Finally bought a new car

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by amazingtrade, Apr 1, 2009.

1. amazingtrade

DavidF

Its possible.

.....for me Vauxhalls have always had a simplicity which I have liked.

DavidF, Apr 7, 2009
  2. amazingtrade

amazingtrade Mad Madchestoh fan

Sadly my engine is not simple :( Its based on that Suzuki 3 pot unit although mine does have four cylinders. It is chain driven but the coil sits directly on top of the spark plugs, actually it is a lot more simple than the old fashioned system of having coil packs and HT leads.

What I like about my car is it feels newer than it is, it has 80k on the clock but everything is still nice and slick and the clutch actually works (a novelty for me!)

amazingtrade, Apr 7, 2009
  3. amazingtrade

DavidF

It wasn't just the engine I was referng to.

The interior design of Vs are generrally neat and functional..IMO needless to say.

DavidF, Apr 7, 2009
  4. amazingtrade

Yep mine is very basic but also very functional

[​IMG]

Most cars are the same though. The only thing I don't like about mine is the dashboard is about as dull as something Datsun would have made.

5. amazingtrade

DavidF

No

I think you are wrong there.

A Datsun would be stuffed full of gimmicks.

Thats mostly my point.

The Vs i've driven....eveything you need falls nicely to hand....plus the gearbox is usually very nice.

DavidF, Apr 7, 2009
  6. amazingtrade

penance Arrogant Cock

I see some rust on the metal parts of the pedals, a sure sign of a serious condensation issue!!!

penance, Apr 7, 2009
  7. amazingtrade

mr cat Member of the month

has it got a rev counter too...? :)

mr cat, Apr 7, 2009
  8. amazingtrade

Yeah it has a rev counter :). Has everything you would get in a modern car apart from a trillion airbags (only has one) and aircon.

Penance what do you mean condensation issue? The pedals are fine just a little bit of surface oxidation not any issue issues with condensation yet having said that the heater matrix is probably in off position as I have not been using it but I have tested it and it blows hot and there is no damp on the carpets.

9. amazingtrade

penance Arrogant Cock

It's condensation!

Steel oxide is rust, rust is caused by ferrous metals being exposed to moisture.

There must be a moist atmosphere inside your car for the steel parts to oxidise (rust).
    i would check any door seal and window trims for perished rubber, cracks etc..
    Realy needs to be sorted, to much moisture in the internal enviroment can cause all sorts of problems. Years ago a good friend had a Ford Capri with twin over head cams and a moisture problem. It caused fungal growth in the form of mushrooms on the parcel shelf. He got arrested for trafficking magic mushrooms!!!
    The heating should be used at least once a journey to stop limescale from clogging the matrix, if your worried about it just drop a Calgon tablet in the radiator.

penance, Apr 7, 2009
  10. amazingtrade

Thanks there is a couple of ratles from the trim so there might be a gap some where.

It dosn't feel at all damp inside though, my last car did always feel damp and I could never get rid of it but this one feels fine. Got a few things which need doing to this car buts its mostly preventative (most people would leave it till it breaks).

So far I've had an oil change, new plugs, new air filter and safety check done. I am told it will need new pads in the next 2k, I will also have the brakes bled at the same time. The coolant will need changing I was tempted to thsi myself but knowing my luck I will just create air locks every where. I am hoping to get this done sooner rather than later.

Just had two new tyres fitted today as my spare was ilegal and another was cracking. The fast fit place then kindly did a check all over my car (a sales pitch really) and pointed out the big hole in my back box (I knew it had a minor blow) but I suspect its caused by condensation as I am doing a lot of 1-2 mile journeys, I have done 100 miles in it now and my longest journey was 8 miles and that was all stop start (the water does go after a 15-20 minute journey).

I really need to get it onto the motorway.

11. amazingtrade

la toilette Downright stupid

Ha ha, leave him alone FFS! :D

These threads are like watching Abigail's bloody party, I'm not sure whether to laugh or cringe.

la toilette, Apr 7, 2009
  12. amazingtrade

Andy 831

I cringe.......but find AT`s car exploits strangely compulsive reading ;)

Andy 831, Apr 8, 2009
  13. amazingtrade

penance Arrogant Cock

Unbelievable!

penance, Apr 8, 2009
  14. amazingtrade

DavidF

you rotten sod..........:)

DavidF, Apr 8, 2009
  15. amazingtrade

Sir Galahad Harmonia Mundi

Nice pictures

Nice car AT, but something must be wrong with the pictures, the wheel's on the right side ...

This being said I'm glad to find on ZG a good old off-topic post like in the good old days. For a moment (the last few months actually) I thought the place had turned into an e-bay subsidiary.

Have fun with the new car. One thing you can be sure of, they won't mistake you with a canary.

Sir Galahad, Apr 8, 2009
  16. amazingtrade

Yep some naughty parking there, I had only just driven the car at the time so I didn't feel confident in doing a parrerel park so parked it there for half an hour until 'my' space became free.

The car as usual does need some work:-

The throttle is very heavy I have adjusted this but since been warned not to as it can cause all sorts of other problems, so I am going to put this back to how it was and live with a heavy throttle.

The brakes have passed the MOT rolling road but they are not as sharp as I would like so will replace the pads all round and get the system bleeded.

I will also have the coolant changed it also needs a new back box (quoted £40 for inc labour).

Of course I could just leave all this like most people would but as you probably know by now I am picky with the details!

I will also get the oil changed every 6 months as I do mostly city driving and its essential the oilway to chain does not get blocked.

I need to get posting more HIFI stuff, my speakers don't even work atm but I can't afford to replace them due to running a car :(

amazingtrade, Apr 8, 2009
  17. amazingtrade

DavidF

Never heared of a heavy throttle before at. My Dad's old audi coupe had a heavy clutch.....impossibly heavy......a design fault and it use to snap them (cables) every 10000 miles.

I'm not surprised you can't afford hifi!

If it was me change the oil, yes....I'd leave all the rest

Christ, cars are dear enough.

DavidF, Apr 9, 2009
  18. amazingtrade

garyi Wish I had a Large Member

Heavy throttle haha, nice one.

Its good job you have cars to worry about AT otherwise I fear you would have every disease and condition under the sun.

garyi, Apr 10, 2009
  19. amazingtrade

Yep :) My new car already needs a new head gasket, new brakes, new gearbox, :D Actually I should not laugh just case it really does need them:confused:

I do tend to worry about cars as an excuse to escape from worrying about the more serious things in life, like the fact I am not happy in my pathetic job which is making me lazy :mad:

amazingtrade, Apr 10, 2009
  20. amazingtrade

garyi Wish I had a Large Member

You don't need any more of my advice as I have given it before.

One thing is for certain, if you have diagnosed the issue then you are half way there.

garyi, Apr 11, 2009
Ask a Question