food for free...

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by mr cat, Aug 23, 2006.

1. mr cat

mr cat Member of the month

mr cat, Aug 23, 2006
  2. mr cat

I-S Good Evening.... Infidel

Have certainly picked a great many wild blackberries. Where my parents live they grow by the millions. We even know the character of each patch (one is a sort of baseline, one patch has smaller, tart berries, one has much larger, juicier and very sweet berries, etc)

I-S, Aug 23, 2006
  3. mr cat

thats cool - I know a patch that is probably due in the next few weeks... there was also a field full of elderflowers when I was there in June - when I told my lady about this she mentioned that we should go - but it was all harvested!! and the plants that we've seen around since then are dead - not sure if this is because they're out of season or due to the hot weather..?

mr cat, Aug 23, 2006
  4. mr cat

zygote23

Wild Food by Roger Phillips is a great buy as well.
    I used to do food for free walks and talks at country parks around N. Ireland.

You should try Elder Flower fritters mmmmmm and Sloe Gin mmmmmm.

zygote23, Aug 23, 2006
  5. mr cat

garyi Wish I had a Large Member

Blackberries are good this year, there is also a fair amount of sloes around coming on, get them picked at first frost, if it appears first frost is not coming pick them then freeze them, then defrost them, split them and plonk in gin with a dash of sugar, leave for one year. Yum Yum.

garyi, Aug 23, 2006
  6. mr cat

la toilette Downright stupid

Loads of blackberries round my way are ripe already. Spotted some Damsons as well when out walking near my Mums gaff on the edge of the Cotswold escarpment, not ready yet though. Also something I've never tried......freshwater crayfish! Took a walk round a local resevoir a couple of days ago and there were crayfish claws around where seagulls or whatever had caught them - they were really big, as big as large crab claws. Supposed to be well tasty! Now, how do you catch them?

...and don't forget it's nearing mushroom time.......

Allotments are great for foraging too, there's always loads of food in them, tee hee, best after dark though ;) .

la toilette, Aug 23, 2006
  7. mr cat

Uncle Ants In Recordeo Speramus

Blackberries yes. We've made wild rosehip syrup before now. Wild garlic is very good and abundant around May time (the flowers and stalks) and the bulbs later. And Mackerel fishing in season (Mackerels are dumb and you don't need to be an ace angler) and mussels, so long as its rocks by a nice clean beach (most of cornwall is fine for them). Wild Sorrel's good in salad as of course are humble dandelion leaves. And Nettles of course are an excellent alternative to spinach.

Uncle Ants, Aug 23, 2006
  8. mr cat

Uncle Ants In Recordeo Speramus

You make a mesh cage with a sort of funnel end. they can climb in but not out (you can buy them, but you could make one with some chicken wire or the rigt sort of fencing). Weight it and drop it into the river by the bank and come back a day later. bate it with a bit of dead mackerel or something

PS. They are very tasty so long as you get em from a river with a bit of flow. If they've been living in fairly still water they might be a bit muddy tasting

Uncle Ants, Aug 23, 2006
  9. mr cat

Anex Thermionic

Can you do that without a license?

Anex, Aug 23, 2006
  10. mr cat

my lady and I went walking on sunday and saw a spot where there was elderberries and some blackberries so we decided to pop back down there last night...

when we got there we discovered that the blackberries had gone!
    anyway, we continues to walk to a more secluded spot and managed to fill 1 and 2/3s of those cardboard punnets (that you get mushrooms in!) with elderflowers and blackberries within an hour....job well done I say!

mr cat, Sep 5, 2006
  11. mr cat

midlifecrisis Firm member

there was an old geezer on local TV who eats roadkill - squirrels, hedgehogs, dogs, you name it...:eek: he said that even if it's gone greenish, as long as it's cooked for a long time it's fine to eat....

midlifecrisis, Sep 5, 2006
  12. mr cat

yeah, I seen a program about that a short while ago...Hmm...not sure if I'd do that like!

we went out again last night and in this field we saw about 20 varieties of mushrooms...wow..!! no magic ones tho...sigh...

mr cat, Sep 6, 2006
  13. mr cat

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

does anybody else plant up the back garden for fruit?

I get apples and plums at the moment. Next is a herb garden.

bottleneck, Sep 6, 2006
  14. mr cat

no - but my grans old house she used to have an apple tree, raspberries, strwaberries, gooseberries and mint!

I've gota back yard but we're trying to grow a few herbs tho...

mr cat, Sep 6, 2006
  15. mr cat

la toilette Downright stupid

We've got two eating apple trees in the back garden. We had stacks of strawberries and raspberries from the allotment, in fact so many raspberries that a lot went to waste :( . We also have a 'herb corner'. I also just discovered a plum tree where I work once a week, so my fruit bowl is full at the mo'!

If you like growing your own stuff then you should really check out whether there's allotment space near you, we only pay about 15 or 20 quid a year for ours and it's quite big (bigger than our garden)! It's also absolutely brilliant if you have kids, my two love being over there rooting around for bugs and getting covered in dirt...and they learn stacks about plants and wildlife. Quite a lot of work of course, but the food....heaven....and we're even 100% organic, no chemicals alowed, lots of bloody caterpillars.

la toilette, Sep 6, 2006
  16. mr cat

rsand I can't feel my toes

My next door neighbour has a bramley apple orchard and quite a few branches overhang my garden.... strangely they never see much crop from those branches.... has anyone noticed the darker evenings :JPS:

rsand, Sep 7, 2006
  17. mr cat

yeah, most of the places I go seem to be on farmers land...not sure what would happen if a farmer came along and I had a full punnet!

edit - whilst they're on farmers land(?) - I'm always public footpaths or near by... ;)

mr cat, Sep 7, 2006
  18. mr cat

lAmBoY Lothario and Libertine

lAmBoY, Sep 7, 2006
  19. mr cat

technobear Ursine Audiophile

Yep!

Blackcurrants, redcurrants, gooseberries, blackberries and raspberries.

I've had a bumper crop of raspberries this year. For some reason the birds don't eat them. I have to get in quick for all the others :D

technobear, Sep 7, 2006
  20. mr cat

yeah, we went out again last night and got a load of blackberries - almost a cardboard punnet full!

I also discovered about 15 sloeberry shrubs...yeeha!
    will make a load of sloe gin and wine...

mr cat, Sep 8, 2006
Ask a Question