Firefox 1.0RC1 is out

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Sgt Rock, Oct 28, 2004.

1. Sgt Rock

Sgt Rock

Sgt Rock, Oct 28, 2004
  2. Sgt Rock

joel Shaman of Signals

Sadly, I'm going back to IE. The latest version of Firefox is totally broken (on my PC at least). Unusable in fact. I hope this is just temporary.

joel, Oct 28, 2004
  3. Sgt Rock

michaelab desafinado

Which latest version? RC1? I'm going to stick with 1.0PR until the full 1.0 release comes out. If they've somehow broken Firefox RC1 then that's a serious blunder for them, I hope it's not so.

Michael.

michaelab, Oct 28, 2004
  4. Sgt Rock

joel Shaman of Signals

Yes, RC1. Be very careful with this!

joel, Oct 28, 2004
  5. Sgt Rock

michaelab desafinado

Joel - can't you just revert to 1.0PR?

Michael.

michaelab, Oct 28, 2004
  6. Sgt Rock

joel Shaman of Signals

That's what I'll have to do, I guess. IE is not soo bad at the mo, though...

joel, Oct 28, 2004
  7. Sgt Rock

PBirkett VTEC Addict

PBirkett, Oct 28, 2004
  8. Sgt Rock

Sgt Rock

But you don't have a pop up with Firefox that you have to pay USD 39 to remove, or even pay to update firefox :)

http://www.opera.com/buy/

http://www.opera.com/buy/upgrade/

LOL :-

[​IMG]

Joel, did you install over the top or remove the previous version, I removed and installed and no problems here.

Sgt Rock, Oct 28, 2004
  9. Sgt Rock

GTM Resistance IS Futile !

Well.. FF is going to have to do a lot better now that I've just installed SP2 on my XP and so now IE has a built in pop-up blocker that looks suspiciously similar to the FF one.

All I need now is for OE to have a built in junk/spam mail filter like Thunderbird does and I'll be moving back to that. The delay in Thunderbird start up irritates me, as does it's annoying habit of poping up a window saying "Folder is being processed please wait" at start up, which never actually disapears. It also seems to be a lot more erratic at actually picking up mail from the server. ie it often doesn't pick up mail that is on the server at start up thus requiring a manual press of the "get mail" button.

GTM

GTM, Oct 28, 2004
  10. Sgt Rock

TonyL Club Krautrock Plinque

Broken in what way; unstable or features not working correctly?

I'm still using v0.92, I've deliberately held off on upgrading to V1.0 until it's the real thing and not a PR or RC. I've found 0.92 remarkably stable, in fact I don't think I've crashed it, though once in a while there is a site that doesn't work correctly but that is very rare in the ones I tend to visit.

Tony.

TonyL, Oct 28, 2004
  11. Sgt Rock

Tom

I've got 1.0 PR and love it. I could never go back to IE, having cut down on the amount of spyware I get by about 90%.

Tom, Oct 28, 2004
  12. Sgt Rock

garyi Wish I had a Large Member

Just downloaded it and it basically is so full of bugs as usual.

I understand the open source style of this programme but it really is not good enough to be used, with so much other choice out there.

TBH I am not even confident its *that* much quicker than anything else, it just seems to show the pictures as they come in where as other browsers seem to wait until the whole page is in.

I tried some of the extensions, some will allow them to be edited others won't, one crashed the system.

None of the themes would download, the one thats on it looks like windows.

The scroll bars still disappear if you use the wheel and it takes just under a week to load up.

Na, i'll stick with the better offerings out there.

garyi, Oct 28, 2004
  13. Sgt Rock

michaelab desafinado

I can't speak for the Mac version but the PC version of 1.0PR has been rock solid - in fact, every version since 0.9 has been pretty rock solid. I don't think I've had a single crash, at least I don't remember any. 1.0PR doesn't have any bugs that manifest themselves in my usage of it.

Michael.

michaelab, Oct 28, 2004
  14. Sgt Rock

auric FOSS

My life with FireFox seems much the same as Michael's. I have not discovered any bugs at all let alone any that need swatting and I use the browser for everything except my weekly visit to the Windows Update system.

Garyi, I wonder have you ever thought about spending a few moments submitting a couple of bug reports to the Mozilla tribe? I am sure they would be only too happy to try and squash a few of your bugs. If you find a security bug then as I'm sure you know you will be in line for a bounty on that squashed bug.

auric, Oct 28, 2004
  15. Sgt Rock

Saab

so to download the new version you have to download everyone one of those files? I take it the official version will be one link?!

FF is excellent,thanks go to Michaelab for his siggy

Saab, Oct 28, 2004
  16. Sgt Rock

michaelab desafinado

Saab, no. The link that Sgt Rock posted is to the FTP server where all the different versions (different languages and operating systems) are. The self installing .exe English Windows RC1 version is:

http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/releases/1.0rc1/Firefox Setup (1.0rc1, en-US).exe

Personally I would stick with 1.0PR until the proper release comes out as RC1 appears to possibly have been a backward step judging by some comments on the Mozilla forums.

Michael.

michaelab, Oct 28, 2004
  17. Sgt Rock

PBirkett VTEC Addict

I suggest you are lucky if Firefox has been completely bug free and stable, because on both of my machines it has not been 100%

Neither is Opera mind, one or two rendering glitches, but its alright, and the advert is very easy to get rid of ;)

PBirkett, Oct 28, 2004
  18. Sgt Rock

Saab

well,its been fantastic on mine,the open all bookmarks in tabs is a massive improvement over IE

ps thanks for the advice

Saab, Oct 28, 2004
  19. Sgt Rock

MO! MOnkey`ead!

I'm still using 0.8!

Only ever had one problem. Which I'm not even sure was down to the browser...

Certain sites that have a built in Windows Media Player clip made the system restart.

Doesn't seem to happen anymore though.

MO!, Oct 28, 2004
  20. Sgt Rock

sideshowbob Trisha

I run the preview release on Linux, OS X and Winders 2000 with no problems at all. It's never crashed on me either.

-- Ian

sideshowbob, Oct 29, 2004
Ask a Question