Flying Ants!!!

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by cookiemonster, Jul 9, 2003.

1. cookiemonster

cookiemonster

I'm actually not sure whether it was illegal or not, both to have the air gun and to fire it at starlings- the neighbours did complain though - i mean he was firing the thing in a built up residential area with kids playing out and that - it is understandable in that respect, plus he was usually firing at folks houses, and telephone masts as that is where they were usually perched, ready to descend down and dump on his car. Not sure where the law stands on shooting birds like that. He had a shotgun too which he did have a license for - but thankfully took that out into the woods for rabbits and other various flying specimens.

cookiemonster, Jul 10, 2003
  2. cookiemonster

MO! MOnkey`ead!

How exactly did you piss them off with your nuts? Sounds a little bit strange to me!!!

MO!, Jul 10, 2003
  3. cookiemonster

julian2002 Muper Soderator

mo,
    i have absolutely no idea how my nads offended the ant. maybe it was intimidated or maybe it crawled up my shorts leg and got a bit lost and confused. maybe it had just broken up with it's girlfriend or was hoping that my nads could protect the nest from an invading hoarde of grasshoppers but when it got no reply was driven into a biting frenzy.
    probably though i just sat on the thing and it decided to crawl into my shorts and bite me whilst i was smoking.
    cheers

julian

julian2002, Jul 10, 2003
  4. cookiemonster

MO! MOnkey`ead!

maybe ;)

MO!, Jul 10, 2003
  5. cookiemonster

Chea Johndle Bizarre Serpent Foomaster

Maybe not;)

Chea Johndle, Jul 10, 2003
  6. cookiemonster

sideshowbob Trisha

Sounds like bollocks to me...

-- Ian

sideshowbob, Jul 10, 2003
  7. cookiemonster

michaelab desafinado

Couldn't agree more. Wasps should be up for specicide. :JPS:

On the ant thing, I was camping in the South of France a few years ago and noticed an ant trail (motorway more like it :D) passing through the tent, so...carefully making sure the tent wouldn't get burnt I blowtorched them all with a spraycan of deodorant lit with a lighter - worked a treat :D

Michael.

michaelab, Jul 10, 2003
  8. cookiemonster

julian2002 Muper Soderator

precisely....
    mine!

julian2002, Jul 10, 2003
  9. cookiemonster

MO! MOnkey`ead!

Has there ever been a reported case of a human being eaten by ants? There were loads of them when I walked home from work tonight! Don't normaly see them in the night! Perhaps the knew I was coming!!!

MO!, Jul 11, 2003
  10. cookiemonster

cookiemonster

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/1999/09/990923071322.htm

The above seems to be more about ants biting humans, rather than actually eating them, which eventually can lead to death......

....i remember watching a film when i was younger though, where this guy fell into a pit, and was engulfed by ants which subsequently killed him, i would presume initially by suffocation followed by the feast. Not sure what it was called, and whether or not it was mere fantasy.

...i know in these survival programmes they say never to step on an ant trail in the jungle or wherever, as they will quickly ascend your leg, and whatever consequences that enatils.

So not sure about eating, but i would not take the chance. It seems to be these fire ants which are the biggest risk. I think Jules is probably lucky to still have both bollocks intact. Godd job it was only the one ant.

cookiemonster, Jul 11, 2003
  11. cookiemonster

michaelab desafinado

There are certainly cases in South America where cows that have been asleep during the night in the middle of an ant trail have simply been "eaten through" - NOTHING get's in the way of an ant trail :eek:

I think stepping into a serious ant trail made of heavy duty tropical ants would not be a pleasant experience!

Michael.

michaelab, Jul 11, 2003
  12. cookiemonster

badchamp Thermionic Member

Saw a film once many years ago about a massive trail of jungle ants -v- small colony of humans, where one character on night watch, fell asleep and was eaten by those very same ants. Gave me nightmares for weeks after. :crazy: In fact its still a very powerful image !!!!!

badchamp, Jul 11, 2003
Ask a Question