Finally...

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by davidcotton, Sep 14, 2003.

1. davidcotton

davidcotton prog rocker, proud of it!

Found out what was wrong with my system and all it took was three trips to the dealer:mad: :rolleyes:

Turns out that the bass driver on one of my mission speakers had gone. Nothing wrong in that you'd think but a shop full of hifi "experts" didn't spot it:eek: :confused:

Thats right Movement Audio Moordown had my mission 780's for a full week. They tested them one afternoon and there was a phonecall waiting for me when I got home from work saying that they'd had them on for three hours at various levels of volume and everything was fine. They therefore concluded that it was my amp that needed looking at. So friday afternoon after work I nipped over to pick them up.

Got them home, plugged them in and straight away it was fairly obvious that something was amiss. We were going into Poole on saturday so figured it would be easier to take the amp into ashley road Movement (who just send it away to a engineer in salisbury) to look at. They kindly lent me an second hand Arcam alpha amp to have whilst it was away (something ELSE that movement moordown failed to do :( ). Got home after the shopping and plugged it in. Lo and behold the problem STILL existed even with a different amp in. It also had the same problem when tried with various leads speaker cables and DVD player! So another quick phone call to Movement Audio Poole ensured. They said to bring the amp and the speakers over. Plugged the speakers into the set up in the display area, and straightaway the sales person (Karl) looked oddly at one of the speakers. Turned the balance over one way and no bass at all was kicking out the speaker.

So I now have a pair of ageing Missions as replacements whilst I await the arrival of the part needed to replace it.

To say I am a tad fecked orf with Movement Audio Moordown is an understatement. Doubt I'll be going back there again tbh.

davidcotton, Sep 14, 2003
  2. davidcotton

zanash

Sounds like a wise move.....

You should just ring mission they are very approachable. Probably just send you the new drivers.....its better to get a pair as the speakers will sound unbalanced with one new drive unit and one old.

zanash, Sep 14, 2003
  3. davidcotton

MO! MOnkey`ead!

I had the LF driver go in one of my 780s. Mine were s/h so with no dealer to.... erm..... deal with, phoned straight to Mission.

Very very impressed with their service. Price for replacing BOTH drivers (and courier collecting and returning them) was a grand total of £0.00 !!!!!

See here...

https://www.audio-forums.com/as-rediect/showthread.php?s=&threadid=503

MO

MO!, Sep 14, 2003
  4. davidcotton

Any idea if mission send em out in pairs, or would it be an idea to phone and suggest this to the dealers?

5. davidcotton

MO! MOnkey`ead!

If you go straight to mission (01480-423700 and ask for customer services), they should be able to help you. As far as i'm aware the 780 started in 2000 (there's an older version as well as the new "se" edition), and with a 5 year warranty they'll still be covered.

I had two attempts with them. The first time I made the mistake of coming straight out and saying they were s/h and didn't think they were guaranteed. This gave me the option of having a replacement driver sent out for approx £40-£50 inc vat and p+p.

Second time (couple of weeks later),I had my story ready, they were a presant from an ex who had since ran away with the milkman to Rio! Didn't need it though. Just explained that the driver had played up, wated for him to ask if i'd done tests like swapping them over and taking the drivers out and such (again, waiting for them to say it incase finding out it voids waranty), and said yes to all and that it was 100% the driver.
    He gave me the two options of taking it back to dealer and them sorting it or dealing straight with them MOself. I said they were a present so not 100% on who the dealer was, so arranged for them to be collected. I was at first told i'd only have to pay for the return courier, which would be about £15 IIRC.

Phoned after couple of days of having them collected to see how things were going and when to expect them back. Was told they'd be sent out the next day. Asked how I went about paying the courier cost, do I pay the courier himself or send a cheque or whatever...... "no, we've waved that. No charge". :D Ok, won't argue with that!

Having got them back I noticed they replaced Both LF drivers! I put a small pen mark on them before sending. ;)

HTH

MO :D

MO!, Sep 14, 2003
  6. davidcotton

Well the dealer said it'd cost me £15 :)

7. davidcotton

osama Perenially Bored

David, could it've been possible that the guys there at Movement Audio damaged your driver when they said they tested it at different volume levels?
    Some people can get careless when doing this. Just a thought.

What have you noticed in the first place that seemed wrong with your system before you brought them over to Movement Audio?

regards

osama, Sep 15, 2003
Ask a Question