Forte Audio

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Corruption, Nov 17, 2008.

1. Corruption

Corruption

Corruption, Nov 17, 2008
  2. Corruption

Werner

Werner, Nov 18, 2008
  3. Corruption

YNMOAN Trade - AudioFlat

Yes, as Werner says above - this is as I remember Forte.

YNMOAN, Nov 18, 2008
  4. Corruption

Parkandbike

Forte made different amps in similar cases. I had the model 1a which looked almost exactly the same as this, but was 50watt/channel and claimed to be all class A. This is the class AB sibling, hence the considerably higher power. All used mosfets I think, but with different bias.

The timing mentioned above is right. I bought mine in 1991/92.. The UK importers were speaker manufactuers Acoustic Energy

The comment about 220-240 volt only is odd. My model 1a was switchable between different mains voltages. I my opinion it was a great amp, BUT the toroidal dual voltage transformer sometmes buzzed like hell and for this reason I insisted on upgrading to the later Model 4 (also Class A, but slightly less industrial in looks!) It worked faultlessly for years. I still have it and have been wondering whether to use it in a second system or move it on, so I will be intersted to see what this fetches). It is possible that a previous owner has replaced the transformer in an attempt to reduce the buzz. He mentions the hum on switch on and I would say that is normal, but with my 1a the hum was sometimes unacceptable in what was a fairly quiet house. FWIW on 60 hz, in North America, it did not hum at all.

At its current price this could be very good value but the auction has some time to run. For my money the Class A versions give the better sound and I came across a bit of a Forte Model 4 fan club on one of the US fora.

Parkandbike, Nov 18, 2008
  5. Corruption

Parkandbike

Re-listed

This seems to have been relisted- unless they had two.

Parkandbike, Nov 30, 2008
  6. Corruption

giant haystacks

Hi my friend has a Treshold amp it looks just like the old Krell ksa 50 -80 and just as heavy . It is a total power thing bangs and crashes are very clear not something that you could enjoy for hours. It is more controling than charming .It would probably be good for front two in a av set up where a bit of excitement would be good or maybe some of those old ribbon speakers or maybe if it was attenuated which would leave the amp wound up it would be ok for listening to a broader range .For a rocker it would blow the back window out .
    if this other amp is expensive he is not using this and pm me
    nelson pass i have heard the first watt i think a little thing plesant similar to lavardin sound cant coment much more

giant haystacks, Nov 30, 2008
  7. Corruption

fat

I still have a Forte 1a and can say it's very very good. 50W class A, imagine it as a Sugden with a bit more muscle. If you want an audition, you can come to mine, drop me a PM.

fat, Dec 1, 2008
  8. Corruption

Parkandbike

I agree with your assessment, but the e-Bay offer in Corruption's original link is for a model 3 (not a 1a) and that is a Class AB. As I mentioned it now seems to be up for auction again. I've not heard one of those. I have a model 4 (successor to the 1a) boxed up, but I'm hoping to set up a second system shortly to make use of it.

Parkandbike, Dec 1, 2008
Ask a Question