for the valve people

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Lt Cdr Data, Jul 31, 2004.

1. Lt Cdr Data

Lt Cdr Data om

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 31, 2004
    Lt Cdr Data, Jul 31, 2004
  2. Lt Cdr Data

julian2002 Muper Soderator

it looks like they have a dealer based in sheffield! i think you'll be financing the cost of shipping from china to sheffield then sheffield to you. still if they can supply a shanling t200 for 999 quid (less 5% if you pay by cheque - shyeah right) it may be woth adding a couple of hunderd on for shipping plus a dealer garuntee - if you get the thing in the first place that is....
    cheers

julian

julian2002, Jul 31, 2004
  3. Lt Cdr Data

Lt Cdr Data om

I got a nice amp from china, it actually got here, and took 1-1/2 months on a ship, not too bad.

4. Lt Cdr Data

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

Data, this companys popped up before.

From memory this company is the manufacturer of the ''ICON'' range of valve amps.

Have a look at their website, theyve got some really interesting amps, innovative, well designed and point to point wired stuff.

They really do need a good UK translator for their adverts though, maybe we should apply!

God help the likes of AR, CJ, canary etc in 5-10 years time..

bottleneck, Jul 31, 2004
  5. Lt Cdr Data

Lt Cdr Data om

God help icon and a certain other, he who shall not be named.

6. Lt Cdr Data

Tenson Moderator

It should be noted the Pre-amp in the picture is actually the MC-7R not the MC-3R. I own the MC-7R and it really is very, very good. So I expect the 3R is as well although I have been told it has a slower sound. Still.. £60 postage :O

MC-3R:
    [​IMG]

Tenson, Aug 1, 2004
  7. Lt Cdr Data

BL21DE3 aka 'Lucky'

BL21DE3, Aug 1, 2004
  8. Lt Cdr Data

Lt Cdr Data om

I know OF Haden, he's a good man. I have bought one of his preamps.Yet to arrive.
    The powers look great, I am sure they will be worth it, bargain price.

Lt Cdr Data, Aug 1, 2004
  9. Lt Cdr Data

BL21DE3 aka 'Lucky'

Lt Cdr Data, cheers for the reply. I actually found these by looking at your post about the tube preamp. I'm quite tempted by a pair of these as the price is certainly cheaper than I could put together a pair of similar DIY units, plus you've always got the option to tweak the units. My only concern is that at 86dB 6 Ohms, my 11L's might not be sensitive enough for them, even though the auction states they'll drive any speaker.

BL21DE3, Aug 1, 2004
  10. Lt Cdr Data

Lt Cdr Data om

I think they will be fine, I found the quads not fussy to drive.

Lt Cdr Data, Aug 1, 2004
  11. Lt Cdr Data

themadhippy seen it done it smokin it

i heard a pair of them at the hammersmith show the other year and their pretty good,they did run out of steam when asked to play a certain pink fairys track at rather silly volume but at sensible levels they were fine

themadhippy, Aug 1, 2004
  12. Lt Cdr Data

Lt Cdr Data om

oh I forgot to say, you will certainly need an active preamp with these, and I don't see any point in a tranny preamp and valve power myself, its one or t'other.
    I am 99% sure they are VERY similar to the wad kcl86 or whatever its called.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 1, 2004
    Lt Cdr Data, Aug 1, 2004
  13. Lt Cdr Data

BL21DE3 aka 'Lucky'

Cheers for the comments guys. Lt Cdr Data, I was considering using my RA-02 as a preamp since I don't think I can stretch my budget to include the matching preamp, though it is a bargain at the price he's offering. You're right about the similarity to the Kecl82, it's basically both monoblocks in one chassis with some WAD alterations. Guess I just have to do my homework now and decide whether I want to take the risk of buying blind.

BL21DE3, Aug 1, 2004
  14. Lt Cdr Data

Tenson Moderator

They look like re-badged 'Antique Soundlab' amps. Model
    'wave 8'. I think they are now actually discontinued designs from ASL and they now only make THESE

I have heard great things about them for what they cost, the only bad comment really being that they are not greatly smooth for a class A valve amp... but again for the money what can you ask?!

Review of them here: http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/equipment/0302/aslwave8.htm

Why not get modified versions? http://www.responseaudio.com/wave8-20.htm

Tenson, Aug 1, 2004
  15. Lt Cdr Data

Tenson Moderator

BTW Antique Soundlab provides circuit diagrams for some of their amps so if you like DIY? Just click on the amp and look too see if it has a link for 'circuit diagram' under the picture.

http://www.divertech.com/antiquesl.html#STEREO

Tenson, Aug 1, 2004
  16. Lt Cdr Data

BL21DE3 aka 'Lucky'

Tenson cheers for the info, I already have the schematics for the Wave 8 monoblocks, courtesy of another source. The only problem with going the DIY route is the cost of the mains and output transformers, they cost almost as much to buy as the complete EBay amps. If I had an ounce of skill in designing tube amps then I'd modify the Wave 8 schematic for more output power and to utilise the maplin valve transformers, but unfortunately I can only follow schematics and I don't think I've got the patience to try and learn.

BL21DE3, Aug 1, 2004
  17. Lt Cdr Data

Thats what I thought, ref antique soundlabs.

I know I said power wasnt everything, but for just a little more you could get 20-30w..

Actually, its not so much the power, but those very small looking transformers may limit headroom somewhat.. my own amp is only 9w but it can handle most speakers due to whopping transformers/power supplies etc.

Anyone heard the antique soundlabs amp its based on?

I agree on price though, its very cheap for a valve amp.

bottleneck, Aug 1, 2004
  18. Lt Cdr Data

you could get a leak stereo 20 for about 200-300..

great fun for modifying - all point to point and its all in a line!

sounds decent too.

Here's some at the emporium

LEAK STEREO 20 average cosmetics but rebuilt nicely and sounding great 300
    LEAK STEREO 20 good condition, serviced 350
    LEAK STEREO 20 excellent, serviced 400

bottleneck, Aug 1, 2004
  19. Lt Cdr Data

Tenson Moderator

Yes output and power transformers are expensive... but those ones on the amps from Ebay will be poor quality and likely the limiting factor.

For good quality transformers go to a company called 'Sowter'

You could actually give them the wave-8 designs and ask them to specify the transformers required, then you can just replace them to seriously upgrade the amps.

They helped me work out the transformers I would need for a design I was looking at, although I never went through with it in the end.

Could I get a copy of the Wave-8 designs? They aren't on the site anymore, I think I used to have them but can't find them now >.<

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 2, 2004
    Tenson, Aug 1, 2004
  20. Lt Cdr Data

BL21DE3 aka 'Lucky'

Tenson, thanks for the transformer suggestions, if you PM me your email address and I'll send you the PDF. Though I don't know if they're the original ASL schematics or ones drawn from a DIYer's examination of a Wave 8 unit.

bottleneck, cheers for the suggestion of the Leak 20, not so sure about spending £300+ on an antique though. I take your comments about the transformers though, as a lot of DIY tube designs/designers comment on the fact that you need decent mains/output transformers to actually get a decent sound. I just wish the DIY parts were more affordable. I decided to contact the EBay seller to ask a few more details and about the compatibility of the amps with 11L's. Apparently he had a pair of 11L's on part-ex and found they sounded good with the amps. I guess I'll just need to consider my options a bit more. I really appreciate all the input that everyones offered though, it's given me plenty to consider.

BL21DE3, Aug 1, 2004
Ask a Question