flying mole 2

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by 4WD, May 8, 2007.

1. 4WD

4WD

Wired up the new FM monoblock's to my bedroom speakers - the new Dynaudio Focus 140. Dac is benchmark linked to cd/dvd primare transport for general entertainment. The whole bundle is tiny, with the amps no larger than the dac, all sitting on a side chest. In fact the amps ar so smal they are hidden behind the cd player. It's no more obtrusive than a clock radio.

The result is shocking! The scale and sheer depth of sub bass extension is mind blowing. Makes my previous AML1 seem like ipod speakers. It really sounds like there is a decent sub in the room when playing the new Biosphere cd. Overall sounds are clean, clear and smooth. I'll see how it develops over the next few weeks. Apparently the dyns need 200 hours run in. Also their new tweeter seems smoother too btw.

For the size and price it's a damn miracle. My contact at Bryston was 100% right - these embarrass some rather expensive amps. Not because they are better, just that they get 99% as close for 10% the price and size. Makes me feel a bit of a fool for lashing out so much money in the past really. I now have ideas for the lounge system :)

I went for the balanced XLR inputs, which means model: DAD-M100 Pro BB

With these benefits the future is definately digital imho

Paul

4WD, May 8, 2007
  2. 4WD

Dom_ --->

Hey, i have been thinking about a pair of these for a while now.
    Couple of questions though, are you using a pre amp or just the cd player.
    Where did you get them from as the distributor button on the flying mole site doesnt work.
    Finally... Do you know anything about the 12v version? As i have always liked the idea of a battery powered amp.

Dom_, May 8, 2007
  3. 4WD

4WD

You can get them cheaper through Canfords or Dolphin music online. Preamp is also the dac - Benchmark dac1. However the power amps have a volume control if required too. No idea on the 12v option.

4WD, May 9, 2007
  4. 4WD

Coda II getting there slowly

Can you not also buy direct from Japan?

flyingmole.co.jp

then 'buy now'

JPY106,000 for a pair including shipping, don't know how it compares once you add in duty.

Coda II, May 9, 2007
  5. 4WD

4WD

Import duty, postage costs and zero warranty makes it a bit pointless imho. Many things can be sourced cheaper, but that's not the same as value :)

4WD, May 9, 2007
  6. 4WD

Dom_ --->

I am also torn between these and the Flying Mole DAD-M310. But i can find little info of these, other than the fact that they seem to be beefed up M100's and only £200 more each (ha. only.)

Dom_, May 9, 2007
  7. 4WD

4WD

It looks about twice the size in height. Depends how loud you want to go I guess. Mine are for the bedroom, so 160rms into 4ohm dynaudio's is pretty decent as it is.

4WD, May 10, 2007
  8. 4WD

Gregm

R U sure about those 160W?

According to the blurb (link above), it's more like 33W continuous into 8ohm and ~60W (?) into 4. Not bad anyway.

Gregm, May 10, 2007
  9. 4WD

4WD

4WD, May 10, 2007
Ask a Question