Final piece of "flat" kit has gone, seems I'm all 3d now

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Mr_Sukebe, Jan 19, 2006.

1. Mr_Sukebe

Mr_Sukebe

It's been a rather busy year for my system.
    This time last year I was running all Naim electronics (CD5i, 82/hicap/200) sat on a Mana stand into Linn Kaber speakers.

Yesterday marked the leaving of my final bit of "flat" kit, with my Kabers moving onto what will hopefully be a good new home.

Since then the CDP has split into a Meridian transport with a NOS DAC, the amps has condensed into a Belcanto Evo 2i and that left me with just the speakers to consider.

The above changes revealed just how unnatural the tonal presentation of my old Naim kit was. Fun definitely, accurate, maybe not. The kabers were the last part of that. In addition, they really weren't very synergistic with my amp.
    So the search was on. I don't like most ported speakers, they all seem to have timing problems. Sealed boxes are far from easy to come by. Lastly, I was looking for my dynamics. The Kabers are pretty fast, but some of their dynamics is not real, seems to be by accentuating certain frequencies, don't ask me how they did that. Wasn't obvious with the Naim kit, but was more recently.
    Not helping was a listen to a pair of Impulse H2 horns last year, which blew me away with their dynamics, that unimpressed me with how tonally dry they were.
    So it seemed that I was looking for a pair of horns that weren't quite as extreme as the H2s.

The good news is that TomToms has just the solution, in the way of a pair of Impulse Lalis. These are the updated version of the H6s, which are the little brothers to the H6, and don't have the same level of compromise (or dynamics I must add).

Here's a link:
    http://www.acoustica.org.uk/impulse/impulse.html

After a week of use, I'm now happy to drop a line on here to say that they really do rock.
    Dynamics really are stunningly realistic, definitely better than any non-horn speaker I've heard. Bass is a less controlled than the Kabers, but in a way that is more natural (bonus). Absolute depth is slightly better than the Kaber, ie. no great shakes when compared to monsters like WMs Osprey or slugs like the B&W 802s I heard recently. What they've certainly added is more depth to the sound. Instead of being quite close to the stage, feels like I'm twice the distance back, and treble is less pronounced and grating.
    All in all, a good winner. Big smiles from London.

For comparisons, I did have a quick listen to the Lali's vs a pair of cheaper s/h LVs. Despite a massive cost difference (the LVs were 3 times the price), I found the Lali's more fun to listen to, phew!

Mr_Sukebe, Jan 19, 2006
  2. Mr_Sukebe

felix part-time Horta

Hey enjoy the Lalis. If you have any more comments when you've lived with them a bit longer I'd like to add 'em to acoustica if you don't mind.

The H6 / Lali dsign just works - it's not 'neutral' but it sure is fun. And lively - they just want to make you want to listen more and longer. Probably a better 'real world' compromise than the H2s in terms of UK living room size frankly! I've sold mine now (having H2s and ESL57s to house) but kind of regret doing so...

Edit: just fixed that 'page 3' link on the H6 review at acoustica.

felix, Jan 19, 2006
Ask a Question