Flaming USB!!!

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by MO!, Jan 9, 2007.

1. MO!

MO! MOnkey`ead!

I've just tried connecting my mums new digital camera to my computer for the first time.

Nikon Coolpix 7900. This is a replacement for a lost 5200.

I connected the usb cable and turned it on.
    Strange, with the 5200 when turning on whilst connected to the pc, the lcd wouldn't turn on or lens extend. The power light would just come on and windows would say it's noticed it.
    With this, the camera just turned on as normal and windows said nothing.

The cable also seemed to get very hot so I unplugged it.

I just tried it in another USB port on the pc. Again, the camera turned on as normal. I gave the cable "a wiggle" (camera end), to see if maybe the connection on the camera was loose, and windows said it had found it and started to install.

The cable got very hot again so I unplugged it from the camera. I noticed a flame on the end of the cable!!!
    I had to sort of get under the desk to unplug the cable at the computer end (rear port) and the flame had now grown!

I tried another cable and that cable again heated up so I unplugged it straight away.

WTF???

So, both cables heating, and the USB hub still worked fine (I plugged printer into it and workeed fine). So, must be the camera.

It's a Nikon refurb through an ebay seller, not having much luck with ebay lately :rolleyes: .
    It has a 90 Day Limited Nikon warranty.

I was wedged under the desk when the cable was flaming. Thought it might blow up in my face.

I think a refund may be needed. Do I go through the seller, ebay, or Nikon?

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 10, 2007
    MO!, Jan 9, 2007
  2. MO!

greg Its a G thing

Holy shit!

greg, Jan 10, 2007
  3. MO!

Dev Moderator

I'd return it ASAP. As far as I know when you purchase anything the contract is between you and the seller, not the manufacturer. So, you need to contact the seller. I wouldn't count on any help from eBay and Nikon will also refer you to the seller IMO.

Dev, Jan 10, 2007
  4. MO!

mr cat Member of the month

if worse comes to the worse and you can't get a refund (highly unlikely tho!) - invest in a cheap card reader - it's much faster than using a camera anyway to upload pics..

mr cat, Jan 10, 2007
  5. MO!

MO! MOnkey`ead!

Well, I've just been on the phone with Nikon. The initial call was a load of bollox to be honest.

I explained what happened and she started talking about changing the PTP and Mass Storage setting and trying it again!!!

I pointed out I now had no cable to try it with, didn't really wish to risk the thing blowing up and that I didn't think changing a setting would make any difference!!!

I then spoke to the tech' dep't. They've told me to send it in with a cover note. I then notied the warranty card states it's valid for the US, but no mention of the UK!
    She said to also mention on the cover note I request to be contacted with a quote then :rolleyes:

I guess I'm gong to have to go through the seller.
    I emailed them last night to inform them what had happened and that I'd contact Nikon and be in touch. No reply yet.

So, how best to go about getting a refund/repair/replacement?

MO!, Jan 10, 2007
  6. MO!

MO! MOnkey`ead!

I think I'll be doing just that regardless of getting it fixed, or speed (which I wasn't aware of). I don't want to risk it happening again. Especially not to my D80!

MO!, Jan 10, 2007
  7. MO!

MO! MOnkey`ead!

Link to the ebay listing...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....QQsspagenameZhQ3ahQ3aadvsearchQ3aUk_W0QQfviZ1

It doesn't mention the warranty is US (nor does it mention it's UK mind), but the item location was shown to be UK.

MO!, Jan 10, 2007
  8. MO!

Dev Moderator

That doesn't seem right to me. It's like me selling something dodgy/stolen/without history etc and saying contact the manufacturer for warranty issues. I'm not passing judgement on the seller, just that the seller is the one who has the responsibility to deal with warranty claims. The seller may refer to the manufacturer if need arises.

Dev, Jan 10, 2007
  9. MO!

MO! MOnkey`ead!

If anyone can confirm my legal rights here that would be appreciated. I'd like to know where I stand before contacting the seller.

MO!, Jan 10, 2007
  10. MO!

lordsummit moderate mod

essentially with ebay it's caveat emporer as far as I'm aware. You have their protection for what it's worth, but not really anything else. The seller is based in the States, so UK law doesn't apply. Really you're at the behest of Nikon, so I think you'll have to hope that either they'll honour the warranty, or that the seller will replace your camera. The sellers rating is very good so if you're lucky....

lordsummit, Jan 10, 2007
  11. MO!

MO! MOnkey`ead!

I've had a reply from the seller saying they've never heard of USB this before (me either!!), but to please keep them informed.

I've just sent them a full description of exactly what happened and how I ruled out the cable and pc. I also mentioned that Nikon agree it sounds like it's the camera at fault.

I ended the reply saying Awaiting your reply... rather than demanding refund etc...

It seems wrong I've little protection when buyin an item described as refurbished and under warranty, and it turns out it could have burnt my house down! Perhaps sounds OTT, but if I'd not noticed the heat and left it unattended, who knows?

MO!, Jan 10, 2007
  12. MO!

penance Arrogant Cock

USB protocal is hi/low for data with a 5v power line to power USB devices.
    The only thing that would cause what you have described is a short on the 5v line, imo.

penance, Jan 10, 2007
  13. MO!

MO! MOnkey`ead!

:confused:

eh?

MO!, Jan 10, 2007
  14. MO!

DaveHiFi Seeking Nirvana

St Elmos

He means get another cable Mo. Or take it to a maplins shop and ask them to run a continuity test on the cable

DaveHiFi, Jan 10, 2007
  15. MO!

MO! MOnkey`ead!

As said above I tried it with two cables and BOTH did it.

MO!, Jan 10, 2007
  16. MO!

amazingtrade Mad Madchestoh fan

A short it certainly sounds like but that could be on the camera's PCB rather than the cable. I am assuming that other devices are running correctly?

amazingtrade, Jan 10, 2007
  17. MO!

MO! MOnkey`ead!

Everything else seems fine.

To clarify what I've already said.

I tried two cables and both did it.
    I tried two usb ports and both did it.

Both USB ports now work fine with other devices.

One of the cables from my mums previous 5200 and had always worked fine.

Pretty certain it's the camera.

MO!, Jan 10, 2007
  18. MO!

penance Arrogant Cock

Not quite as Mo had mentioned that he tried 2 cables. I meant that there is probably a fault on the USB power rail within the camera, therefore the camera should be repaired or replaced.

penance, Jan 10, 2007
  19. MO!

MO! MOnkey`ead!

The seller replies and has said they can get it sorted under the warranty very quickly and will send me a replacement.

They'll also credit my paypal account with a fiver toward postage.

Still not exactly happy it happened in the first place, but glad I seem to have had a result.

MO!, Jan 11, 2007
Ask a Question