore.

If I accept that some components are put together poorly and are susceptable to vibration which can produce audible distortion, what is the probability of finding a solution that is capable of broadband damping of a sufficient level to tackle all resonances enountered in different rooms and components/systems?

If you are talking about addressing structure and airborne vibration, is this not primarily the reflection of energy put into the room by the system's loudspeakers and influenced by the room's acoustics? Typical domestic living rooms can be responsible for increasing the level of low frequency energyin room by a factor of 5 or more - that's 5 times the amount of vibration entering the floor and your system. Doesn't it make more sense to tackle this problem at the source and remove the potential for acoustic breakthrough at such levels? Is the need for equipment isolation the same in an acoustically treated enviroment? Just some random thoughts.

Stereo Mic, Sep 1, 2007
  19. ADPully

lordsummit moderate mod

If there are any more personal insults on this thread I'll dump it in the trash can, and we'll then consider banning members responsible. It's really tedious. Argue all you like, but stick to an argument, not resort to personal insults. I don't think I can be clearer than that.

lordsummit, Sep 1, 2007
  20. ADPully

DavidF

The snag to your all your arguements, SM, is that what I am doing is working..........and working very well!

:)

BTW please don't mix me up with those who cause suffering to animals for fun!

Not so.

DavidF, Sep 1, 2007
Ask a Question