For the plug polishers...

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by I-S, Oct 9, 2004.

1. I-S

I-S Good Evening.... Infidel

I recently had occasion at work to do some measurements using 0-10ohm trimming pots. I had to balance several of these pots to the same resistance.

However, I was finding that I could not get the pots to read less than around 0.68 ohms (using an agilent 6.5 digit bench dmm). I was also having significant problems in getting consistent readings, as they were fluctating rather.

Long story short, I took apart the test leads and cleaned both the wire-connector contact points and also the connector (4mm) surfaces. I also cleaned the probe contact surfaces. Both were done simply using Isopropyl alcohol and some tissue paper.

The result was that I was now getting consistent readings at 0.127 ohms, without having changed anything else at all.

In the scheme of things for a line level connection this is pretty much insignificant as the input impedance of a line input is usually 20-30k ohms, but on a speaker connection this is absolutely a significant level.

I-S, Oct 9, 2004
  2. I-S

penance Arrogant Cock

Isaac
    had a similar experience at work.
    We use Thandor dual adjustable power supplies for 4 point voltage test as an aid to debug. One unit would not operate on any SCSI address above 1, I spent ages testing the SCSI controller chip:rolleyes:
    Cleaned the power leads, 4 of, and problem disapeared.

penance, Oct 9, 2004
  3. I-S

julian2002 Muper Soderator

a couple of weekends ago i deoxited every connection i could find - from squeezebox to b&w's. i thought it made an audiable difference - especially as the cotton buds were turning black on a lot of the older din connections.
    worth a try i say.
    cheers

julian

julian2002, Oct 9, 2004
  4. I-S

analoguekid Planet Rush

I use deoxit then pro gold periodically, not sure if I've heard a difference, but it makes sense costs little and makes me happy.

analoguekid, Oct 9, 2004
  5. I-S

benjohnson1610

and that is what its all about

benjohnson1610, Oct 15, 2004
  6. I-S

analoguekid Planet Rush

Ohhhhh hoakey coakey coakey.....

analoguekid, Oct 15, 2004
Ask a Question