forum popularity ...

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by bottleneck, Sep 13, 2009.

1. bottleneck

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

Hi all

I was just reading about how sometimes the forum gets busier and at other times quieter in another thread.

It was about time I told myself that real congratulations are in order for ....

ROB! - well done on the threads recently involving recorded WAV files. This really sparked up the forum...

SCOTT - the work done on 'zerogain visits Singapore' again really good thread making, and it made for brilliant reading.

So.. here's a favour to ask the people who have been here for a long time posting....

Have you got something interesting planned? Perhaps you intend to restore a classic piece of hifi? build a pair of speakers from scratch? build a dedicated listening room?

Whatever you have planned for 2009/2010 - could I ask people to consider
    a) taking lots of photos
    b) taking time to start an interesting and topical thread?

There is way TOO MUCH arguing, and way TOO LITTLE of the above.

I'm guilty of it too.

I'm going to take my own advice, because I've been posting on here for years and I care about the place. If you care about it too, can you help make it a more interesting and varied place?

Please? :)

Lastly, a call to all the silent ''viewers'' out there....

You know who you are !!! - Isn't it time to come out of the woodwork? Start a new thread and join in the fun?

Apparently Zerogain has an active readership from Romania and Vietnam ! (reallY !!!) - lets have some people from round the world joining in. Tell us all about music and hifi in your country.

I hope people take this in the spirit intended and really have a go.

Come on !!

bottleneck, Sep 13, 2009
  2. bottleneck

Setting Son

A truly excellent idea.

Setting Son, Sep 13, 2009
  3. bottleneck

cooky1257

Chris, good one,
    Sooo persuasive, so smooth:), so let me get my stuff together and I'll post my JBL Be Array speaker project complete with rta shots-stand by over the next few days...
    While I'm at it I'm sure a step by step of your own handywork would be of great interest(to me defo!).

cooky1257, Sep 13, 2009
  4. bottleneck

HI Cooky!

I have two 'projects' I'm going to document in the forum over the next few months.

1) 'fugly' wet record cleaning machine... budget........ wait for it..... £30! :) pictures and easy steps for people to copy...

2) soundproofing a room, making a dedicated hifi room (after a planned house move)..pictures and step by step again.

Cooky - a JBL Be Array sounds fantastic! really look forward to reading about that one.

bottleneck, Sep 13, 2009
  5. bottleneck

Telkman Nurturing Malevolence

If anyone is interested in doing a project log or write-up and wants hosting for images or needs a hand with editing photos, etc. just give me a shout! :)

Telkman, Sep 13, 2009
  6. bottleneck

Dev Moderator

JBL? I thought you were a Tannoy man!!!

But, I look forward to your posts.

Dev, Sep 13, 2009
  7. bottleneck

cooky1257

Hi Dev,
    Well..... JBL or Tannoys a bit of a hifi slapper really but have finally given in and gone over 100% to the dark side:).
    My avatar is where I'm at now, the diy 215's are in the hall and in the way so after a refurb/tidy they'll be for sale.
    This latest generation of JBL horns/Be drivers(IIR Merlin trod this path 2 years ago) is special and doable for sensible money if you know where to look.
    Cooky

cooky1257, Sep 13, 2009
  8. bottleneck

RobHolt Moderator

Thanks for the kind words Chris.
    I have a few more online type demos planned. Perhaps some valve rolling next. Real differences there I think, so might be useful as people can compare say a vintage mullard ECC83 with a modern Sovtek.

Thinking of stuff to continue the rise ZG the other day had me thinking that perhaps we could have a system review section, where one forum member visits another and writes a piece giving their impression, with pics where possible.
    A bit like those celebrity system review that Hi-Fi Choice used to run where a crew would turn up someone's house and tell their story, audio journey etc.

RobHolt, Sep 14, 2009
  9. bottleneck

Hi Cooky

I very much look forward to the thread.

As much as I admire Tannoy DC's (and they are one of the best drive units on the planet in my book) I think a seperate mid range horn (of sufficient quality) improves the mid range (albeit at the loss of the point-source thing)... you're probably thinking similar thoughts ?

Look forward to reading about your build in it's own thread, especially what you're doing crossover-wise.

Cheers
    Chris

bottleneck, Sep 14, 2009
  10. bottleneck

GTU

Hi Rob,

I'm all for reviewing systems. Anyone is welcome to visit me - please be kind!!! I live in Northumberland if anyone wants to visit. North of Morpeth, in a village on the A697.

Cheers

Graham

GTU, Sep 14, 2009
  11. bottleneck

Corruption

I'm also open to visitors wanting to review my system, I can provide tea and biscuits too :)

Based between Bristol and Bath. If anyone nearby has a valve-based system I would very much like to take a listen as I have been toying with the idea of changing to a valve power amp but would like to hear the kind of sound they produce before taking the plunge....

Neil

Corruption, Sep 14, 2009
  12. bottleneck

A new thread on 'listeners and their systems' (heavy on the photos) seems to be in order.

When I move house in about 2 months, I am happy to volunteer. I will then live M4 corridor.

bottleneck, Sep 14, 2009
  13. bottleneck

Johns Naim

Well, as a member, but non regular poster, a few thoughts.

Firstly, arguments are a real turn off. I've been unfortunately embroiled in a few over at PFM in my time, re being a Naim heretic/deserter of the brand. Some would say I deserved it. Some would say that by criticising Naim, I started it. Whatever some would say, I never enjoyed arguing, and am all for a peaceful, respectful forum and general life, enjoying the online company of others, sharing and learning more about my hobby, or kit that interests me.

As such, ad hominen attacks passed off as humour are just so tasteless and juvenile, that I simply cannot be bothered joining in on conversations/threads where this sort of egotistical forum grandstanding/bullying takes place.

It is all very well to have some sort of forum self moderation, but IMHO if people are going to continue in a line of back and forth partially veiled insults, like children having a classroom spat, then one warning, which if disregarded is followed by being asked to leave for a bit, should be di-rigeur IMHO.

I'm all for free speech, but lambasting individuals is just such poor taste, and unnecessarily lax moderation IMV, and at the end of the day, who needs it?

I certainly spend a lot less time on forums than I have in the past because of these sorts of behaviours, and tend to also spend more time on forums where there is mutual respect, camaraderie, and a good balance of objective/science based/factual comment, coupled with some subjective opinion, not the other way around.

I also like forums where there is a sense of an international membership, and not just some semi-private old boys club, with the same posters, with hidden agendas backing each other up like a lynching party when someone challenges the party line in thinking about kit for instance.

But hey, that's just my 2 cents. I recognise the mods have a hard job, and do it well, but certainly I limit my time on a lot of forums these days for the very reasons I mention.

Best Regards

Jon...

Johns Naim, Sep 15, 2009
  14. bottleneck

Samantha

Jon - I agree.

A while back there was so many of the same old 'debate' with people trotting out the same views and insults (and indeed had nothing to do with hi-fi) that I got completely switched of and now I only sometimes pay a quick visit while eating my butty at lunchtime.

Samantha, Sep 15, 2009
  15. bottleneck

Dev Moderator

I, for one miss your posts on cars etc.:(.

Dev, Sep 15, 2009
  16. bottleneck

Samantha - can you type and butty?

I think the more 'inclusive' this place becomes the better.

It was always (I felt) a place to encourage people to come.

bottleneck, Sep 15, 2009
  17. bottleneck

cooky1257

Now this could just be me so, with all due respect to the ZG laments, this for me is where it goes wrong-this is meant to be a positive thread about what members can contribute to bring things back onside so lets keep it that way eh?
    That things need improving is a given hence the OT so any moans are redundant imo.

cooky1257, Sep 15, 2009
  18. bottleneck

The Devil IHTFP

I've got a friend you should meet. Every time we meet up, at some point during the evening, he will tell me that he's "totally over" his beautiful ex-girlfriend. They split up nearly three years ago. I think the two of you would get on.

The Devil, Sep 15, 2009
  19. bottleneck

Johns Naim

As a GP you would know that post traumatic stress takes time to 'get over'. Audiophile disease is a serious thing, and has long lasting psychological consequences. Perhaps you could conduct some research into forming an AA (Audiophools Anonymous) group for the treatment/therapy thereof?

Cheers

Jon...:cool:

Johns Naim, Sep 16, 2009
  20. bottleneck

Dave Simpson Plywood King

Move over...let Dr. Dave take over...

<incense lit and some wretched New Age/Tinkly Jazz crap plays softly in the background>

Explore your pain and drift into The Light...I'm also cheaper than bub.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Dave Simpson, Sep 16, 2009
Ask a Question