Fidelity Research FR-101

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Stuey, May 10, 2005.

1. Stuey

Stuey

Hi there,

First post on the forum; I have little kit worth speaking of but have decided to rectify this to some degree after years of running integrated low-fi systems.

I've picked up a Rega Planar 2 with the R200 arm, which to my ears sounds pretty darn good. It came with the above mentioned Fidelity Research FR-101 cartridge, the whole deck having little use. Therefore, the cart and stylus are quite good.

My questions are these; how was this cartridge rated by reviewers when new? And the second question - given that the stylus is quite old, I was considering a replacement from the Needle Doctor which I assume is a clone. No one else stocks a replacement. Is it worth buying in your opinions?

Thanks in anticipation.

Stuey, Perth, Western Australia

Stuey, May 10, 2005
  2. Stuey

TonyL Club Krautrock Plinque

I can't comment on the Needle Doctor replacement, but I had a FR101 way back when they were current and really liked it. It is a great MM cart, a good deal better IMHO than the far better known Linn K9.

Tony.

TonyL, May 10, 2005
  3. Stuey

Stuey

Thanks Tony,

Yes, I thought it sounded quite good. I haven't had a half decent turntable since a Luxman I owned way back, but after tweaking the cart alignment oh so carefully on this one (and a few other tweaks to the 'table), it sounds quite good, and that's with only through a Kenwood home cinema style amp and DIY speakers with Vifa drivers.

As indicated, the only issue is rarity of the stylus. However, with the sound I'm getting I'd like to keep the cartridge at this stage. It's providing a good mid-range and bass, and quite a bit of detail. I've been very pleasantly surprised...I can only imagine what a GOOD turntable sounds like!

Cheers for the reply...

Stu

Stuey, May 11, 2005
Ask a Question