Firefox - The Browser, Reloaded

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by michaelab, Feb 26, 2004.

1. michaelab

michaelab desafinado

You might have noticed a small change to the footer of each page...just doing my bit to support the best browser there is :)

Michael.

michaelab, Feb 26, 2004
  2. michaelab

PBirkett VTEC Addict

I dont notice any change with IE6 :D

Hmm, too much wine, ignore me :p

PBirkett, Feb 26, 2004
  3. michaelab

MO! MOnkey`ead!

It's not a huge difference to IE. But having used it for a few MOnths now, even the subtle differences establish it firmly as my default browser.

I've recommended it to a few people lately who have been trying it and prefer it too. I think the inclusion of a decent installer makes firefox a much better option than firebird.

MO!, Feb 26, 2004
  4. michaelab

TonyL Club Krautrock Plinque

Firefox looks like quite an improvement on Firebird – I've just installed it a few minutes ago and it seems to display quite a few pages properly that Firebird 0.7 screwed up badly. I actually spent many hours fiddling about with a site I'm developing for a friend (www.atticstudio.co.uk) thinking I'd buggered up some HTML code as Firebird positioned the opening graphic totally differently to what I was expecting from IE and Dreamweaver. Firebird also messed up the www.virgin.net site layout, but again Firefox seems to work ok.

It shouldn't be long until Firebird becomes my main browser at this rate. The thing I really miss from IE is the way you can type the first letter or two of a bookmark into the title bar to go to it (i.e. without using the mouse to navigate the bookmark list) – I haven't worked out if Firefox can do this, though it doesn't seem to.

Tony.

TonyL, Feb 27, 2004
  5. michaelab

michaelab desafinado

I never knew that was possible in IE and I'm surprised I never noticed it because I would have expected it to have kicked in when using the URL auto-completion feature (which I use a lot and is the same in Firefox).

In Firefox I have my 5 or 6 most used bookmarks in the bookmark toolbar below the main toolbar.

I now only use IE for 2 or 3 sites that have features that only work in IE. Examples are the HTML "editor" in eBay when creating item descriptions. In Firefox you just get a regular text box :( . Same problem when replying to groups.msn.com threads - just a regular text box instead of the rich text editor window you get with IE. Don't know what technology both are using (it's not ActiveX) but Firefox doesn't do it.

Michael.

michaelab, Feb 27, 2004
  6. michaelab

TonyL Club Krautrock Plinque

It works only if the bookmark isn't in a sub-folder – I use it a hell of a lot and have given 'shorthand' names to my regularly visited sites eg pfm, ZG, ME (My eBay) etc. My favourite IE feature!

Tony.

TonyL, Feb 27, 2004
  7. michaelab

amazingtrade Mad Madchestoh fan

I've downloaded it, the only problem is some stylesheets don't always work properly. I have noticed the same problem on Safari on Mac OSX.

I am guessing they both share the same core.

The biggest advantage of me is it has all the extra developer tools such as Java error reporting, this helps me a lot when I am wriiting in Java, I.E is crap for web development.

amazingtrade, Feb 27, 2004
  8. michaelab

robert_cyrus

been using it for a short while, and not going to be using it for much longer.

it is so s..........l.........o...........w !

compared with IE6, it's sometimes painful. been running them side-by-side for 24 hours, waiting in firefox, copying the link into IE, bang its loaded, firefox still waiting.

sorry, not for me.

robert_cyrus, Mar 6, 2004
  9. michaelab

rodrat

I have only just started using firefox with mixed results. Searching the web is usually quicker than IE although I get more american sites hits when I don't know the full address. However, on those bookmarked favourite sites, such as zerogain, IE is a hell of a lot quicker.

Rod

rodrat, Mar 6, 2004
  10. michaelab

I find it fast but then I have a 1.66Ghz processor (2000 P4 equalant) and 512MB RAM.

I use it all the time now because I don't get any of them annoying flash adds that I got in IE. I have actually not bothered to install the flash plugin. If any site insists on using flash to function then quite frankly they don't deserve their visiters because they are breaking every accesability rule in the book.

amazingtrade, Mar 6, 2004
  11. michaelab

rodrat

I am not so sure that the cpu speed makes that much difference. I have a p4 3.0 and a p3 533 the former may be quicker but the difference is not noticed in real use. The data still comes in at the same speed and the p3 is quite capable of dealing with video streaming or any other net accessed stuff. Its only with video and photo editing that the difference is massive. Obviously there are others such as games and cad. I would say that for the vast majority of pc tasks there is little gain.

Rod

rodrat, Mar 6, 2004
  12. michaelab

michaelab desafinado

I'm amazed that anyone is finding Firefox slower than IE - IME it's much faster than anything else, even Opera (which has long been regarded as probably the fastest browser there is).

It's not entirely fair to make a speed comparison without clearing the cache from both browsers first. If you normally use IE then it will have all your usual web haunts all cached up and ready to go.

Also don't know how a different browser can affect what sites you can or can't hit :confused:

Michael.

michaelab, Mar 6, 2004
  13. michaelab

My connection is 512kbps. The data still has to be processed and displayed on the screen. For example my laptop has the same 512kbps connection but the internet is much slower because it has an old processor (233mhz).

amazingtrade, Mar 6, 2004
  14. michaelab

auric FOSS

Dudes,
    if you have problems with FF please contact the Fora and either add to the sum of FF knowledge or get your problem solved, a win - win situation if ever I heard one. This thread about making things faster helps but then so does a good dose of spybot and ad-aware.

Auric:)

Ps shouldn't type on 5 pints of Young's winter warmer. If things are still slow then have a look at Slashdot | Spyware on One in Twenty Computers? iut might help.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 6, 2004
    auric, Mar 6, 2004
Ask a Question