for WM , just being nosey

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by kermit, Jun 27, 2003.

1. kermit

kermit still dreaming.......

earlier in the week , there was a mention of lim valve over at hi fi choice , which kinda brought the thought to mind .
    i was just wondering did anything come of the "amp challange"or did it never materialize ?
    just wondering really :confused:

kermit, Jun 27, 2003
  2. kermit

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

I invited LIM to the valve and vinyl day, but unfortunately he didnt reply to my PM.

I feel he has withdrawn from forums, and this is a shame.

I think another bake off day in the future would be good with :

World Audio Design
    Icon Audio
    Antique Soundlabs
    Affordable Valve company

......amps all on hand.

All four provide valve equipment at considerably below £1000 (as low as £280 for the basic WAD kit got that tommorow ;) oops let that slip).

This kind of comparative group listening experience could lead to write ups that could become part of a zerogain back catalogue of equipment discussions. Somewhere where we could refer interested parties..

I really see that as a valuable way to progress the site - what does anybody else think of this as a potential future idea?

(it could be followed with CDP bake offs at set prices for example... our own version of a group write up!)

Chris

bottleneck, Jun 27, 2003
  3. kermit

lAmBoY Lothario and Libertine

Sounds like an excellent idea.

lAmBoY, Jun 27, 2003
  4. kermit

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

Richard, I Have to say Lim did offer, 2 dates I couldn't do one, the other he nevered repiled to, so in answer NO it didn't
    Chris excellent idea, you could have regional ones, say one with Dean's (up north), one down at Henry's(south west) and one maybe at Mr motorhead's, that will give all those non london boys a chance to sample the delights??? of valves, don't forget to warn your local electric board about the sudden power surges at M.K. tomorrow have fun. WM

wadia-miester, Jun 27, 2003
  5. kermit

kermit still dreaming.......

its a shame it never happened:(

perhaps lim will make an appearence some time soon ,as i feel he made a refreshing change .
    on the subject of refrshing changes , hello to merlin , nice to see you back on the forum .

good idea on the bake offs , should be fun :)
    must try to get to one as i,ve never heard a valve amp:eek:

kermit, Jun 27, 2003
  6. kermit

MO! MOnkey`ead!

1) Who is Lim?
    2) The "group tests" sound like a great idea!
    3) I've only heard valves twice. Once a mega bucks set up at a show with enough lights on it to out do Blackpool! The other was the guy who I bought my speakers off. Think he was also using a Cyrus CD (though I think his listening was 50/50 cd/vinyl). After a few tunes through my speakers, on came his huge standMOunts! Not sure what they were, bit plain looking wooden things with a the bottom quater or so of the cabinet open/ported? Listened MOstly to female vocal through these and they were sweeeeeeet! Think he said he was looking to upgrade to some electrostatics though.

4) Why am I sat in the house bored on a friday night when it's pay day and i'm going to be working the rest of the weekend! ahhhhh!!!!!!!

MO!, Jun 27, 2003
  7. kermit

Lt Cdr Data om

I have had a couple of cheapo valve amps, inc lims and icon and some WADs....

The icon is a bit bright with a slighlty congensted bass...
    With Lims it is very easy on the ear, not boring, everything is homogenised, so the vocals/leads do not dominate...
    The wads are good for the cash...
    ....out of all of them, a wad 6550 was the best, but its splitting hairs...I was quite fond of lims, they are all pretty good though, and its not nite and day between any of them....
    ...I can just imagine a first posting on this BB

"science vs hifi", and listen for the groans:D

I have a feeling lim has been busy, hence the radio silence, but would love to hear the result of a days competition....keep emailing him or telephone him and he may eventually agree to a date...

Lt Cdr Data, Jun 28, 2003
Ask a Question