Flac, Eac, Sad, Git, Cant, It, Quite, Work, Out

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by robs, Dec 23, 2005.

1. robs

robs

Have just downloaded EAC, & FLAC for a try out, & it seems to be working away merrily ripping it's first CD. Connected to FreedB OK, & have set it up as per suggestions on previous threads...BUT..rather than taking 5 minutes or so (Ripping KOB), it's took about 35....am I doing something wrong..was hoping to do it a bit quicker..

robs, Dec 23, 2005
  2. robs

garyi Wish I had a Large Member

Flac can take a long time Rob.

IN general the quickest import is direct so nothing is converted after that it gets gradually longer as various compressions or algorithms are applied.

garyi, Dec 23, 2005
  3. robs

technobear Ursine Audiophile

It may take a while if the disc is in a poor state, or is a poor pressing or is heavily copy protected.

technobear, Dec 23, 2005
  4. robs

garyi Wish I had a Large Member

Indeed, it does not seem to matter what programme or conversion you use some CDs will blast in some will not, in my experience the cleanest disk will decide to take an age just as surely as a grubby one.

Its like wireless networking, a bit of technology and a bit of Voodoo.

garyi, Dec 23, 2005
  5. robs

Stuart

Hi,

If you've set EAC up as per previous suggestions here, it probably means you are ripping in secure mode so the system will take as much time as it requires to ensure it gets all the information off the disk. As stated above, different discs will take more or less time to rip seamingly at random. You can speed things up by ripping in Burst mode, but this does not ensure an accurate rip and sorta defeats the purpose of using EAC in the first place.

The subsequent conversion to FLAC shouldn't be a worry time wise as you don't have to wait for this to finish before moving to the next disc. EAC will simply queue the tracks up for conversion in the background - just don't shut EAC down 'till it has cleared the compression queue!

Regards,

Stuart.

Stuart, Dec 24, 2005
  6. robs

robs

Yes, played a little more now - burst mode does it in no time, but results in jumps..not so good - it is the ripping that is taking some time in secure mode, but gets there in the end.
    Ta for the help

robs, Dec 24, 2005
  7. robs

TL Geezer

Been there, tried EAC secure mode, too long winded, gave it up.
    I now use dBPowerAmp music converter, very much quicker, uses Accurate Rip, and the resulting flac rips are no different from EAC's, imo.

TL Geezer, Dec 28, 2005
Ask a Question