For those meadowlark fans...

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by lAmBoY, Sep 16, 2003.

1. lAmBoY

lAmBoY Lothario and Libertine

lAmBoY, Sep 16, 2003
  2. lAmBoY

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

I was right with him... until this gem...

''As mentioned in my recent GutWire NotePad review, as well constructed as the Kestrels are, they do remain amenable to tweaking. I found the addition of a NotePad atop each speaker, as well as substituting the standard steel spikes for Black Diamond Racing cones, to greatly enhance the Kestrels' exceptional musicality even further. ''

a notebook on top of each speaker?! :D :rolleyes:

I think I must be missing something.... can you get megabuck audiophile notebooks? or is the DIY WHSmith alternative just as good hehehe

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 17, 2003
    bottleneck, Sep 17, 2003
  3. lAmBoY

julian2002 Muper Soderator

probably more like an audiophool mouse mat as in (musical) note - (mouse) pad. still sounds like utter bollocks to me though. but if it floats his boat who am i to say no.

cheers

julian

julian2002, Sep 17, 2003
  4. lAmBoY

merlin

Yep guys, you are right again - utter bollocks.

Of course it is, but you ain't tried it have you:rolleyes: "Wow, that guitar sounds real!!!" Utter bollocks, it's a series of tones produced by a computer reading from an optical storage medium:rolleyes:

In fact it's all bollocks really isn't it:confused: VTA is bollocks, isolated circuit boards are bollocks, offboard power supplies are bollocks.

Sorry guys for the ripost but to me, you really are starting to sound like broken records here.

merlin, Sep 17, 2003
  5. lAmBoY

julian2002 Muper Soderator

merlin,
    you're on a slipery slope here. if you don;t check yourself you'll be freezing pictures of yourself and praying to the mighty belt. no, only joking.

you're right though, i haven't heard them (the note pads)however i've heard many of the tweeks put forward in recent threads and have found very few of them to actually improve the sound in a meaningful way to my ears.

i consider myself to be like the psycic investigator james randi. i'm willing to believe that these things can make a big positive difference but i haven't heard one that has yet, in my system.

cheers

julian

julian2002, Sep 17, 2003
  6. lAmBoY

sideshowbob Trisha

I take it you have some of these notepads, Merlin? What are they? What do they do?

-- Ian

sideshowbob, Sep 17, 2003
  7. lAmBoY

merlin

No Ian, sadly I am bereft of such items:D

From the look of the piccie, it would appear that they are some kind of cabinet damping device:confused: Sadly these things can make a difference:rolleyes:

It's all to do with energy dissipation again i believe, much like the BDR cones. The cones act in a different way to a standard spike, they are not designed to transfer the cabinet's energy directly into the floor, thereby coupling the two.

I am trying the same thing using RDC cones on my subs, but will not know how they work for a few days yet:rolleyes: If you have a lively speaker cabinet, you can change the sound noticeably by adding mass to the top. I prefer not to bother to be honest. I reckon most speaker designers are masters of the black art of music making and if we don't like what tey do, we should buy from another manufacturer.

merlin, Sep 17, 2003
  8. lAmBoY

I-S Good Evening.... Infidel

Meadowlark cabinets aren't exactly flimsy, from experience...

I would have liked to have got kestrel 2s or swifts (the smaller version), but at the price I paid for the kestrel hotrods...

I-S, Sep 17, 2003
  9. lAmBoY

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

pardon me for knocking the control of cabinet resonance with audiophile stationary.

It wont happen again :D

NB**

I hear the eeyore cut-to-shape notebook from WHS (£1.49) cuts down cabinet resonance around 15khz

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 17, 2003
    bottleneck, Sep 17, 2003
  10. lAmBoY

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

I bloody well hope not Too :mad: ;) next you'll be picketing staples :D

wadia-miester, Sep 17, 2003
Ask a Question