FM Tuner advice

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by alby, Oct 18, 2007.

1. alby

alby Its good enough for Jazz!

Like many of you out there I have the redoubtable Denon TU 260 mk11 tuner and would say that I am blessed, in that I live in that triangular oasis between the M25, M26 and M20, in continual earshot of motorway traffic but also within spitting distance of the Wrotham FM transmitter . I have superb FM reception any time night or day and am always happy to listen to my radio and frequently do, and what I was wanting to know was whether I would notice a discernable improvement in the quality of my FM stereo sound if I upgraded my Tuner .I listen to the main BBC stations – Music and general as well as some of the excellent independent stations (e.g. XFM) . So new Tuner ? or would I be better advised to spend my hard earned elsewhere, particularly as I am aware that the days of FM reception are potentially numbered , I have tried DAB and did not like it at all - returned it for a refund.

Thoughts and advice please

alby, Oct 18, 2007
  2. alby

murray johnson

Try a Leak Troughline III, (preferably not refurbished with 'audiophile' grade components) I think you'll find that gives a significant improvement.

murray johnson, Oct 18, 2007
  3. alby

alby Its good enough for Jazz!

I have had a quick google search and they seem to go for £75 - £150 , almost pocket money , but because I am clueless I am likely to buy from a dealer at the higher end of the range , or perhaps from a forum member , I shall keep a look out .

Thanks for the advice

alby, Oct 18, 2007
  4. alby

murray johnson

They run the valves very gently in the Leak and they'll last years without being changed. The quality you can get from it particularly on R3 is astonishing. It may be the best source you have on many occasions.

Mike Solomon at London Sound can service them sympathetically if it ever needs it.

http://www.londonsound.org/

murray johnson, Oct 18, 2007
  5. alby

banpe2006

agreed...i have one and it sounds great on orchestral stuff....not so good if youre into radio one etc. doesnt like hash stations....also depends on the quality of decoder you use...a strong signal is of great benefit, so you should be ok....

banpe2006, Oct 18, 2007
  6. alby

murray johnson

Mine's actually mono wired to 2 channel which I prefer to the stock stereo decoder version. Doesn't impair my enjoyment at all.

murray johnson, Oct 19, 2007
  7. alby

hifi addict

I like the Leak, but i came across the radford valve tuner. I was amazed at the sound I would have one over a magnum! and I have owed an MD108.

I havn't seen many around but worth looking for. Its vey unasuming small cream colour with a chrome strip around the edge.

Again like Murray says, Mono into 2 chanels doesn't take away from the enjoyment of the music

hifi addict, Oct 19, 2007
  8. alby

hifi addict

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

a couple of pictures of the radford

9. alby

Purite Audio Purite Audio

Your knob needs a polish.

Purite Audio, Oct 19, 2007
  10. alby

hifi addict

How rude! It's not mine its just a picture I got off the web. I sold mine a couple of years ago. If i remember i took it in PX and lefdt in the corner of my lock up. I only plugged it in when someone was inerested in it. As i mentioned it took me by suprise. Do Alnic do an FM tuner? (funny winking smilie thingy)

11. alby

Purite Audio Purite Audio

Post a picture of your knob then, actually don't ,one knob on this forum is quite enough.

Purite Audio, Oct 19, 2007
  12. alby

eisenach

I got an Audiolab 8000T off e-bay earlier this year. They turn up quite frequently and go for around £250. Delighted with it. FM may not be here for ever (but, then, neither are we!) but it'll last a good few years yet.
    I didn't like DAB either: I've got one of those pod-like things that outputs an optical signal and my DAC does its best with it, but...
    I can't see much of a future for DAB for domestic use. If I'm not listening to FM, I get radio off the internet. I've even got a £40 Logik internet radio for the kitchen. It connects to the internet via the wireless router and works a treat.

eisenach, Oct 19, 2007
  13. alby

stickman

For <£50 you can pick up any number of excellent FM tuners off ebay (ebay.de being the best) e.g.

Sony ST-A6B
    Optonica ST-3636
    Onkyo-T9

I have all of the above, from ebay in close to mint condition, the Sony was the most expensive at £40, the other cost <£20.

Or, you could indulge in a bidding war for a Pioneer TX-9800, Accuphase T-100 / T-101.

stickman, Oct 19, 2007
  14. alby

SMEagol Because we wants it...

pm sent.

SMEagol, Oct 19, 2007
  15. alby

DSJR

If you're in a strong signal area, don't forget the Quad FM3! Nothing that a few supply cap replacements won't sort out and it took me by surprise too, especially at a time I was attending a lot of Proms concerts and listening to others via one...

DSJR, Oct 24, 2007
  16. alby

banpe2006

Is there someone on zg who works with quad gear? I have a quad fm4 that needs a small repair..it keeps blowing the 60 ma fuse located at the rear of the unit....always happens after 4 -5 mins of being switched on......any ideas?

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 25, 2007
    banpe2006, Oct 25, 2007
  17. alby

lordsummit moderate mod

Try Quad themselves, they're very helpful and cheap :)

lordsummit, Oct 25, 2007
  18. alby

PSXmad2

Is this any good, not mine but I have heard it and it sounds fine.
    KT917

PSXmad2, Oct 25, 2007
  19. alby

Neil

I'd second trying a Quad FM3 - I was so surprised by it that my "radio" system in the bedroom is FM3 - 33 / 303 (303 with Net Audio upgrade). Not the best for Radio 1 etc but a wonderful listen for R3 & 4. One tuner which I have been really impressed by recently was a NAD 412, not what you'd expect at all, a first class sound - I could tell little difference between it and the Naim (don't recall if it was a NAT 01 or 04??) tuner it was being compared to!
    I've not heard a Radford but the Leaks I've listened to have been good - but not streets ahead of Quad.

Neil, Oct 25, 2007
  20. alby

lordsummit moderate mod

I bought this a few years ago:
    [​IMG]

best £60 I ever spent on hi-fi.

Look at www.fmtunerinfo.com. If you want a real taste of the hi-end tuners, you need a jap special, with as many gangs and as many filters as you can find. Best makes are Sansui, Marantz, Pioneer, Kenwood/Trio. Or if you're minted look for Accuphase or Mcintosh (not Japanese I know, but I wish I could afford one!). Some Luxman stuff is fantastic as well, but tread carefully, some is rather basic and sells on the name only.

lordsummit, Oct 25, 2007
Ask a Question